Dac & Amp for Fostex TH900 Sapphire Blue
Sep 8, 2018 at 10:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

winter_syn

New Head-Fier
I've recently purchased the Fostex TH900 Sapphire Blue headphones and am looking to get a dac and amp or dac/amp to compliment them.

I've used the TH900's on my K5 dock with a Fiio X5iii in it and they sound fantastic, and they sound great through my Fiio E18 as well.

I don't seem to notice any recessed mids or any issues with the treble as I seem hear reported about them. This could be down to my ignorance, but I still like what I'm hearing.

I was looking at the Schiit Jotunheim with the multibit dac, anyone tried this combo, or can suggest another?

In case it matters, I have a very eclectic taste in music, I'll listen to pretty much anything apart from most rap. Still I mainly listen to rock.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2018 at 1:06 PM Post #3 of 6
I can go up to about £1000 ($1300) if I have to.

Sep 8, 2018 at 1:38 PM Post #4 of 6
Nice, considering that then I'd go for a Mjolnir Audio Dynalo (super transparent and linear, gonna make the TH900 kick even harder and again just sound more transparent and natural). This should leave enough room for a Chord Mojo DAC (especially if you consider used), which I really like and I think would pair well with the TH900.

Sep 9, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #5 of 6
Thanks, I'll have a look at the Dynalo.

As it happens, I recently bought a Mojo as a replacement for my E18, it can do double-duty for my desktop setup in the short term.

Sep 9, 2018 at 6:23 PM Post #6 of 6
I've recently purchased the Fostex TH900 Sapphire Blue headphones and am looking to get a dac and amp or dac/amp to compliment them.
I've used the TH900's on my K5 dock with a Fiio X5iii in it and they sound fantastic, and they sound great through my Fiio E18 as well.
I don't seem to notice any recessed mids or any issues with the treble as I seem hear reported about them. This could be down to my ignorance, but I still like what I'm hearing.
I was looking at the Schiit Jotunheim with the multibit dac, anyone tried this combo, or can suggest another?
In case it matters, I have a very eclectic taste in music, I'll listen to pretty much anything apart from most rap. Still I mainly listen to rock.

I think with the FiiO X5 Gen 3, you already have a nice DAC function, maybe just get a Schiit Asgard 2 solid state headphone amplifer and connect it to the line-output jack on the X5.
http://www.schiit.com/products/asgard-2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back