D2 or iAudio7???
Jan 23, 2008 at 2:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

janruzinsky

100+ Head-Fier
Su guys, I have found myself stuck between the 7 and the D2...
I need help to find out which I should buy. Can anyone help me here?
My questions are:

1. which UI is better??
2. battery life: how long will the battery last on the D2 using a 8gb SDHC card?
3. are there any differences in SQ?

or you can mention other reasons.

thanks,

j.

Jan 23, 2008 at 2:44 PM Post #2 of 21
Well you have a nice problem!

I use the D2, I cannot talk much for the 7. D2 UI is touch screen,(don't need the small stick that comes with it),I use mine with file tree folder system and it is similar with other Cowon players.

Battery life with 8gb SDHC is around 25 hrs. I "run" the D2 with 2 gb SD card without any problem. I used to run the 8 gb HDSC card but somehow my pcs stopped recognizing it. It was still working perfect with the D2.

I bought a silicone sleeve from ebay for the D2 and from Future Shop I found in the camera case section a "Optex" small padded case that was intended for digital cards. The D2 fits perfect and it velcros on my belt.

I bought and install a 2.5" screen protector.

I dropped the D2 and the sliding on/off switch was no more functionning mechanically. Within 1 month I had a RMA # from Cowon and the repaired D2 back. Very good service there.

Also it plays video if you like.

regards,

Jan 23, 2008 at 2:50 PM Post #3 of 21
Well so the SDHC card is reducing the batt to 50%? I think this is pretty much. Maybe too much.

Jan 23, 2008 at 4:47 PM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caribou679 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well you have a nice problem!

I use the D2, I cannot talk much for the 7. D2 UI is touch screen,(don't need the small stick that comes with it),I use mine with file tree folder system and it is similar with other Cowon players.

Battery life with 8gb SDHC is around 25 hrs. I "run" the D2 with 2 gb SD card without any problem. I used to run the 8 gb HDSC card but somehow my pcs stopped recognizing it. It was still working perfect with the D2.

I bought a silicone sleeve from ebay for the D2 and from Future Shop I found in the camera case section a "Optex" small padded case that was intended for digital cards. The D2 fits perfect and it velcros on my belt.

I bought and install a 2.5" screen protector.

I dropped the D2 and the sliding on/off switch was no more functionning mechanically. Within 1 month I had a RMA # from Cowon and the repaired D2 back. Very good service there.

Also it plays video if you like.

regards,

This is clearly not the case for most D2 users. It's unfortunate, but I get close to 45 hours with an 8GB SDHC card, which still kills most players on the market. Most other D2 owners I've spoke to get similar battery life.

Jan 23, 2008 at 5:48 PM Post #5 of 21
If you are only going to listen to music then the i7 will probably suit your needs the best. Otherwise go with the D2 they are both great in terms of SQ, but the i7 has the edge by a really small margin. The battery life of the i7 is a little bit better than that of the D2, but again its too close to call.

Jan 24, 2008 at 12:13 AM Post #6 of 21
i just chose i7 > d2 b/c thats what i'd choose...

no need for video! and did i mention i hate touch screens? =]

Jan 24, 2008 at 9:52 AM Post #8 of 21
music only, iA7
for PMP, D2

Jan 24, 2008 at 10:01 AM Post #9 of 21
I think I want a 7 with an SD card slot....
mad.gif
frown.gif

Jan 24, 2008 at 10:38 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I want a 7 with an SD card slot....
mad.gif
frown.gif

the same here...

Jan 24, 2008 at 6:01 PM Post #11 of 21
When I got my D2 in march 2007, the iaudio 7 was not present. I already had a U3 2gb that was doing everything ok except it was lacking a bit of space.

The D2 has the potential for SD expansion card.

If I had to decide now I might go for the 7 with 8 or 16gb. But still the D2 has the potential for swapping music...And I use it only for music, not any video.

The 7 is more compact, looks like a U3's big brother.

I heard a D3 is coming in the few next months, smaller with a higher screen resolution.Might be interesting.

regards,

Feb 14, 2008 at 4:14 AM Post #12 of 21
I got a D2 when it 1st comes out but it got stolen when my car is stolen. . .
I don't think the I audio 7 sq is any better than D2.
Please let me know. I need to know this.
I like I audio 7 because of the design. It's the best design out there.. My opinion..

Feb 14, 2008 at 4:22 AM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azzure7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like I audio 7 because of the design.

Me too. Its dimensions are perfect imo...and it don't sound bad neither
biggrin.gif

IMG_1240.jpg

...and welcome to Head-Fi

Feb 14, 2008 at 4:34 AM Post #14 of 21
the d2 is not quite good enough for video - it is a small screen and as much as i used it, it did not decode video very well - many blurry artifacts that looked wonderful on the computer.

i just drag and dropped from itunes - worked wonderfully, much easier than doing tree stuffs. as for battery life, i got about 33 hours without the card and 20-30 with it. i know about 2/3 of the people get within 10 hours of cowons spec of 52, most about 45 or less. the other 1/3 seem to get poor results like i had. if that is true, that is a very very high rate of problem units.

i never bothered with the sd card. sound is good, and has low hiss, like the ipod nano 3g. good use of a limited eq and honours a few good opensource codecs. naturally, they are cheap to implement so it is no deal breaker that another player did not support flac or ogg. i use aac and mp3 generally. sometimes wav.

both are good machines but i think the extra money is wasted if you go for the d2 - it is not good enough for movies to justify the fat body and extra 60 dollars or whatever it is now. cheers

Feb 14, 2008 at 7:06 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the d2 is not quite good enough for video - it is a small screen and as much as i used it, it did not decode video very well - many blurry artifacts that looked wonderful on the computer.

i just drag and dropped from itunes - worked wonderfully, much easier than doing tree stuffs. as for battery life, i got about 33 hours without the card and 20-30 with it. i know about 2/3 of the people get within 10 hours of cowons spec of 52, most about 45 or less. the other 1/3 seem to get poor results like i had. if that is true, that is a very very high rate of problem units.

i never bothered with the sd card. sound is good, and has low hiss, like the ipod nano 3g. good use of a limited eq and honours a few good opensource codecs. naturally, they are cheap to implement so it is no deal breaker that another player did not support flac or ogg. i use aac and mp3 generally. sometimes wav.

both are good machines but i think the extra money is wasted if you go for the d2 - it is not good enough for movies to justify the fat body and extra 60 dollars or whatever it is now. cheers

I have to disagree with you shigzeo, the D2 plays video better and of better quality than any MP3/PMP with similar screen size. It has amazing detail and color accuracy. Especially when playing videos upwards of 1mbps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back