D2000 with Recessed Highs.
Jan 26, 2012 at 5:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

tseliottt

100+ Head-Fier
I just got some D2000s, and was absolutely enjoying them until I listened to Flying Lotus' Cosmogramma tonight. For some reason the high frequencies were bugging the **** out of me. And every album after that, I couldn't stop thinking about the piercing highs. I'll listen to them a little more, but if I continue not to like them, what are some other options?

I'm looking for something that has the bass of the D2000s, but without the shrill high frequencies. Do the HD650s have similiar bass? Or maybe just hook the Denons up to a tube amp?

Jan 26, 2012 at 5:55 AM Post #2 of 17
I'm a newbie around here, But I've read a couple members saying you want to use SS amp with D2000.. Not tube

source: http://www.head-fi.org/t/592119/amp-for-denon-ah-d2000

Jan 26, 2012 at 6:02 AM Post #3 of 17
D5000 is pretty much what you want, assuming you have the extra cash to upgrade. It has the softest treble of the three big boy Denons.

Electronics-Expo through Amazon.com sells a NEW in open box (with warranty) D5000 for $400. All they do is literally open the box just so they can mark down the price. The headphones will be untouched. This is according to a few of us who have bought new in open box Denons from them (myself included, my D7000 was brand new, stickers and all).

Jan 26, 2012 at 6:07 AM Post #4 of 17

Quote:
D5000 is pretty much what you want, assuming you have the extra cash to upgrade. It has the softest treble of the three big boy Denons.
Electronics-Expo through Amazon.com sells a NEW in open box (with warranty) D5000 for $400. All they do is literally open the box just so they can mark down the price. The headphones will be untouched. This is according to a few of us who have bought new in open box Denons from them (myself included, my D7000 was brand new, stickers and all).

Can confirm this, Bought D2000 "open-box" off electronic-expo...

It was literally new.

Jan 26, 2012 at 10:01 AM Post #5 of 17
What kind of business model is that? I can't see how that would be a good idea unless they get them dirt cheap in bulk and want to sell them fast...

Jan 26, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #7 of 17
What kind of business model is that? I can't see how that would be a good idea unless they get them dirt cheap in bulk and want to sell them fast...

That's probably what they do. I figure they're probably still getting a profit from it. They always sell plenty of new in open boxes. I can't imagine a lot of Denons being returned, so yes, it must be so they can manage to make a slight profit quickly. It's a loop hole, I assume. It's not like they don't sell brand new either.

Jan 26, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #8 of 17

Quote:
I just got some D2000s, and was absolutely enjoying them until I listened to Flying Lotus' Cosmogramma tonight. For some reason the high frequencies were bugging the **** out of me. And every album after that, I couldn't stop thinking about the piercing highs. I'll listen to them a little more, but if I continue not to like them, what are some other options?

I'm looking for something that has the bass of the D2000s, but without the shrill high frequencies. Do the HD650s have similiar bass? Or maybe just hook the Denons up to a tube amp?

Same experience except I love my D2000s, there is only one album where the treble just doesn't do it. I can't listen to Painkiller at all, the song in particular.. damn man, those SSS sounds hurt.

Jan 26, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #9 of 17
Yea, my ears really prefer the lower end of the sound spectrum.

Any other suggestions around or below $300? If the D5000s are the best option, I'll probably give them a try.

Jan 26, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #10 of 17
Had a quick run in with HD650s. I like the sound of the mids and highs, but the bass isn't nearly as powerful as the D2000s, though they did have great extension. A little head-nodding oomph, and they would be great. Or maybe I didn't enjoy them because I didn't have enough time to listen to them.

would the DT990s be good? Or is the treble even sharper on them?

Jan 26, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #12 of 17

Quote:

It is just a way that dealers/distributors get around manufacturer MAP (minimum advertised price) requirements.  

Jan 26, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #13 of 17
Pick up a cheap pair of headphones like these, take the earpad foam from said cheap headphones and cut it into disc, and insert this foam disc directly in front of the driver (underneath the earpads). I personally used the foam pads from my KSC75. I just trimmed the "lip" off the foam and it was a perfect fit. Of course, this was for my open-backed D2000 mod, but the same principle applies. It made a wonderful difference.

Jan 27, 2012 at 3:08 AM Post #14 of 17

Quote:
Pick up a cheap pair of headphones like these, take the earpad foam from said cheap headphones and cut it into disc, and insert this foam disc directly in front of the driver (underneath the earpads). I personally used the foam pads from my KSC75. I just trimmed the "lip" off the foam and it was a perfect fit. Of course, this was for my open-backed D2000 mod, but the same principle applies. It made a wonderful difference.

I'll try that as soon as I find my KSC75s.

I'm also going to get a bit more hands on, since nobody has any suggestions, and audition the XB1000. I remember that I really like them during my short encounter with them, so we'll see if they can give the D2000s a run for their money.

Jan 27, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #15 of 17
Tried the DT770s and DT880s today, and they're even worse than the Denons as some of you had said. Treble is piercing, and the bass didn't seem as controlled. The DT770s bass bled a lot into the lower mid-range.

Will try the XB1000s within next week and report back.

Why can't there be a pair with HD650 mids/highs, and a Denon low-end?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back