DAC Amp and Portability
Feb 20, 2008 at 7:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

JimSmiley

100+ Head-Fier
If you were buying an amp as part of a portable rig, you would only get the DAC/Amp combo if you have a digital out. right?

Feb 20, 2008 at 7:08 PM Post #2 of 9
Well, most (not all) portable amps with DACs only accept digital signals via USB, so this doesn't do much good in portable setups.

Feb 20, 2008 at 7:11 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by JimSmiley /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you were buying an amp as part of a portable rig, you would only get the DAC/Amp combo if you have a digital out. right?

If this were to be the only way you would use the amp/dac then I wouldn't personally invest in one with a dac as it would never get used. However, if there was ever to be a time when using the unit with a computer or a future DAP with a digital output to the dac would be possible, then it might be worth it to get the DAC.

Personally, I'm picking up a Pico in the near future which I will use mainly at school with my laptop but would love to use it on the go with my iPod. Until the iPod get a digital output without a convoluted docking station like that of Wadia (which I lust after) then on the go, it will be amp only, no nice dac to use.

Feb 20, 2008 at 7:12 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, most (not all) portable amps with DACs only accept digital signals via USB, so this doesn't do much good in portable setups.

Most DAP's output via usb so it works just fine.

Feb 20, 2008 at 7:29 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaska /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I see. I've got an older Archos FM Recorder that has digital out via a mini-plug. Do you know of any DAC/Amps that are portable and accept the digital output to a mini?

Feb 20, 2008 at 7:40 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by JimSmiley /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see. I've got an older Archos FM Recorder that has digital out via a mini-plug. Do you know of any DAC/Amps that are portable and accept the digital output to a mini?

HeadRoom offer at least one such product.

Feb 20, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #7 of 9
iBasso D1 amp/dac

Feb 21, 2008 at 12:59 AM Post #8 of 9
I have an iBasso D1, and it has been great the whole way. I needed something portable, but it also had to serve as an entry-level desktop amp. The D1 is perfect, as it can take USB, TOSLINK (optical), digital coaxial, and analog miniplug. The analog in jack has the best single feature I've found on any of these jack-of-all-trades portables: when using the analog-in jack as an input (i.e. bypassing the DAC), it functions just as you'd expect. When you are using one of the digital inputs on the back of the D1, the analog-in jack becomes a line-out jack. So when you're using a digital source, you have both a headphone jack and a line-out jack on the front. Very useful, very slick engineering.

Feb 21, 2008 at 3:14 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by InertKinesis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have an iBasso D1, and it has been great the whole way. I needed something portable, but it also had to serve as an entry-level desktop amp. The D1 is perfect, as it can take USB, TOSLINK (optical), digital coaxial, and analog miniplug. The analog in jack has the best single feature I've found on any of these jack-of-all-trades portables: when using the analog-in jack as an input (i.e. bypassing the DAC), it functions just as you'd expect. When you are using one of the digital inputs on the back of the D1, the analog-in jack becomes a line-out jack. So when you're using a digital source, you have both a headphone jack and a line-out jack on the front. Very useful, very slick engineering.

X2!! My D1 arrived this morning and I have been having a blast with it. I used all the inputs today: DAC via USB from my laptop, and used TOSLINK and digital coax from my Squeezebox. Sound is wonderful; no noticeable noise. I am using Sennehiser HD595s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back