D-SLR, Canon vs Nikon, Why???
Mar 9, 2007 at 4:45 PM Post #16 of 26
Hey guys,

Could you recommend one or two cameras that are the best bang for buck (maybe in the $100-$200 range if that is possible). I don't do any serious photography. Just need something to take pics here and there.

Thanks
icon10.gif

Mar 9, 2007 at 4:46 PM Post #17 of 26
I went with Nikon because I wanted to have the ability to use their older non AF lenses. They are pretty cheap used (50mm 1.8 $50, 28mm 2.8 $110) but have excellent image and built quality. I was just getting into photography, and I wanted to force myself into learning to use a hand held light meter. I also wanted to learn the effects of various f-stops etc. Since I do mostly landscapes, speed is not really as big an issue as sports or wildlife. I currently stick to the D70 kit lens now for the most part though for convenience.

Additionally, I preferred the way the D70 body felt compared to the rebel xt. For me, the bigger grip felt better. This is why I don't really like the D50 body that much and really like the 10-D body and the D2x body. I just can't afford em :p

Mar 9, 2007 at 5:31 PM Post #18 of 26
I went with a Canon Rebel XT since I got the package with the kit lense for $350. It was used, but only had <200 pictures taken with it prior. =T I wanted a Nikon, but price is definitely a factor.

Mar 9, 2007 at 6:17 PM Post #19 of 26
It also depends on what models you are comparing. For me the list from "bad" to "good" would be as following starting with the "bad":

Nikon D40 incl. 18-55
Nikon D50 incl. 18-55
Canon 400d incl. 18-55
Nikon D80 incl. 18-70
Canon 30d
Nikon D200
Canon 5d

This list comes from comparing bodies with the standard lenses when they have one. D40 stands at the bottom for me because you have to buy AF-S lenses for them and not the AF normal ones because the AF-motor is no longer in the body itself. Wich means you cannot buy lenses from other brands such as Tamron (yet) for them. I find that a big disadvantage because Tamron makes beautiful lenses wich are a hell lot cheaper than the better ones from Nikon (and sometimes even just as good as the nikon-ones)
And it's a matter of taste. What kinda body you like to handle, menustructure and stuff. And ofcourse what you can spend.

Mar 9, 2007 at 6:21 PM Post #20 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like the Canon sensor and Nikkor lenses.

This is pretty much my assessment too. Loyalty would have me stick with Canon, but unless they can come up with a body that matches or beats the D200 by the time I'm ready to buy, it looks like I'll be defecting.

Mar 9, 2007 at 6:26 PM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is pretty much my assessment too. Loyalty would have me stick with Canon, but unless they can come up with a body that matches or beats the D200 by the time I'm ready to buy, it looks like I'll be defecting.

The 5D is a wonderful body, and check out the 1Ds MK III. Don't see any Nikon body that can beat that.

I have a friend who has a Nikon D2H or X ...can't remember, and he's switching to Canon simply because there are gaps in the Nikon Lens range that he needs, plus the low light performance of the CAnon bodies are much better than Nikon's.

Mar 9, 2007 at 6:57 PM Post #22 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Originally Posted by blessingx
I like the Canon sensor and Nikkor lenses.

That's why I defected to the D70. Canon just did not have a kit lens that was comparable to the Nikon one. And even the upgrade path for me was less appealing in Canon, Canon did not have a equivalent of the excellent 18-200VR either.

To me, pick the lens system you want and then the body. Bodies come and go, every year they make better and better bodies and sensors, but a good lens is something that stays with you.

Mar 9, 2007 at 8:39 PM Post #23 of 26
Quote:

The 5D is a wonderful body

I think Rockwell had it right when he said that the 5D is one of the greatest bodies out there if you can afford to use a tripod and meter and such to get each shot perfect. If you're doing anything remotely involving action the D200'll kick its butt in terms of being able to access controls quickly, assessing color balance and dynamic range (Canon's bodies have no such thing as auto contrast, which is a shame), and such.

Mar 9, 2007 at 9:47 PM Post #24 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by raymondlin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 5D is a wonderful body, and check out the 1Ds MK III. Don't see any Nikon body that can beat that.

I have a friend who has a Nikon D2H or X ...can't remember, and he's switching to Canon simply because there are gaps in the Nikon Lens range that he needs, plus the low light performance of the CAnon bodies are much better than Nikon's.

For the price, the D200 kills any Canon from the 20D down, I'm afraid. It's actually a big toss up, but the rubberized body on the 200D is an immense feature for me, so the 30D loses. Now, by the time I'm ready to buy, however... I DO hope Canon can come up with a feature set to compete without having to drop a couple extra thoudand dollars more.

Mar 9, 2007 at 10:01 PM Post #25 of 26
You have a point, you got to get a body that is comfortable in your hand. To me Canon always feels right[/b]. I tried that Nikon D2H body, and everything just seems backwards for me. When I got the 30D I literally picked it up and use it straight away, coming from a Canon Film SLR and a Canon P&S everything feels right at home. When I tried that Nikon, I didn't know where to put my fingers. No idea where the buttons for the settings were and even changing the lens felt weird (it was anti-clockwise).

It's hard to compare bodies between Canon and Nikon as they kinda price slightly off each other, one is always $100 more or less than the other. At the end of the day i will always be a Canon fan, if anything, I can use it without a manual, I just feel at home with it.

Mar 9, 2007 at 10:29 PM Post #26 of 26
I have an older Nikon 995 camera. One day at work, I stashed it in my hoodie pocket (the big one in the front), as I was climbing the scaffolding all the way upto the roof, i kept thinking, man i'll be pissed if this thing falls out.
Just as I got to the top, I rubbed up against the scaffolding with the camera that was sticking out partially out of the pocket. That pulled it out, and down went the camera.
That was the first time in my life that I actually felt that feeling ppl talk about, when you heart feels like it drops under you.
The camera fell downwards about good 25 - 30 feet, and right onto a boulder/landscape decoration!!
mad.gif

I got down, and open the flimsy camera case, found the trigger corner of the camera busted, it had a thumb-sized whole in it. I could see some of the insides.
I fipped the switch, and guess what, the camera still came on! Everything worked fine. Even the 270° turning feature, where one half of the camera turns around, still worked!!
That camera was invincible.. only now, about a year later, some of the functions are starting to fail.

Nikon makes some strong cameras.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back