D5000 vs PRO 900 vs HD650
Feb 3, 2011 at 9:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Policaz

New Head-Fier
Hello,
I've been listening to my dads DT 770/250 a lot lately.
After a lot of research, I decided to buy a more expensive headphone. Mainly because I see people buying a certain cheaper headphone and wonder about the more expensive one, therefore will most likely buy another one soon.
I want a balanced headphone with a little bit of extra bass and least leakage.
According to Amazon, their prices are pretty similar, except the HD650, but I'm willing to wait for a sale or buy used.

Just yesterday I got transferred  into a computer class where teacher lets us do what ever we want... Video editing, Photoshop, Flash, HTML.. and such...So for the next half a year I'll be producing (or at least learning how to). Honestly I'm very surprised how things worked out, considering school counselor who transferred me, was trying to be a b*tch and I did not choose the class.

Which of these would you guys recommend? Or others in same price range?

Feb 3, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #3 of 16
I am hearing lots of good things about the PRO 900, but I want to weigh in and say I'm really happy with my D5000s. I'm gonna have to keep collecting and eventually get some PRO900s, but I sure like the D5ks. 

Feb 4, 2011 at 8:50 AM Post #5 of 16
Hmm, all three are exceptional options.  It is certainly a tough decision!  It boils down to which 'phones attributes appeal to you more?  Let's go through them shall we? 
    First, we have the Denons a headphone that has the deepest hardest hitting bass of the group(the PRO900 are not too far off though) it can be a little overwhelming at times but it's well textured and controlled.  The beauty here is despite the strong bass the other frequencies don't suffer, namely the midrange.  The midrange of the D5000 is clear, relaxed and well balanced, along smooth well extended highs.  The only real negatives with this 'phone is that sibilance might an issue in certains instances, because the clamping force is modest it doesn't offer great isolation and it does leak a bit, other than that an it's quite an excellent option.
  Second, we have the Ultrasones a headphone that hits almost or just hard the Denons with a midrange that is smooth and articulate with well extended highs.  They boast exceptional clarity along with excellent detail retrieval and a suprisingly spacious sound.  They isolate better than the D5000 therefore leak less, a great headphone indeed!
  So which one?  Hmm......... I know!  Get both!

Feb 4, 2011 at 9:08 AM Post #6 of 16
^ I noticed you missed out something
wink.gif

Feb 4, 2011 at 11:21 AM Post #8 of 16

Quote:
^ I noticed you missed out something
wink.gif

Ah, right you are!  I was going to include HD650 descriptions but I noticed the OP narrowed his choices to the Denons and the Ultrasones.  So simply left the HD650 out of my post(should have altered the post to better reflect that).

Feb 4, 2011 at 11:33 AM Post #9 of 16
I definitely need to keep collecting. I have not heard as many headphones as I would like to hear. However, the D5000 are my favorite so far by a hundred miles. They are colorful and fantastic; their bass is powerful and unabashed. Despite their mighty low end, the rest of the spectrum is beautifully rendered, too. I suggest anyone who has not heard the Denon sound should try these. Don't write them off just because the HD650 is similarly priced and more popular!

Feb 4, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #10 of 16
My vote goes to the D5000s as well.
Although technically the Sennheiser may be better, tonally more even, never fatiguing and without any known sibilance issues, the D5000s just sound so more engaging and euphonic.
And I am definitely not a bass head and I don't like my music overly bright either, it is just that the D5000s sound more immediate and with more sound pressure, while having a similar textured and smooth midrange the HD650 posses.
Recessed mids? I am starting to get irrititated when people repeat this mantra over and over again, I NEVER feel the mids should be more forward.

The downside to these phones could be the immediate, somewhat upfront sound. Not as upfront as say a Grado or Audio Technica A500, but enough to cause fatigue every now and then, but that's fine because it always means I have been listening too long and I should do something else.
The great thing about these Denons is that they sound excellent at very low listening levels, you really do not need to turn the volume wide open for them to be dynamic and engaging, something I do have with lots of other headphons...er yes, the Sennheiser HD650 in particular.

Feb 5, 2011 at 1:50 AM Post #11 of 16
Thanks a lot guys,
I'm pretty sure those are my last questions.
The DT770/250 work well with Edirol sound card, and I mean really well . Would I need an amp with these headphones? If so, what do you guys use?
Which of these are comfortable to listen to, 4 hours +?
And lastly, should I wait for some deals or $400 is already a good price?

Once again, thank you guys for helping.

Feb 5, 2011 at 3:58 AM Post #12 of 16
I haven't owned any of the headphones in question, but I have owned at one point or another Denon D2000, Ultrasone Pro 2500, and Sennheiser HD 600.

First off, you should let everyone know what kind of music you are mostly into. From my experience, certain brands are very genre-biased.
For example, for contemporary music like pop, hip-hip, electronica, the Ultrasones would out perform the other two 'phones. 
For classical and jazz, I much prefer the Sennheiser sound.
Denons do well as "all-rounders" in my opinion. They can make pretty much anything sound great. 

Secondly, do you want open or closed? 
You mentioned you want to avoid sound leakage. That means the Senns are out the window!
I don't know for sure but the Ultrasones should have better isolation and less leakage. The design of the Denons show that isolation and leakage are not of its concerns.

Lastly, I'll comment on the bass between the Denons and Ultrasones. I think my experience with the D2000s and Pro 2500s can translate better to the D5000s and Pro 900s given that they have very similar sound signatures and qualities respectively; with the pricier models being more refined. From what I've read, the HD 650 and HD 600 are quite different. I could be mistaken.
I would say that my D2000s and Pro 2500s have similar quantities of bass. Also, similar quality of bass; excellent.
However, they are quite different. The Pro 2500s are more in my face and punchier. D2000s more looming and contribute more to the atmosphere. 
Given my preferences in music (electronica, hip-hop) I favor the punchy bass. The bass of the D2000s would shine more in low-ends of classical IMO.

Feb 5, 2011 at 9:39 AM Post #13 of 16
If they sound anything like my D2K's I would take a serious look at the Denon D5K's.

Feb 5, 2011 at 10:03 AM Post #14 of 16
I listen to my D5ks for hours at as time without fatigue, right out of my Nuforce Icon HD. However, they don't really "need" an amp - they sounded very enjoyable from my old sound card before I got the amp. The amp is undeniably better, though. I would say that $400 is a good price, but I'm a college student with few expenses so buying a $400 pair of headphones won't quite kill me. If you're going to be missing meals to get the D5ks, that might be something else. 

Feb 6, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #15 of 16

Quote:
Voohoo said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

First off, you should let everyone know what kind of music you are mostly into. From my experience, certain brands are very genre-biased.

Now I listen to everything. Some of the stuff is jazzy classical type, other is fast bassy type. So good overall monitoring headphones.

Also I heard the D5000 has much more bass than D2000.

Quote:
If you're going to be missing meals to get the D5ks, that might be something else. 

=) Nah.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back