D66 Eggos
Aug 27, 2006 at 2:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Filburt

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been reading through threads and I'm having trouble getting a clear idea of what these sound like. My headphones I use normally are K701s, but I also have a pair of Koss A/250s as well and have also been listening to a pair of K240s. I'm just thinking about D66s for portable use, or maybe K81DJ, and am having trouble making a decision on this.

Aug 27, 2006 at 3:03 AM Post #3 of 18
The mdr-d66sl are pretty balanced sounding for a portable phone and might not have enough oomph in the lower end for portable enjoyment because the isolation from outside noise is only decent.

Aug 27, 2006 at 5:27 AM Post #4 of 18
i can't vouch for the K81s but i would recommend the D66s as a portable can. aside from the low bass response, the sound overall is very balanced. probably my fav can in my arsenal right now. such a great portable circum-aural phone. and yes as flamerz mentioned they are very comfortable. you can easily wear em for hours on end.
eggosmile.gif

Aug 27, 2006 at 6:18 AM Post #5 of 18
I had this same dilemma, and went with the K81DJ. cheaper, VERY VERY durable, and fantastic sounding. Amazing soundstage for supraaural, particularly closed, great FR, a little bass heavy, but I honestly prefer that in a good portable, since I'm moving while wearing them, and it's groovy. The MDR-D66SL certainly LOOKS cooler, but in person, the K81DJs actually do look good, IMO.

Aug 27, 2006 at 6:22 AM Post #6 of 18
Aww, I used to have D66's Adam, you could've just walked over to check em out... not anymore of course
tongue.gif

I didn't really like them. It looks really cool holding it in your hand, but looks dumb on the head (IMO). Comfort is excellent, but I thought it sounded fairly low-fi.

Aug 27, 2006 at 8:47 AM Post #7 of 18
I used to have em too. Pretty much what's already been said about em. They're pretty bass shy, but there's a mod that consists of making a small hole to make them semi-open that adds some more kick to the bass. Try doing a search for "eggo mod." I loved em while I had em in terms of comfort and style, but they had to go to help fund my HF-1s.

Aug 27, 2006 at 7:25 PM Post #8 of 18
Thanks for the comments, guys! I'm not super worried about bass response since I'm apparently not a basshead. However, the 81DJs are quite tempting. I actually like how they look ^_^

Aug 27, 2006 at 7:41 PM Post #9 of 18
I have the Eggos and have heard the 81s. It's all about your desired sound signature.

Eggos
Like everyone has said the Eggos are relatively fast, balanced, very detailed, let sound in though (I recall the 81s being truly closed) and are lean... even the bass mod (assuming I did it correctly).

AKG 81s
The 81s were muddy to me - kind of like the AKG 26Ps I had. But not as muddy. Certainly have cool factor. But if your music is R&B or hip-hop I would assume these are some of the most fun portable headphones out there.

Also IMO the Eggos have the Sony house sound if that helps.

I'd imagine most would prefer the 81s because they are closed, punchy and allow the bass to come through. Again you are not a basshead but I am not referring to bassheads - the Eggos are really thin but I do not mind for the details, balance & clarity.

Hope some of it helps.
wink.gif

Aug 27, 2006 at 9:05 PM Post #10 of 18
How thin are they, though...compared to say, my K701?

Aug 27, 2006 at 10:59 PM Post #11 of 18
Wow - compared to the k701s? I do not think the 701s are thin at all - rather thick (at least in the midrange) so quite different - noticeably thinner than 701s but not too thin to be non-euphonic. any way for you to try a pair before buying?

Aug 28, 2006 at 2:40 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by spraggih
Wow - compared to the k701s? I do not think the 701s are thin at all - rather thick (at least in the midrange) so quite different - noticeably thinner than 701s but not too thin to be non-euphonic. any way for you to try a pair before buying?

Nope, don't really have the opportunity. I'm mostly going to be listening to rock, jazz, and classical. I'm not a big hip-hop fan except for old school and I don't listen to that much on-the-go.

Aug 28, 2006 at 2:43 AM Post #13 of 18
It's been a long time since I heard them since I sold them YEARS ago, but I didn't find them thin at all. They had reasonably good midbass, not much *deep* bass.

Aug 28, 2006 at 3:24 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver
It's been a long time since I heard them since I sold them YEARS ago, but I didn't find them thin at all. They had reasonably good midbass, not much *deep* bass.

Well, it doesn't need to be an audiophile experience I suppose. I'm mostly just hoping they have a full enough sound that I'll get decent isolation while walking to class. At home, I'll pretty much be using the 701.

Aug 28, 2006 at 3:24 AM Post #15 of 18
For the lows, there is a bass mod for the D66's. I've done it to mine but it only increases it by a smudge. I'm pretty sure I followed a guide from Head-fi a while back, search it up and maybe you can find it again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back