DAC/Amp combo for AKG K712?
Feb 24, 2019 at 9:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

BifePlays

New Head-Fier
Hello my good fellas at Head-fi!
(I've tried to post this in the Amp dedicaded forums, but unfortunately no luck there)

I have myself a AKG K712, and I absolutely love it! I've been using my Schiit Magni 2 + Sound Blaster Z as my audio rig, since I was extremely attracted by all the game-ish and surround features from the Creative sound board, but it turned out more to be something that gave me difficulties more than helped me. I still have my Magni 2, but I am looking for a new DAC.

I am going to USA on July, so my budget is kind of tight, I already calculated how much I can spend (also, thats why tube amps aren't the best idea). I have around 200 USD to spend, but I can still sell the Magni 2 for some extra money, totalizing 300 USD for a DAC/Amp.

As for "specs",I am looking for
  • A nice big soundstage
  • Good positional audio, as I play a lot of competitive games
  • I like a more non-bassy heavy signature, with emphasis on mids and highs to bring out details like footsteps.
With that in mind, which DAC you guys that can pair well with my Magni, or if needed, which new DAC/Amp Combo you guys recommend?
Thanks in advance!

Edit:
I did some research, and the following options interest me:
  • AudioEngine D1 (170 USD): Is told to have a good soundstage, but is a DAC/Amp combo, so most likely will bypass my Magni 2
  • Cambridge Audio DACMagic 100 (200 USD): Also told to have a good soundstage, but told to have a lower audio bitrate
  • Topping DX3 (220 USD): Another option that most likely will bypass my Magni 2, not sure about its audio signature

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2019 at 7:43 AM Post #2 of 5
> I have around 200 USD to spend

I would say, the sound blaster G6 is your best bet for video games, it has crystal clear audio and some game features like scout mode. Uses very good Cirrus Logic DAC chips. Has a lot of gain and should be sufficient power-wise.

Alternatively Topping DX3 is right in your budget. A recent release with recent akm 4493 dac chips. The DX3 has a high gain mode which will work perfectly with your K712Pro. Many great reviews and although it had some "child diseases" the newly produced ones are tested before shipment and should have bugs sorted out.

The DX3 will be the more expensive choice, either would be great for your usage.

Feb 25, 2019 at 8:11 AM Post #3 of 5
> I have around 200 USD to spend

I would say, the sound blaster G6 is your best bet for video games, it has crystal clear audio and some game features like scout mode. Uses very good Cirrus Logic DAC chips. Has a lot of gain and should be sufficient power-wise.

Alternatively Topping DX3 is right in your budget. A recent release with recent akm 4493 dac chips. The DX3 has a high gain mode which will work perfectly with your K712Pro. Many great reviews and although it had some "child diseases" the newly produced ones are tested before shipment and should have bugs sorted out.

The DX3 will be the more expensive choice, either would be great for your usage.

So, I've been avoiding the Sound Blaster gaming series because all their gaming features create more of a abstract sound and won't help at all during gameplay.
The DX3 sounds like a good idea, tho. But apparently I can't seem to find where to buy it (only at Aliexpress, but I don't usually buy stuff from there), and it's Amp will most likely be bypassed or will bypass my Magni 2.
Also, I actually have a 200 USD budget for the DAC itself (as I already have myself a Magni 2), or a 300 USD budget for both DAC/Amp combo, because I can sell my Magni 2 and get my money back.

Feb 25, 2019 at 8:49 AM Post #4 of 5
The DX3 sounds like a good idea, tho. But apparently I can't seem to find where to buy it (only at Aliexpress, but I don't usually buy stuff from there), and it's Amp will most likely be bypassed or will bypass my Magni 2.

The DX3 amp is very clean though, only bested by my THX AAA (which has 1200 requests and still no new drop on massdrop so rather hard to get).
And I can understand avoiding Sound Blaster if it's not your thing. I never owned one myself, just made sense to mention it in this context :)

I personally gamed over a year with a simple SMSL iDea DAC and I recommend Sabre for gaming. very detailed. The Aune X1S anniversary comes to mind, very good desktop DAC with so-so amp inside, if you use it as a dac only with external amp I think it would be very good for gaming indeed.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2019 at 7:04 PM Post #5 of 5
The DX3 amp is very clean though, only bested by my THX AAA (which has 1200 requests and still no new drop on massdrop so rather hard to get).
And I can understand avoiding Sound Blaster if it's not your thing. I never owned one myself, just made sense to mention it in this context :)

I personally gamed over a year with a simple SMSL iDea DAC and I recommend Sabre for gaming. very detailed. The Aune X1S anniversary comes to mind, very good desktop DAC with so-so amp inside, if you use it as a dac only with external amp I think it would be very good for gaming indeed.
Well, thats certainly the DX3 sounds like a great idea, I will get more info about it's sound signature to make sure if it is the ideal choice. Thanks for the help <3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back