DAC+Amp Combo Units?
Mar 13, 2007 at 8:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

crazyface

100+ Head-Fier
Hi. Are there are any quality combo units in the $200-$300 range, that offer quality upsampling? Or would I be better off just getting two seperate pieces?

I'm just after a stopgap solution until I'm out of college and can afford something really good (like the Raptor). So a combo unit would probably be the most economical choice for me I think, and easiest to deal with. I just want something that's going to be "definitely good-enough" - it doesn't have to be amazing, I wouldn't expect that in this price range, but I just want something that's not going to muck up my music -- that'll give me the basic goods.

Presently I have neither an amp nor a DAC and am running my SR225's straight out of my computer. yeah i know
frown.gif
anyway, along with the amp/dac, I plan to get a pair of ER4's, since I also need a pair of closed phones for isolation. so whatever amp/dac i get would need to work well with both, ideally.

Thanks.

Mar 13, 2007 at 8:51 PM Post #2 of 21
Oh, and quality is more important than portability, in my case, but I guess in this price range most of what I'd be dealing with would be the portable stuff. Just saying, though.

Mar 13, 2007 at 9:12 PM Post #4 of 21
There's also the Core Sound HeadLine. I heard one at the NYC Meet a little over a week ago. It was OK. I prefer the sound from my Tomahawk, personally. The HeadLine is built like a *****ing brick, though. SOLID.

It also depends on what kind of DAC input you're looking for. If it's just USB, then you might be better off with MaloS's suggestions. I think I've read some nice things about the Headphonia...

-Packgrog

Mar 13, 2007 at 9:39 PM Post #6 of 21
Don't forget the Zhaolu.

Mar 15, 2007 at 6:43 AM Post #8 of 21
If you can stretch your budget to around $400, you can pick up a PreSonus Central Station. It has an excellent solid state headphone amp, and the DAC upsamples to 192kHz. It's an excellent unit; take a look at Ferbose's in-depth review as well as Music Man's posts about switching over to them for studio work. I've had mine for over a year now and cannot be happier with it.

Mar 15, 2007 at 6:57 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyface /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi. Are there are any quality combo units in the $200-$300 range, that offer quality upsampling? Or would I be better off just getting two seperate pieces?

I'm just after a stopgap solution until I'm out of college and can afford something really good (like the Raptor). So a combo unit would probably be the most economical choice for me I think, and easiest to deal with. I just want something that's going to be "definitely good-enough" - it doesn't have to be amazing, I wouldn't expect that in this price range, but I just want something that's not going to muck up my music -- that'll give me the basic goods.

Presently I have neither an amp nor a DAC and am running my SR225's straight out of my computer. yeah i know
frown.gif
anyway, along with the amp/dac, I plan to get a pair of ER4's, since I also need a pair of closed phones for isolation. so whatever amp/dac i get would need to work well with both, ideally.

Thanks.

Don't worry.. We all start somewhere.. Personally I would suggest a used Cordia Aria.. They retail for 450.00..But some can be had for 350 or so used..IMO that would be your best option..& I'd save up for it..

Mar 15, 2007 at 6:59 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you can stretch your budget to around $400, you can pick up a PreSonus Central Station. It has an excellent solid state headphone amp, and the DAC upsamples to 192kHz. It's an excellent unit; take a look at Ferbose's in-depth review as well as Music Man's posts about switching over to them for studio work. I've had mine for over a year now and cannot be happier with it.

X2.. More versatile then the Cordia Aria.. & from what I read, sounds like it has a better DAC too..

Mar 15, 2007 at 7:02 AM Post #11 of 21
Okay! I have been recommended the Aria by others - but the Presonus sounds interesting to me too!
Now I must decide between them...but both I must buy used to fit my budget! Sadly I must wait another month to post in the WTB section of this forum...and make tons more posts.
frown.gif
So I will have to wait.

Mar 15, 2007 at 7:06 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Okay! I have been recommended the Aria by others - but the Presonus sounds interesting to me too!
Now I must decide between them...but both I must buy used to fit my budget! Sadly I must wait another month to post in the WTB section of this forum...and make tons more posts.
frown.gif
So I will have to wait.

I'd go with the Presonus.. It's dac portion has been compared favorablly to the DAC1..a 1,000 DAC.. & the Presonus headphone amp is probally better then the DAC1's amp.. Also the Presonus is VERY versatile..It Will give you yrs of pleasure IMO..Great Bang for the Buck.. Buying used is fine..I bought two of my DACS used.. Saved over 500.00 combined..

Mar 15, 2007 at 9:11 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Oh, but I must ask -
It is 24/192 COMPATIBLE, or it does actually upsample on its own, no software necessary?

It does not really matter, up-sampling does not change sound quality >.< (tested, nothing I could pick-up)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back