d880 or dt990
Mar 7, 2007 at 3:38 AM Post #17 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So how do they compare to the AT cans? I ask because descriptions are generally useless without point of references
wink.gif

x2

Mar 7, 2007 at 3:54 AM Post #18 of 44
Quote:

So how do they compare to the AT cans? I ask because descriptions are generally useless without point of references
wink.gif

Depends on what AT phones you have in mind.
More detailed, airy, and resolving than A900, bass is not that thumpy, more picky to the source and need gobs of current to sing.
Transparently neutral and don't have that groovy A900 coloration.

Mar 7, 2007 at 4:08 AM Post #19 of 44
Quote:

wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by denl82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2

Make this a x3
I've the AT A900 for a few days now. For the first couple of days I didn't like how its bass sounds as it just lacks that kind of impact and entension I need. By now I think I'm starting to get used to its "subtle" bass signature. I don't know if its dynamic driver has loosen up a bit over the burning period with most music play through and some pink noise or it may be my brain is trying hard to adjust to the shy bass that it's given out...
plainface.gif

Now after a few rants here and there I got some voices about DT770 produce excellent bass response and it should satisfy most bassheads and even some find its bass a bit overwhelming. Now it seems that Beyer is making the DT990 as the flagship of their line up and I suppose the DT990 should have a very similar sound signature like the DT770 in regards to bass signature (pls correct me if I'm wrong on this)

I'd definely aim that DT990 would be my next upgrade after I made a wrong impulse purchase for the A900. The A900 does a great job in other areas except bass, at least for me. And I suppose again that DT990 should have all the good qualities that A900 have and maybe even excel some of them in some areas.
basshead.gif

Mar 7, 2007 at 4:16 AM Post #20 of 44
If you are a "rock" fan there is nothing that rocks any harder than the dt990's. The 990's are as close as a headphone will get you to the sensation of being in the proximity of a Marshall Stack.

Just realize to get the most from you Beyer headphones, amp them up & they will return the favor.

- augustwest

Mar 7, 2007 at 4:22 AM Post #21 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Depends on what AT phones you have in mind.
More detailed, airy, and resolving than A900, bass is not that thumpy, more picky to the source and need gobs of current to sing.
Transparently neutral and don't have that groovy A900 coloration.

Thinking of both the closed and open 'home' ATs, excluding the woodies. , A700/900, AD700/900/1000. From the descriptions I've read, the AD700/900 are quite similar to the A700/900 except the bass quantity is slightly lower, and of course there's that more airy sound, am I right?

Resolving? Someone should sticky that thread explaining descriptive words. For the life of me I can't think up of keywords to use so I can search and pull up that thread
tongue.gif

Mar 7, 2007 at 4:32 AM Post #22 of 44
Quote:

Resolving? Someone should sticky that thread explaining descriptive words. For the life of me I can't think up of keywords to use so I can search and pull up that thread
tongue.gif

Hey, this might help: link

I looked up resolving(resolution), and it says,"resolution See 'definition'." So I looked up definition, and that says,"That quality of sound reproduction which enables the listener to distinguish between, and follow the melodic lines of, the individual voices or instruments comprising a large performing group."

Hope that helps=]

Mar 7, 2007 at 4:49 AM Post #23 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by denl82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, this might help: link

I looked up resolving(resolution), and it says,"resolution See 'definition'." So I looked up definition, and that says,"That quality of sound reproduction which enables the listener to distinguish between, and follow the melodic lines of, the individual voices or instruments comprising a large performing group."

Hope that helps=]

Ah I understand. I describe that characteristic as clarity/instrumental separation myself
tongue.gif
If the Beyers offer more of this compared to the AT AD series, I'm definitely getting the DT880/990 for my next pair of open cans
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 7, 2007 at 11:30 AM Post #24 of 44
The DT990 is actually cheaper than the DT880 at Amazon.com.

Mar 7, 2007 at 3:20 PM Post #25 of 44
I own both, and I enjoy both greatly. But I prefer the DT990's, since I willingly accept the DT990's higher level of bass in exchange for slightly recessed mids.

Mar 7, 2007 at 3:54 PM Post #26 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Namrac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DT990 is actually cheaper than the DT880 at Amazon.com.

Just checked Amazon - I think the 990's are the pre-2005 (old) model, while the 880's are the newer model, which explains the price difference.

John F

Mar 7, 2007 at 4:19 PM Post #28 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are a "rock" fan there is nothing that rocks any harder than the dt990's. The 990's are as close as a headphone will get you to the sensation of being in the proximity of a Marshall Stack.

Just realize to get the most from you Beyer headphones, amp them up & they will return the favor.

- augustwest

i agree that they're amazing rock phones, that's the one genre i have most fun listening to on the beyers, they just excell. i haven't tried out the grados so i can't compare the dt990s to them but it can't get much better than this.

Mar 8, 2007 at 12:28 AM Post #29 of 44
Thanks to everyone here who provided enough conflicting info to make my order the DT-990's (2005 edition) to try alongside my 2-weekl old 880's. Now, I really want to test these side-by-side for myself. Within 2 weeks, someone here will get a really great deal on either a set of nearly new 880's or 990's, depending on what my ears feel like. Try not to cost me too much more money, eh?

John F

Mar 10, 2007 at 4:01 PM Post #30 of 44
I received the brand new 2005 DT-990's, so I'm now A-B'ing with my 'almost' brand new DT-880's. 880's have approx 180 hours burn-in, 990's only 20 or so now.

JensL was so 'right-on' with his review of the 880 vs. 990 recently that there is no point in me even saying anything additional about their differences and similarities.

I only plan on keeping one, so over the next few weeks I'll have to decide if I want the perfect detail, tightness, flat response and air of the 880's, or the enhanced bass at the cost of some detail (bass and lower mids) of the 990's.

They are both terrific cans, but sufficiently different to warrant a good long listen with all my types of music before making a decision. Guess I'll start with about a 180 hr. burn-in of the 990's to get them on equal footing with the 880's, then seriously listen. I already know that their will not be a 'loser' in this, but rather one that I prefer a bit more as an 'all-rounder', and it won't be an easy decision. Wish me luck...

John F

Users who are viewing this thread

Back