D-SLR, Canon vs Nikon, Why???
Mar 9, 2007 at 12:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

RYCeT

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi guys, I just wanna know for all of you DSLR user, which camp are you went into and what is your reason sticking out with it?

I'm still a noobs for photography and there's a lot that I like to learn. However, a friend of mine is a canon guy and I knew more about canon body, lens, etc from him. Another reason, When I bought my rebel xt, it was pretty good deal, cheaper than nikon and got more power/features. However after reading Kenrockwell website, I got bite with the grass is greener on the other side. It made me interested on Nikon. I probably stay with canon but wanna see how good nikon is according to their user so I can choose my future photography investment wisely. So, let me hear your reason why you're sticking out with either canon, nikon or any other DSLR brand?

Mar 9, 2007 at 12:24 AM Post #2 of 26
You cant go wrong with either one. I have both systems but my digital is Canon because 2 years ago when I wanted to start digital Canon 20D was a much better camera than D70. Now Canon still seems to have a slight edge due to full frame chips but other than this they are both great.

Mar 9, 2007 at 12:41 AM Post #3 of 26
Double what Dimitris said. I moved to Nikon (D70 BTW
wink.gif
) from Canon 'cause at the time it was slightly ahead. Would likely buy Canon right now. I like the Canon sensor and Nikkor lenses. Pick your poison. Only other suggestion would be, like headphones, there's a Nikon and Canon "house" color. Look at samples and see which you prefer.

Mar 9, 2007 at 12:49 AM Post #4 of 26
I have a Canon film SLR; if I buy a DSLR any time soon, it'll likely be a Canon, because I already have Canon equipment and am used to shooting on Canon cameras.

Which seems to be the rationale behind a lot of people picking their specific brands.

Mar 9, 2007 at 1:18 AM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdelayer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a Canon film SLR; if I buy a DSLR any time soon, it'll likely be a Canon, because I already have Canon equipment and am used to shooting on Canon cameras.

Which seems to be the rationale behind a lot of people picking their specific brands.

Yup, the flash, the lens all just port across. The film SLR instantly becomes a trusty backup camera.

Mar 9, 2007 at 1:39 AM Post #6 of 26
As of right now, Canon and Nikon are about neck-in-neck in competition and what they have to offer. Some days I absolutely love shooting with my Canon gear, other days I just wish I had a Nikon rig. The truth is, you can't really go wrong with either, and both seem to have good outlooks for the future.

Oh and btw, if you already have a decent camera body, you might as well put the rest of your money into some good lenses/lighting instead of having to go through the hassle and wasted money by switching to a different brand.

Mar 9, 2007 at 3:33 AM Post #7 of 26
If your starting fresh, it doesn't matter either way. My girlfriend got me a Rebel XT for Christmas, so I didn't have much of a choice, but I was biased towards Canons, because I generally knew more about them. Both brands have great bodies, great lenses, great flashes (although I tend to think Nikon has a slight advantage in this area), and great accessories (I tend to think Canon has a slight advantage in this area. You can't go wrong either way. If you're used to Canon stuff, stick with Canon. At the end of the day is basically comes down to you as a photographer, not your equipment.

Mar 9, 2007 at 4:05 AM Post #8 of 26
For me what tips it in the favor of Nikon is how the cameras feel and operate. I felt more impressed by the $500 D50 than the $1200 30D. The only Canon that began to feel acceptable to me was the $2500+ 5D. I just like the way Nikon designs their camera bodies and menu systems a lot more. And if you're not comfortable using the camera, I'd imagine you'd use it less and/or miss a lot of great pics.

Mar 9, 2007 at 4:18 AM Post #9 of 26
Go to a Ritz Camera or other camera store where they will let you pick up and use the cameras. Get a feel for both camera. They'll both produce excellent results, it's just about what you will like, so give them a shot. People seem to be split 50/50 on this matter, I chose the Nikon because in general, I think they have a better feel to them, and as a person with large hands, I appreciate their large hand grips.

Mar 9, 2007 at 4:26 AM Post #11 of 26
I started with a Nikon D50 and thought it was great, but recently switched to a Rebel XTi, but really only because I wasn't that invested in Nikon lenses yet and liked a lot of things about the XTi more compared to the D50 or the D80 I was also interested in.

I would also suggest you try out the camera for youself.

Mar 9, 2007 at 4:40 AM Post #12 of 26
I agree that handling should be a large factor in using the camera. How does it fit in your hand? It's weight balance? Can you reach all the buttons? Does the menuing system hamper you in any way? How is the viewfinder? For me, I'm truly comfortable with large Canon bodies. 30D and 5D are a bit too small for me. D200 is not perfect fit either.

I am interested in Zeiss and Nikkor glass so may head there. As for bodys, I'm interested in the new Fuji in D200 body. It wouldn't be my only body so it's not a prob that it's not a perfect fit. First I must master what I already have.

The way I see it, it's best to be in all camps.
blink.gif
This doesn't surprise me since I'm in all camps with headphones and computers.

Mar 9, 2007 at 6:46 AM Post #13 of 26
Go to a store. Hold both. Buy the one that feels better.

BOTH are fantastic systems, and each will do absolutely anything you need it to at about the same price point. But one will usually feel better. My Nikon D50 feels solid and intuitive and the Rebel XT felt like a toy to me BUT I knew people who thought the opposite. It's a personal decision.

Mar 9, 2007 at 10:58 AM Post #14 of 26
I recently went Nikon mainly because of seeing lots of samples from Nikon bodies and also Canon. There was just something in the Nikon photos that pleased me which I didn't see in the Canon ones.

Whenever I hear Nikon vs Canon people always talk about ergonomics but never about the fact that both cameras actually produce different looking photos. Or maybe it's just to me?
very_evil_smiley.gif
I can tell if a photo it taken with a Canon 350d or D70 for example.

I'm not saying that Nikon produces superior results, but to me the colours look more satisfying.

Mar 9, 2007 at 12:56 PM Post #15 of 26
I think it depends on which lenses the pictures were taken with. Some Nikon got this slightly "coldish" look which can give certain affect in portrait, but some Tamron got warmer, more punchy look. Geez, it's getting just like headphones.
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back