D-E955 and new shock protection
Mar 7, 2002 at 5:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Kubernetes

100+ Head-Fier
I just bought my wife Sony's new D-E955 and noticed that it has two G-protection settings. Unfortunately the manual is in Japanese so I have no idea what the difference is. Anyone have any info on this?

Mar 7, 2002 at 10:51 PM Post #2 of 11
1 should be "off" (lossless)
2 should be on (looooooooooooooooooooossy)
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 8, 2002 at 6:20 AM Post #4 of 11
I personally think that its way more than 10 seconds (having both the EJ825 and EJ1000) in position 1, morelike 60 seconds uncompressed... I've tried to make the EJ825 (I'm more careful with the EJ1000) skip by shaking it and even in position 1 my arm gave out before the music did...

and, if you think about memory prices - 1 minutes worth of uncompressed music would fit into 8mb (150kb per second), what'd that cost Sony to put into the players when you can buy a 512mb stick of ram for less than £80?

Position 2 on the other hand, is probably compressed, and if you have a ratio of 2-1 that'll be 2 minutes, 3-1 3 minutes, so on and so forth... either way position 2 will sound worse than 1.

So, I don't have facts to back this up, but I do have personal experience on my side
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 8, 2002 at 11:07 AM Post #5 of 11
Once.

Just one time ever did my d-ej925 skip on me, and that was after having rollerskated on a very dented road for about 2 minutes.. I always keep it in G-1 and I've had it for ½ year.

Mar 8, 2002 at 5:23 PM Post #6 of 11
If you really want to know how many seconds of buffer you have, try the refrigerator-door-stop-the-CD test which was done in another thread to test the anti-skip of the EJ-725 and EJ-915. If you want to try this, do this at your own risk of eye/finger trauma or broken pcdp.

1) Open the pcdp door and insert the CD
2) Find the refrigerator door switch and hold it down, probably with a toothpick or stick.
3) Hit the play button and play for over a minute or two. Be careful of the laser and look away, preferably with the pcdp door covering most of the CD. You will feel a lot of wind.
4) stop the cd slowly by applying gentle pressure on the top. The pcdp should start making strange noises as the laser head scans back and forth.
5) Measure the amount of time between when you started to stop the CD player and the time the music stops playing. This will give you an estimate how long the buffer is.

Certain models are really good with just the 10 second buffer. For example, the EJ-725 is much better with recovery than the EJ-915 is. I cannot make the EJ-725 skip, but I can make the EJ-915 skip easily. It is hard to measure how long the buffer by shaking it really hard because different models apparently have different recovery techniques.

Mar 8, 2002 at 8:32 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Flasken
Once.

Just one time ever did my d-ej925 skip on me, and that was after having rollerskated on a very dented road for about 2 minutes.. I always keep it in G-1 and I've had it for ½ year.

I agree Flasken I have never used no2 setting myself and skipping has never been a problem[not that I rollerskate mind]

Setmenu
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 9, 2002 at 3:36 AM Post #8 of 11
Another way you can test how "true" the antishock is, is to just tap the lid solidly with your finger for however many seconds the manual states the player can provide antishock. I've discovered that shaking till your arm falls off and jumping around like a monkey on steroids doesn't exactly make even 10 second players skip, much less the 40 second ones, but start tapping on that lid and the player will skip in no time. Using this method on my MD recorders/players, I get most of them to skip by the 40th tap or so, which is about how long most MD player's antiskip works for, 40 seconds. If it skips before, than you got ripped off.
very_evil_smiley.gif
If it skips well after or just doesn't seem to be skipping, you're not tapping hard enough. Try punching the player instead.
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 9, 2002 at 9:12 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Vertigo-1
Another way you can test how "true" the antishock is, is to just tap the lid solidly with your finger for however many seconds the manual states the player can provide antishock. I've discovered that shaking till your arm falls off and jumping around like a monkey on steroids doesn't exactly make even 10 second players skip, much less the 40 second ones, but start tapping on that lid and the player will skip in no time. Using this method on my MD recorders/players, I get most of them to skip by the 40th tap or so, which is about how long most MD player's antiskip works for, 40 seconds. If it skips before, than you got ripped off.
very_evil_smiley.gif
If it skips well after or just doesn't seem to be skipping, you're not tapping hard enough. Try punching the player instead.
evil_smiley.gif

OW !!!!
biggrin.gif

Mar 9, 2002 at 9:36 AM Post #10 of 11
Yeah, that works all right, but I'm afraid of beating up my new player with this test. I'd rather just road test my Sony D-EJ725 and and I'd just start complaining to Sony if it skips more than I think it should
biggrin.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back