DAC/Amp for SONY MDR-1A
Dec 20, 2014 at 6:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

scotty2012

Head-Fier
Hi all

I use a Google Chromebook Pixel or an iPad Mini 2 paired with the SONY MDR-1A Headphones. I stream music from Tidal.
Will the SONY PHA-3 be enough to pair with the MDR-1A'a and also, will it work with the Chromebook Pixel?

Dec 25, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #2 of 6
  Hi all

I use a Google Chromebook Pixel or an iPad Mini 2 paired with the SONY MDR-1A Headphones. I stream music from Tidal.
Will the SONY PHA-3 be enough to pair with the MDR-1A'a and also, will it work with the Chromebook Pixel?

I wrote this post somewhere else but here are some copy pasted bits of it.

While yours isn't a $150 range, its portable aspects make it quite efficent already. 

Obviously parts of it don't apply. But tell me, what are you looking to get out of it?

The unit should work with both you mentioned.
Just a notice, that I personally don't recommend amps to people until they get into the $150+ range of headphones and that are non portable

However a 'good' amp can make it 'better' but the ROI is generally much lower on these. 

To more seasoned users of amps and budget headphones. We use amps/DACs with cheap sub $100 units every now and then because we have a few laying around. And because we are just remotely 'flavoring' the sound a bit. 

It's easy for people more 'into' the hobby to do this and it may provide a bad picture towards new commers to see us using expensive units with $100 headphones.

Anyway, what do you want an amp to do to your experience with the Sony? More bass? Are you looking for more 'quality' or volume (please don't tell me it's volume)..

If you just need a bit more bass, take a look at the E6 (it won't break the bank). If you want a bit more quality, I would say to save up the money, possibly sell or return the DJ100s and get another can. 

It isn't until we get into the $200 range (for newbies) that I recommend newcommerns start getting into DAC/Amps. It's pretty much the path that gives a good ROI for having a can that probably will reciprocate its 'quality' to a nice amp/DAC.

Don't base buying an amp off veterans using them with every device possible.... I probably set a bad example 
blink.gif

Dec 28, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #3 of 6
Im interested in this topic aswell since I am willing to buy the MDR-1A's soon.

So there is no need or improvements that will be made with an amp/dac with these headphones?

Dec 28, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #4 of 6
  Im interested in this topic aswell since I am willing to buy the MDR-1A's soon.

So there is no need or improvements that will be made with an amp/dac with these headphones?

There will always be an improvement......but for newbies in the field. Spending the money on a portable set is fairly high in diminishing returns and how well one can hear it. 

Portables are efficent headphones...because...well, they are portable designed. 

I would say to demo some amps somewhere. Hell, plug it into one of the better class A/V receivers at Best Buy and play music through them. Different amps that no matter high or low in quality are still representations of an external amp.

Do you think the sound is something you can hear differently? If the answer is no....well guess what...that amp/DAC may just not be something you can hear and thus you can be happy you don't have to spend money

Dec 28, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #5 of 6
Oh I see. Well thanks for the honesty. Might save me some money. Or spend it differently.

I didnt see the 1A's as portable, though. Would use it all day on my desktop.  Plugging in-ear klipsch s4's in your ear every day is getting anoying :p

Dec 28, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #6 of 6
  Oh I see. Well thanks for the honesty. Might save me some money. Or spend it differently.

I didnt see the 1A's as portable, though. Would use it all day on my desktop.  Plugging in-ear klipsch s4's in your ear every day is getting anoying :p

Well, test it out with some receivers/ or other amps and units and see if the changes produced there give you a reason to drop $200 or so! 
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back