D3 Python and P2 Heron Arrive!
Sep 25, 2008 at 1:37 AM Post #16 of 240
Hi guys, I received my P3 and D3 yesterday. What a pair of beautiful units, the fit and finish is superb and the best of any iBasso product so far. Well done iBasso!

Now I need to get my butt over to Wallmart or Wallgreens to get batteries!
wink.gif
Below are a couple of pictures.

dscn0368316.jpg

dscn0369377.jpg

I have a total of 4 new portable amps to test! Plus a new can. I need to find time to burn-in and test all this gear. Thanks iBasso!

Sep 25, 2008 at 2:17 AM Post #17 of 240
Quote:

Originally Posted by trickywombat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ron:
How would you rate the D3 compared with the clean-sounding iQube or very open/euphonic ZH1? Transparency, soundstage and bass impact are important to me. For neutrality, I always have my iQube to fall back on.

I'm a sucker for amps with user-replaceable batteries.

Keeping in mind that I only have about 10 hours on my D3, I really like the sound of this amp. It is hard to compare with the ZH-1, as the ZH-1 crossfeed produces a lot of subjective soundstage differences.

I have been switching back and forth between the ZH-1 and D3, using the D3 DAC for both. There are differences but both sound superb. I can't say one is better than the other. Which would I keep if I could only have one??? Well, the D3 has a superb DAC! and is mucho smaller.
The ZH-1, on the other hand, has an outstanding soundstage and the best crossfeed implementation that I have heard.

I hope I never have to make this decision!!!!

That said, the D3 overall sound is more reminscent of my iQube than the ZH-1. There is a lot of space around the instruments in the D3, and soundstage depth is, I believe, more apparent than in my iQube. It is a very "fast" amp, accurately reproducing transients that I have not noticed before in some of my recordings, but is still well balanced throughout the audio spectrum. It VERY well reproduces the delicate and difficult to reproduce harmonics of such instruments as violins, piano, harpsichord, etc. A very great sense of realism. Brass has a very nice sheen, as in live performances. The D3 also presents vocals very convincingly.

My Klipsch Images sound better with the D3 than any of my other amps. I have not, as yet, really run thru all my phones with both new amps. They both drive my Senns with no difficulty. I just wanted to try it with IEMs to make sure it wasn't too bright. It's not.

These audio traits mentioned above are, in large part, due to the sonic characteristics of the ADA4841-2 opamps that are used in the D3. This opamp can be a bit bright in the highs, but the iBasso circuit design seems to have tamed this tendancy.

The only real negative I have noticed is an increased sensitivity to outside RF, such as cellphone. iBasso mentioned this to me in an email. Nearly all portables are affected, but the D3 more than most. All it means is that you must move your cellphone a bit further away from the amp and interconnects.

At this point, I prefer the sound and imaging of the D3 over that of the P3, but I am sure that there are going to be many very good opamp combinations that will make the P3 a standout amp. I have not, as yet, made any changes over what was installed on arrival. (But you can bet that I will very soon!)

At this point, I will have to say that the D3 Python is iBassos best amp yet!

Sep 25, 2008 at 12:52 PM Post #18 of 240
Damn, I think I just found a successor to my viper!!

HiFlight, thanks for the very detailed and helpful first impressions. We would be very excited to hear your take on the different P3 opamp combinations. I would think it is possible that with such degree of customizability the heron could sound as or even better than the pred
biggrin.gif
Please do keep us updated in the heron rolling thread.

I would post some pics of the heron soon.

Sep 25, 2008 at 1:22 PM Post #19 of 240
Just a couple quick questions:
1. what is the main difference, other than the batteries, between the D3 and D2? I see they use the same DAC and amp chips, both have 2 gain settings etc.
2. would these be good for high sensitivity IEM's? (specifically, would they perhaps help alleviate/prevent hiss)

Cheers,
X

Sep 26, 2008 at 1:17 AM Post #23 of 240
Quote:

Originally Posted by younglee200 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I'm gonna order the D3 as my first DAC / Amp. But I do want to know how these sound with IEMs (triple fis)

I have no Triple-Fi's but I have tried the D3 with both my Klipsch Images and my FreqShows, and they both sound superb.
The Images are particularly synergistic with the Python. They have never sounded so good. I would expect the Triple-Fi's to also perform as well.

This amp seems to sound great no matter what the impedance or sensitivity of the phones. Imaging is very good with IEMs, which is often not the case with this type of phone.

Sep 26, 2008 at 1:34 AM Post #24 of 240
Are you using the USB as a source?

Sep 26, 2008 at 1:35 AM Post #25 of 240
Quote:

Originally Posted by evilmerlin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The price does include shipping the last time I checked.

I was looking the other day and I seem to remember it tacked on 20 something dollars for shipping during the checkout process.

-Robert

Sep 26, 2008 at 1:50 AM Post #26 of 240
They have always charged for shipping. It does get here fast. They used DHL for me and it took a couple of days.

Sep 26, 2008 at 4:34 AM Post #29 of 240
Glad you like the amps. I'd be interested in some more D3 comparisons with the D2 Viper and Boa, when you have time. I'm still holding out for an improved iBasso with optical input before I buy my portable amp #9 (I have 8 here right now)

[EDIT - correction, I already own 10 portable amps = TTVJ portable Millett, Predator, Pico, iBasso D2 Viper & D2 Boa, Headstage Lyrix, Meier Headsix, HR Micro Amp, Vivid Tech V1 and Travagans Colors].

Sep 26, 2008 at 7:35 PM Post #30 of 240
Just a quick question people..

I'm about to buy either of these two amps for my portable setup. I already have Emu 0404 USB, though and use it to connect my MP3s to hi-fi audio system (big integral amp, big speakers).
Given, that I'm pleased with that sound,
which of these two amps should I get?
D3 or P3?

I mean will this glorious D3s DAC be of any use to me, since I'm already using one from my 0404 USB? Is it possible to link EMU 0404 USB with D3 and get some improvements in SQ? Or is it that good, that I should just forget about 0404USB and use D3 as a DAC instead?

I'm not into that opamp rolling, though, so are there any other benefits of P3 for me?

Sorry for many questions, but looks like I've finally decided on a portable amp, but I'm trying to squeeze max of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back