DAC/Amp for home listening
Jul 7, 2010 at 3:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Thaddy

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm looking to purchase a home setup after giving this hobby a break for quite some time.  I want to purchase a DAC/Amp to be used at home.  Sources will be my computer (USB or optical) and iPod.  I initially started looking at the HeadRoom Desktop Amp/DAC combo since it's the only thing I could remember, but I'm open to suggestions as long as it has digital and analog inputs.  I'm not opposed to buying the amp and DAC as separate units, but I'd highly prefer if it they are in a single case.

If it matters, I'll most likely be using the HD650's with the Cardas cable.  Thanks.

-Thaddy

Jul 7, 2010 at 3:52 PM Post #2 of 7

Quote:
I'm looking to purchase a home setup after giving this hobby a break for quite some time.  I want to purchase a DAC/Amp to be used at home.  Sources will be my computer (USB or optical) and iPod.  I initially started looking at the HeadRoom Desktop Amp/DAC combo since it's the only thing I could remember, but I'm open to suggestions as long as it has digital and analog inputs.  I'm not opposed to buying the amp and DAC as separate units, but I'd highly prefer if it they are in a single case.

If it matters, I'll most likely be using the HD650's with the Cardas cable.  Thanks.

-Thaddy

Hi,

It would help if we new how much you are willing to spend...

Denys

Jul 7, 2010 at 3:59 PM Post #3 of 7
Well, considering the HeadRoom Desktop is $800, let's use that as the ceiling for the DAC and amp.  Again, I don't care if they're separate units or the same but I'd prefer to stick with solid state amps.

Jul 7, 2010 at 7:55 PM Post #4 of 7
The NuForce Icon HDP and Matrix Mini-i both get good reviews around here for all-in-one units.  Both would leave decent room in your budget if you were to decide to only use them as DACs and get a separate amp.

Used you could score a Benchmark DAC1.  I use my HD580/600/650 mutt with one and think it sounds great.

Bill

Jul 7, 2010 at 8:11 PM Post #5 of 7

Quote:
The NuForce Icon HDP and Matrix Mini-i both get good reviews around here for all-in-one units.  Both would leave decent room in your budget if you were to decide to only use them as DACs and get a separate amp.

Used you could score a Benchmark DAC1.  I use my HD580/600/650 mutt with one and think it sounds great.

Bill

This looks excellent!  I'm now thinking of just getting a DAC for the time being until I can decide on what type of amp to get.  Since this has a headphone jack, it should hold me over until I'm ready to get an amp.  I also like how it has balanced outputs :)

AudiophileChina has this for $330 shipped, does anyone have experience ordering from them?

http://www.audiophilechina.com/cp-show.asp?C_id=180&S_id2=37&s_id=90

Jul 7, 2010 at 8:30 PM Post #6 of 7
I got a chance to hear a tadac which is a tube/SS dac/amp it has a tubiness knob which allows you blend the SS sound with the tube, anyways I thought it sounded fantastic much better than some other SS amp/dac combos I heard. They had it hooked up to a usb to spdif converter, The matrix mini-i looks like a good choice for a SS dac/amp combo I've read many decent reviews of it.

Jul 8, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
This looks excellent!  I'm now thinking of just getting a DAC for the time being until I can decide on what type of amp to get.  Since this has a headphone jack, it should hold me over until I'm ready to get an amp.  I also like how it has balanced outputs :)

AudiophileChina has this for $330 shipped, does anyone have experience ordering from them?

http://www.audiophilechina.com/cp-show.asp?C_id=180&S_id2=37&s_id=90

It can be purchased on eBay for about the same price.  I think coolfungadget is the manufacturer but I could be 100% wrong.  It's hard to tell with some of this stuff from China.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back