DAC 707 Mods
Jun 29, 2009 at 6:59 AM Post #46 of 52
No shots because no camera, sorry.

Anyway there are some significant changes over the old one shown in this thread: now USB goes to the DAC via I2S; now all SMD parts are on the upper side of the pcb
smily_headphones1.gif
; now there are two LM317 regulators instead of one; now the main power cap is a 220uF 35V Rubycon YXG (though I changed it anyway) ; and now there seem to be some minor changes to the analog stage.
cool.gif

Plus now the PCB is green
biggrin.gif

Regarding the opamps, try the OPA2211 or two (SMD) OPA827 if you like great detail,
smily_headphones1.gif
or the TLE2142.

Jun 29, 2009 at 7:44 AM Post #47 of 52
I got the m-audio transit on order and while i considered it as a way to get 24/96 optical to a dac, i will have to try it's line out into my amp first.
If it's lacking, i will come back to this little gem, thanks for all the info, i had looked at it months ago, but the easy "socketability" is going to make this one a winner for me
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 28, 2009 at 4:37 PM Post #51 of 52
I got one of the newer versions of the DAC and fried something within 24 hrs. I noticed that this one was different from the earlier models mentioned here so I started probing around with a multimeter. Then I saw a small wisp of smoke. Now the chips get pretty toasty and I only get static from the output.

Ugh. Any suggestions for repair? My plan was to do a thorough mod, but now it looks like I'll be doing some SMT work too. I would assume that if the DAC chip were dead I wouldn't get any sound at all. I've got parts to replace just about anything, but geeez, what a bummer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back