DAC-AH M1 with OPPO DV-970HD
May 31, 2007 at 11:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Kolyan2k

New Head-Fier
currently have just the Oppo. i listen to Jolida JD100 and didn't really enjoy it. I now ordered DAC-AH M1. However, a guy in another forum said that it will not work with Oppo CDP. can anyone comment ?

I would also appreciate if somebody could comment on DAC-AH M1 vs DAC-AM....

Thanks.

Jun 1, 2007 at 5:54 PM Post #5 of 14
yep, the redbook 44 CD coax out will send a digital signal to the DAC-ah just fine. actually, just fine with 48 DVD too of course. but the DAC-ah doesn't do sampling high enough for DVD-A, and SACD doesn't go out to anything short of a dedicated SACD DAC (pricey).

no worries tho, it won't be a waste of cash. imho the oppo as transport for the DAC-ah sounds better for redbook than the redbook straight out of the oppo's analog outs. but yes, the SACD analog out of the Oppo sounds better imho.

Jun 1, 2007 at 9:34 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yep, the redbook 44 CD coax out will send a digital signal to the DAC-ah just fine. actually, just fine with 48 DVD too of course. but the DAC-ah doesn't do sampling high enough for DVD-A, and SACD doesn't go out to anything short of a dedicated SACD DAC (pricey).

no worries tho, it won't be a waste of cash. imho the oppo as transport for the DAC-ah sounds better for redbook than the redbook straight out of the oppo's analog outs. but yes, the SACD analog out of the Oppo sounds better imho.

thanks alot.

Jun 1, 2007 at 10:08 PM Post #7 of 14
How could you not like the Jolia JD100. It is one of the most.... oh well, I guess it's preference.

I've thought of getting rid of all of my sources (except for vinyl of course) and downgrading to it again. Just the most addicting musical players....

Jun 1, 2007 at 10:27 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How could you not like the Jolia JD100. It is one of the most.... oh well, I guess it's preference.

I've thought of getting rid of all of my sources (except for vinyl of course) and downgrading to it again. Just the most addicting musical players....

i just couldn't really tell the difference between Oppo and Jolida. with my buddy we a/b compared two and out of 6 tries he got 3 wrong. i just don't think that kind of difference should cost $950 (local dealer). although, i am sure Jolida is better.

this is why i got DAC-AH M1 for $225 and hopefully it will be the same or better then Jolida.

Jun 2, 2007 at 12:48 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can't tell a difference between the Jolida and the Oppo? Hmm. Why do you expect the DAC-AH to outperform the Jolida (which is in turn no better than the Oppo)?

i am saying that the difference is minimal. you can't tell the difference unless you really listen to both at the same time. and like i said in my a/b comparison, 3 out of 6 answers were wrong.

the main key here might be the fact that i am NOT an audiophile. and i am NOT saying that Jolida is bad, it's just that i don't want to pay $950 for such a small difference. and this is why i got DAC-AH, which is only $225.

now.....Why are YOU saying that Oppo with DAC-AH is no better then Oppo by itself ? I bought this dac because of so many positive reviews here.

Jun 2, 2007 at 1:11 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kolyan2k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i am saying that the difference is minimal. you can't tell the difference unless you really listen to both at the same time. and like i said in my a/b comparison, 3 out of 6 answers were wrong.

the main key here might be the fact that i am NOT an audiophile. and i am NOT saying that Jolida is bad, it's just that i don't want to pay $950 for such a small difference. and this is why i got DAC-AH, which is only $225.

now.....Why are YOU saying that Oppo with DAC-AH is no better then Oppo by itself ? I bought this dac because of so many positive reviews here.

If you cannot distinguish (3/6 is 50% = chance) between a $150 DVD player and a $950 CD player you may not be able to detect the difference when an external DAC is added into the mix. FWIW I cant tell the difference in adding my external DAC to my CD or DVD players, except that it is louder
biggrin.gif

Personally I would use the $225 to buy CDs.

Jun 2, 2007 at 1:42 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you cannot distinguish (3/6 is 50% = chance) between a $150 DVD player and a $950 CD player you may not be able to detect the difference when an external DAC is added into the mix. FWIW I cant tell the difference in adding my external DAC to my CD or DVD players, except that it is louder
biggrin.gif

Maybe, but its only $225 vs $950 for Jolida. i can take $225 loss.

Jun 3, 2007 at 2:40 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kolyan2k /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Depends on the internal DAC of the OPPO. If it's better then the external DAC it could down grade the music a bit..Of course the DAC is just one part of the equation.. I notice my DAC1 scales better with higher end CDP, which I didn't expect, & was a bit taken back by it.. I also read where the DAC1 was favorable to Arcam33 (think thats the model number??) 2,000 CDP..When it was used in place of the Arcams internal DAC.. The reviewer just pointed out the Arcams internal DAC had a bit more tonal balance to music but could live with either..

Jun 3, 2007 at 2:43 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

I stopped buying CDs.. I just buy single mp3's & convert them to a wav.. I'm tired of buying a CD for only 1-2 songs.. Those were days before buying single songs online became a viable option.. Or when you could by single 45's for Vinyl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back