D5000 cable on my SA-5000 ??
Aug 26, 2008 at 5:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Koolind

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys...

My cable on my Sony SA-5000 are broken.. I recon that the cable has broken about where its tied into a knot to keep it inside the cup (which apparently is quite stupid) But i probably need a new cable then; but sending my headphone to apuresound or something is a bit expensive considering that i live in the EU and would risk to pay costums also just to recable them :S

so.. i was thinking; couldnt i "just" put a D5000 cable on my SA-5000 instead.? It looks like a great stock cable and have read many good things about it.. But would it be good for a pair of SA-5000?

Anybody who have some thoughts about this? is it a bad idea? should i throw the big bucks after a professional recable instead..?

Aug 26, 2008 at 8:23 AM Post #2 of 11
I don't see a problem with simply replacing the current cable with your D5000 cable. I doubt you will notice any difference in quality but bare in mind that is coming from a person who strongly believes that cables have no effect on sound quality what so ever.

Aug 26, 2008 at 9:54 AM Post #5 of 11
well i dont actually have one lying around, but was thinking of buying one. They shouldnt be very expensive compared to a moon audio, apuresound etc.
So i am going to buy a cable no matter what, the question is which.. and if a D5000 would be suitable for a SA5K.. They look and feel nice i think..

Aug 26, 2008 at 11:48 AM Post #6 of 11
Personally a cable is a cable, any cable will work and I believe at least a cable doesnt impact the sound quality at all, so if you wanted to save some money you could go to an electrical store and probably find a cheaper cable. However from what I've read the D5000 cable is a great quaility cable in terms of durability.

Aug 26, 2008 at 12:24 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by No Smoking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally a cable is a cable, any cable will work and I believe at least a cable doesnt impact the sound quality at all, so if you wanted to save some money you could go to an electrical store and probably find a cheaper cable. However from what I've read the D5000 cable is a great quaility cable in terms of durability.

contrary to what your handle says, what infact, are you smoking?
tongue.gif

Aug 26, 2008 at 12:52 PM Post #8 of 11
Well that statement shouldn't be taken too literally, of course you couldn't use something like a usb cable for your headphones but you could use any form of audio cable. I do stand by my statement that a cable doesn't impact the sound quality, the idea that the conductivity, purity of the metal etc impacts sound quality in my eyes is just ludicrous.

Edit: You actually could use ANY cable as long as they were connected correctly and consisted of some form of conductive metal.

Aug 26, 2008 at 1:20 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Well that statement shouldn't be taken too literally, of course you couldn't use something like a usb cable for your headphones but you could use any form of audio cable. I do stand by my statement that a cable doesn't impact the sound quality, the idea that the conductivity, purity of the metal etc impacts sound quality in my eyes is just ludicrous.

Edit: You actually could use ANY cable as long as they were connected correctly and consisted of some form of conductive metal.

i disagree that you can use ANY cable, thats a remark too far IMHO, but nevermind

Quote:

I do stand by my statement that a cable doesn't impact the sound quality

you are nearly onto something there with that statement, maybe you and me will get on famously after all
icon10.gif
- let me make a little change to it;

Quote:

I do stand by my statement that a great cable doesn't impact the sound quality

thats correct, thats why we/me/us spend big bucks on great cables, so as to not effect the original sound signature as much as possible.

ironic isnt it really, we are spending money to have something work as innafectively as possible, to be as neautral as possible, haha, the irony of audio - i have found that some cables, dont have to be just cheap, some expensive ones also tint the sound.

if you can find a cheap cable that is as neutral as the big boys you are made for life.

i would suggest there isnt smoke without fire, in the sense that there must be something in cables and their affectation of music to have spawned an entire market, audio forums, furious debate, etc - to create that want for a decent neutral cable

i mean to strip it down to basics, would you agree or disagree that silver cables are more detailed and cold, and copper is more warm and musical?

be interested to hear your response on that end question

cheers...

Aug 26, 2008 at 4:03 PM Post #10 of 11
well i do think that there is a difference from cable to cable, but im not fanatic at all.. But i have heard the difference between lousy speaker cables and some of a decent quality, which was quite large..
However i dont think that 200$ used on a cable will give me better sound than if i used the extra 200$ on better headphones.. Probably its more a question of making it a bit different when it comes to cables than directly better, given that its a decent quality..

Aug 26, 2008 at 6:56 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sry to be off topic but where did you get that duckie in your avatar? i want one!

haha... well its mine :p but i think i just found it by googleing rubberduck...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back