DAC+AMP for Sennheiser HD700
Jul 12, 2014 at 9:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Aethyrd

New Head-Fier
Greetings.

So, I'm getting a pair of Sennheiser HD700. However I would like some recommendations on a good DAC+AMP to go with these headphones, since I honestly have no clue.

From what I've been looking at online the Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus stuck out as a good DAC to me, what do you think about this choice?

I have a setup with two computers, one being a PC and the other being a Mac Pro. My thinking is to get a DAC with at least two inputs and connecting both computers either via USB and Optical or both via Optical, depending on the DAC. Now, do I need to add a Headphone Amp to that setup, or are there DAC's with included Amps that will do the job?

I was looking in the price range of $500 - $1000, also I'm not looking for a particular sound. I just want a solid setup that compliments the HD700 well.

Help with this would be much appreciated, cheers :)

Jul 12, 2014 at 10:44 PM Post #2 of 6
The Matrix M-Stage will be good with the HD-700's.
And for the DAC, i don't think you need one. Try using the analog signal of the headphone out of your Mac Pro and connect it directly to the back of the M-Stage with a good but cheap 3.5 to RCA cable.

The M-Stage are a good pair for the HD-800's and it's good for the 700's because it's similar.
You don't need any DAC because the built-in of your Mac Pro is sufficient. Don't care about the 24 Bits lie, or any junk some audiophiles say.

Jul 13, 2014 at 12:23 AM Post #3 of 6
Bottlehead Crack, even if you don't want to build it you can find used, assembled ones for a pretty good price, and still have enough for something like a Schiit Bifrost or Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100.

Jul 13, 2014 at 7:40 AM Post #5 of 6
The Matrix M-Stage will be good with the HD-700's.
And for the DAC, i don't think you need one. Try using the analog signal of the headphone out of your Mac Pro and connect it directly to the back of the M-Stage with a good but cheap 3.5 to RCA cable.

The M-Stage are a good pair for the HD-800's and it's good for the 700's because it's similar.
You don't need any DAC because the built-in of your Mac Pro is sufficient. Don't care about the 24 Bits lie, or any junk some audiophiles say.

Thank you, this looks really interesting! I'm definitely going to look closer at this amp.

You say that I don't need a DAC for my Mac Pro, but how about for my PC? I want a similar "audio fidelity" (if that makes sense) from both sources. The PC is using the Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC motherboard.

Bottlehead Crack, even if you don't want to build it you can find used, assembled ones for a pretty good price, and still have enough for something like a Schiit Bifrost or Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100.

I have heard only great things about the Bottlehead Crack, so I'm not arguing against that it would perhaps be a really good fit.

However, the logistics around me buying and owning a Bottlehead product puts me off. I totally lack the equipment and know-how to building one myself, and I don't see myself getting my hands on a used copy. Also since I live in Europe I would have to buy it from overseas with costly shipping, which feels risky and support would be a real hassel if anything was malfunctioning.

Sorry but it just seems too much like a gamble for me.

A new Nuforce uDac2 for $60 bucks and is quite fantastic for the price point.

Really nice price point, however it does not serve my requirements since it needs to support 2 inputs and be able to switch between them.

Jul 13, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #6 of 6
Thank you, this looks really interesting! I'm definitely going to look closer at this amp.

You say that I don't need a DAC for my Mac Pro, but how about for my PC? I want a similar "audio fidelity" (if that makes sense) from both sources. The PC is using the Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC motherboard.

I have heard only great things about the Bottlehead Crack, so I'm not arguing against that it would perhaps be a really good fit.

However, the logistics around me buying and owning a Bottlehead product puts me off. I totally lack the equipment and know-how to building one myself, and I don't see myself getting my hands on a used copy. Also since I live in Europe I would have to buy it from overseas with costly shipping, which feels risky and support would be a real hassel if anything was malfunctioning.

Sorry but it just seems too much like a gamble for me.

Really nice price point, however it does not serve my requirements since it needs to support 2 inputs and be able to switch between them.

The M-Stage supports up to 2 inputs and you can switch them in the front panel. I think it's the best amp for you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back