D7000 instead of D5000 - Worth the cost?
Jan 2, 2010 at 5:09 PM Post #16 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have owned two Denons modded by Mark, the D2000 and the D5000. Plus I was loaned a pair of modded and re-cabled D5000 as part of Mark's loaner program back in 2008. The mods do no change the can as you state in your first paragraph above, at least that has been my experience and that of the individuals who have listened to my modded Denons in various meets.

The mids are NOT changed as per your "cupped hands" description, perhaps you should listen to a pair before you go making this kind of comments. I have not seen the so called many negative comments, on the contrary I have read of a lot of positive comments on the mods.

You do not have to drop $150, instead you could buy the parts for about $20 and perform the mods yourself. BTW, if you are very careful they are reversible.

The cupped hands comment was not mine but that of two highly respected members here, HeadphoneAddict and Skylabs.

Jan 2, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #17 of 46
Just try to find a used pair. Less cost. Denon AH-D7000, my favorite headphones on planet earth.

Jan 2, 2010 at 6:21 PM Post #18 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The cupped hands comment was not mine but that of two highly respected members here, HeadphoneAddict and Skylabs.

If everyone hears differently - a precondition that is rarely debated, here - how can you take others' comments (regardless their post-count and stature) about how something sounds to them at face value and, what's more, adopt them as your own? Unless you've actually heard the specific modded cans in question, you should keep your own assertions on a tighter leash. Just a general comment for all y'all...
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 2, 2010 at 6:49 PM Post #19 of 46
I'm another graduate of the markl mod and it's a fantasticallly rewarding mod and a defenite upgrade to the stock, The MD-5000 are trully all-in-one package phones and i too agree with the "closest headphone to spkears i've heared" commnet.

Jan 2, 2010 at 7:36 PM Post #20 of 46
Hi guys,
I think it's fair to say a lot of us, as one of our shopping techniques, do at some point in our information gathering, search for negative reactions in order to find out what the "dirt" is on any particular potential major purchase. What are its faults and is that something I could live with? I know I'm definitely guilty of doing that, the negative things tend to stick out in your mind, and have more power than dozen positives. The psychology vs. reality of it, can make it a hazardous way to shop though.

Now I get to see things from the other side of the table as a vendor who takes pride in his service and his happy customers.
wink.gif

With something subjective like the sound of our kinds of toys, these individual appraisals/critiques are the comments that tend to get snipped out and repeated. Sooner or later the one assertion about this or that product can become repeated often enough to become the prevailing viewpoint/rap/shorthand on a particular product, especially on something very specialized that not many people have easy access to.

20 other people do not comment on or appear not to notice Negative Subjective Trait A about Product X, but one person says they do experience this bad Trait A. No one else is actively going around asserting Product X has no Trait A, so the only information available on this topic of Trait A is this one comment from one pair of ears that heard it. In lieu of any other info on the subject, that one observation becomes common wisdom on subject of Trait A and Product X, whether a majority of people hear it or not. It's the bad stuff that tends to bubble to the surface more frequently than warranted, taking on more significance than it deserves in proportion to its actual observance in the field.

I would never argue that any headphone, ours or any other, is "perfect". I do not reject all criticism of our headphones, or deny the vaildity of any one opinion of anyone who has tried the mods or our products. People hear what they hear on their systems, and it's impossible to please everyone. Also, I have nothing against Necrolic whatsoever, though I would be happier if the opinions he keeps referring to were his own based on listening. Or, at least temper the comments by saying "some people might experience X&Y, it has been infrequently reported" (something to that effect), rather than presenting it like it's an established fact.

That's all.

Peace!
beerchug.gif

Jan 3, 2010 at 3:27 AM Post #21 of 46
Yeah I apologize for that Mark, I should have phrased it better. It was in fact only a few comments I just phrased it poorly.

Again I have nothing against you, or your mods, and I am still considering them for my own cans.

Jan 3, 2010 at 5:03 AM Post #22 of 46
I'd just like to add I purchased a pair of MD7000s from Lawton Audio about six weeks ago and I find the modded phones stunning. I can't compare them to an un-modded pair, but I know I hear wonderful things through them. They bring fun back into the music in ways I'd missed with other phones, and I won't trade them for anything else.

Thanks, Mark, for all your hard work. I continue to recommend your services to all who'll hear me. And this is an unsolicited, though albeit enthusiastic, endorsement.

Happy new year to all Head-Fi-natics, whatever your ears may tell you, and wherever your cans may take you.

Jan 3, 2010 at 5:12 AM Post #23 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If everyone hears differently - a precondition that is rarely debated, here - how can you take others' comments (regardless their post-count and stature) about how something sounds to them at face value and, what's more, adopt them as your own? Unless you've actually heard the specific modded cans in question, you should keep your own assertions on a tighter leash. Just a general comment for all y'all...
smily_headphones1.gif

Not trying to derail this thread or start a flame war or anything but I cannot agree more w/ the statements. B/c some people who are known better than others said something doesn't imply I can absorb it for granted w/o questions let alone express, use it as if it was my own experience. I do see people making comments (not necessarily confined to head-fi but other forums I go to as well) w/o having owned/tried them themselves and I go, "How can he/she say that?" A good reminder to duly take note of if you ask me.
o2smile.gif

Mar 16, 2010 at 7:05 PM Post #25 of 46
I might start my own thread... but why do people say the D7000 is better than the D5000? I just looked ALL of headrooms graphs, and the D5000 spanks it...

The 500hz square is amazing on the D5000, and looks really ****ty TBH on the D7000... Even when you compare a balanced D5000 vs. balanced D7000 the D5000 wins but not by the mile it does single ended...
The 50hz one is much less dramatic, but still very much in favor of the D5000.

Whats up with this?

What would my young ears appreciate more? A can that can handle phase and bass properly, or a headphone that smudges everything to make it sound nice?

Mar 16, 2010 at 7:31 PM Post #26 of 46
You will get D5000, you will love it to death, you will sell D5000, you will buy D7000 :p

Mar 16, 2010 at 7:43 PM Post #27 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nachkebia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You will get D5000, you will love it to death, you will sell D5000, you will buy D7000 :p

I wouldn't mind that.. if I loved them to death until the D7000 was under 600 again :p. Seriously though, I spent like 20 mins comparing all the graphs, and from what I have read on headroom though there is absolutely nothing to warrant people thinking the D7000 sound better... other than aging hearing :p

Mar 16, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #29 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by sokolov91 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I might start my own thread... but why do people say the D7000 is better than the D5000? I just looked ALL of headrooms graphs, and the D5000 spanks it...

The 500hz square is amazing on the D5000, and looks really ****ty TBH on the D7000... Even when you compare a balanced D5000 vs. balanced D7000 the D5000 wins but not by the mile it does single ended...
The 50hz one is much less dramatic, but still very much in favor of the D5000.

Whats up with this?

What would my young ears appreciate more? A can that can handle phase and bass properly, or a headphone that smudges everything to make it sound nice?

I think you're reading too much into graphs. Look at $50 studio monitors, they have dead neutral graphs, yet they sound like complete ass. Graphs mean VERY little in how a headphone sounds in the long run. The D7000s are a much more detailed, balanced and all around much better headphone than the D5000s, no matter what the graphs say (and yes I've heard both, and I'm selling my D5000s to finance a new purchase which may possibly be modded D7000s).

EDIT: Almost forgot to mention I'm 17 and can hear up to 20KHz.

Mar 16, 2010 at 8:21 PM Post #30 of 46
I have the 7000's and they were very, very popular at the meet I went to on Sunday. A pair of 5000's were also there but, unfortunately, they were gone by the time I heard of them so I didn't get to try them.

I have nothing really to add to the 5000 vs 7000 vs Markl mod just want to heartily endorse the comment of cswann1:
Quote:

If you're spending several hundred on a pair of cans, get what you want because if you like them as much as I like my D7000's you're done spending money for a long time.

If you're going to be enjoying these for the next few years a couple of hundred dollars more (or less) really doesn't amount to much. Try not to depend on the opinions of others, find exactly what you want and get it.

As far as where to get them, I'll again recommend to get them used right here. That's how I got mine and paid $600 for them (thanks again CherryBomb!). Right now I believe there's a set of 7000's going for $620 or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back