d5000 Full Size Cans VS UE11 IEM ?
Mar 2, 2008 at 7:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

gbx2006

100+ Head-Fier
I know this might be a weird question considering the Denon D5000 and the UE11 is not in the same class, but I am curious to know what the different between the two are.

I am mainly asking what the difference is between IEM and full sized cans are in general.

I have only owned IEM, but I like the idea of full sized headphones when I am at home.

Is there a big difference in SQ with a full sized over a IEM?

If I was mainly listening at home, would a UE11 purchase and a d5000 purchase be a waste of money?

Mar 2, 2008 at 8:56 PM Post #2 of 16
Yes It would. Considering you mainly listen at home, the d5000 would make more sense. Having the $1000 IEM to listen to outside of the house is not really a smart idea in my opinion. Cant really comment on the UE11s, but the d5000s are one of the best phones money can buy.

Mar 3, 2008 at 1:33 AM Post #7 of 16
According to what I have read there seems to very little sound quality difference in D5000 and D2000, the D5000 has better cable and wood cups and looks nicer but the D2000 sounds about the same otherwise. I have the D2000 and love it.

I think getting the livewires and D2000 would be a nice treat.
smily_headphones1.gif
Better value for your money.

Mar 3, 2008 at 2:12 AM Post #8 of 16
Don´t forget his main question:
Quote:

Originally Posted by gbx2006 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am mainly asking what the difference is between IEM and full sized cans are in general.

The Soundstage of a full-sized can is much wider. Some people call the Soundstage of IEM just "headstage" because you hear the music just between you ears.

One problem with full sized cans is reverberation. Especially with the Denon D2/5000. But if you do the Mark Mod with your D2/5000, the bluring effect gets reduced. Still not as detailed as with a IEM but therefor with better soundstage.

Another things are the cost. A modded D2000 cost you a third of the UE11.

Mar 3, 2008 at 2:30 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
According to what I have read there seems to very little sound quality difference in D5000 and D2000, the D5000 has better cable and wood cups and looks nicer but the D2000 sounds about the same otherwise. I have the D2000 and love it.

I think getting the livewires and D2000 would be a nice treat.
smily_headphones1.gif
Better value for your money.

The D5000 sound better than the D2000. They have a much more natural tone.

Mar 3, 2008 at 4:04 AM Post #10 of 16
I haven't compared the Denons to the UE11s; however, I've compared the UE Triple.fi 10 Pros to the AKG 701s and Audio Technica W5000. The UE clearly had the best frequency response and tonal naturalness of the three. The imaging of all the cans and the IEMs were comparable to me. I can sense front-to-back depth and side-to-side placement. It's never out in front of you like in most musical preformances, but I don't think that the good IEMs suffer relative to good headphones.

Chasing imaging with headphones just doesn't make sense to me.

Dave

Mar 4, 2008 at 4:16 AM Post #11 of 16
Thanks for all of the replies.

I think I am going to give the d5000 a shot. Since the price is less then half of the price of the ue11's, I figure this would be a good start.

90% of of my music listening is at home, so I guess this is the most logical step.

I mainly asked this question because I kind of thought the ue11 would actually sound better for some reason, but it looks like that is not the case and it makes since to me now.

Thanks again for the help!

Mar 4, 2008 at 4:47 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by gbx2006 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for all of the replies.

I think I am going to give the d5000 a shot. Since the price is less then half of the price of the ue11's, I figure this would be a good start.

90% of of my music listening is at home, so I guess this is the most logical step.

I mainly asked this question because I kind of thought the ue11 would actually sound better for some reason, but it looks like that is not the case and it makes since to me now.

Thanks again for the help!

No matter the cost, an IEM will never be better than a good pair of headpones.

Mar 4, 2008 at 6:17 AM Post #13 of 16
I really do wish someone would do a full comparison between a D2000 and a D5000. I had read earlier on that the wood is only cosmetic. I would like to know. It would be a real treat if someone who knew what they were doing compared a markl modded d5000 and a d2000 with the same mod. I don't think I'm alone in this.

oh and as far as iem and full size cans, if your staying home what is the point of iems? I guess maybe i bed, but thats about all i see.

Mar 6, 2008 at 12:24 AM Post #14 of 16
I want to thank all of you for recommending the d5000.

I just received it in the mail yesterday and all I can say is WOW!

Best set of headphones I have ever heard. Of course I am only comparing it to IEM's, since that is all I have ever used up to this point.

I have been burning them in for about 24 hours now, and they already sound amazing. I can not wait to hear them at that 200 hour mark.

So far, I actually do not think I will be doing the mod on these. Unless the sound changes greatly, I really like the bass the way it is. I personally like it when there is so much bass, parts of brain are bouncing against my skull.

The sound stage is crazy wide and deep. On some songs, I actually turn my head around because I think I hear someone behind me. I am sure my 2move amp with crossfeed turned on has something to do with this as well though.

Now I have to figure out a way to get away with wearing these at the gym. I am not sure if I can go back to IEM's now.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back