d2000 to ms2??
Nov 9, 2007 at 9:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

busanblues

100+ Head-Fier
i just bought a denon d2000 and by all means i love it even without an amp. But thought bass was not tight enough for me and this can is too big. Today, i tried my friends ms1 and it did not sound as good but the look and the bass. Bass was so tight, that was so my kind of bass. but i love everything else about my d2000. I mean everything. Is this a good idea to go from d2000 to Ms2 ??? what i mean is is Ms2 such an improvement over Ms1 ??? Sad
blink.gif
but i can not afford both of them so i have to get rid of d2000 if i want ms2.
ps. i do not have an amp yet. yes i know i should, i might get ibasso d1 this winter thou.

Nov 9, 2007 at 1:02 PM Post #5 of 20
Buy an amp, it will tighten up the bass on your D2000. The money it will cost you to sell the D2000 and buy the MS2s will almost pay for the amp, not to mention the hassle factor.

Nov 9, 2007 at 2:10 PM Post #6 of 20
If you don't plan to buy an amp then the choice is obvious. However, I think you'll find that as you upgrade components like amp and source, your D2000 will probably perform much better than your MS2

Nov 9, 2007 at 6:05 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by rlanger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you don't plan to buy an amp then the choice is obvious. However, I think you'll find that as you upgrade components like amp and source, your D2000 will probably perform much better than your MS2

first of all, the MS2i will not sound like a $299 headphone without an amp... it is a grado(/alessandro) and they are not 'hard to drive' as in high impedance, but they require lots of current which only a decent amp can give

secondly... what makes you say that the D2000 would scale/perform better than the MS2i? Any personal experience (if not, perhaps better to refrain from such gratuitous 'fanboyish' advice)? I haven't heard the D2000, but I can assure you that the MS2i scales very well and out of my NAD C542 + Millet MAX I consider it a very high quality phone. As said I haven't heard the D2000 myself, so I'm sorry but I can't make any comparison...

Nov 9, 2007 at 6:16 PM Post #8 of 20
money-wise, getting an MS2 would lead you to get an amp anyways... they deserve one (from what i read around here)

but if the bass is "too" bloated for your liking, maybe just selling the d2000 and getting an MS1 (with or without an amp) would be a good choice

Nov 9, 2007 at 7:45 PM Post #9 of 20
Perhaps you're a candidate for the markl mod? Though the AH-D2000 seems to already have some sort of material in the cups, maybe the stuffing the earpad mod will do something to your liking?

I don't know, just something to think about.
tongue.gif

Nov 9, 2007 at 8:16 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Televator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
first of all, the MS2i will not sound like a $299 headphone without an amp... it is a grado(/alessandro) and they are not 'hard to drive' as in high impedance, but they require lots of current which only a decent amp can give

secondly... what makes you say that the D2000 would scale/perform better than the MS2i? Any personal experience (if not, perhaps better to refrain from such gratuitous 'fanboyish' advice)? I haven't heard the D2000, but I can assure you that the MS2i scales very well and out of my NAD C542 + Millet MAX I consider it a very high quality phone. As said I haven't heard the D2000 myself, so I'm sorry but I can't make any comparison...

As a matter of fact, I have heard both (well, all 3 actually), but it has nothing to do with fanboyism. I actually mistyped because I was comparing the D2K to the MS1 in my mind. The MS2 likely scales very well in comparison to the D2K.

So sorry, but no need for you to be such a fanboy and get all defensive about your MS2s.

Nov 9, 2007 at 9:24 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by rlanger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So sorry, but no need for you to be such a fanboy and get all defensive about your MS2s.

uh, my first paragraph was actually saying that if one doesn't intend to buy an amp, the MS2i isn't a good choice either (the MS1 might be, but I think the MS2i isn't worth its pretty high price tag when it will only be used underpowered)... the second paragraph was simply my experience presented without gratuitous degrading of other headphones or nonsensical superlatives like "the best" ... that isn't really fanboyism in my book...

Nov 9, 2007 at 10:18 PM Post #13 of 20
The MS2i is much more balanced top to bottom than the D2000 IMO, depends on what you're looking for in headphones, a tight sounding not-so comfy can or a really comfy one with a more groovy bass sound signature that hides some lower-mids details. The fact that the Alessandro is an open can is it's main advantage over the Denon, midrange wise. I enjoyed both alot but would take the MS2i any day over the D2000. Both are current savvy & scale very well with proper amps.

Nov 10, 2007 at 5:45 AM Post #14 of 20
thanks for all the advise, i guess i have to get an amp first>> my only source is sony desktop and clix 2nd generation, and i find clix pathetic as a source but that's only option for my portable music and i am out almost all the time, desktop sounds alright. of course clix sounds good with my cm7ti but not with my d2000. i find any kind of EQ while using d2000 kind of unbalanced. so what kind of amp sould i get for clix under 200??? and the thing that really i wanted to know was how different is ms2 from ms1?? i mean is ms2 a big improvement over ms1?? If not than i would never go for ms2, i find isolation and staging so much better with my d2000 than ms1. or it's kind of stupid to talk about cans after listening to them all umamped???
confused.gif

how pretty is ms2 in real life??? is it better than what i see in pictures???i really liked the style of ms1(although materials were pathetic....
once again, thanks for all the replies!!
600smile.gif

ps. i so far had this for about 2weeks or so, so i listen to this for about 80 hours or so, so far.

Nov 10, 2007 at 6:39 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by busanblues /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how pretty is ms2 in real life??? is it better than what i see in pictures???i really liked the style of ms1(although materials were pathetic....
once again, thanks for all the replies!!
600smile.gif

The MS2i's are so sexy, they make the all plastic Grados look like crap.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back