D&D
Aug 5, 2004 at 2:17 AM Post #2 of 23
I'm still trying to finish Baldur's Gate II, if that counts
evil_smiley.gif

Does anybody play the pencil and paper version any more? I would think that Neverwinter Nights and the MMORPG are taking over, in addition to MUDS and such.

Face to face games are much more fun though... I find scripted computer RPGs, especially D&D to be super dull after all these years. A magic missile is a magic missile, and you can only take beating up so many trolls, spiders, and goblins
blink.gif

Aug 5, 2004 at 7:25 AM Post #3 of 23
I play the "pencil and paper" version, aka the real thing. I enjoy Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights the computer versions, but they are nothing like the actual game except they use the same rule set.

You really can't compare the two. No matter how well programmed the game is, it is still limited by the programming. When playing with jsut the books and your friends, you are free to let your immagination run wild.

Come on, I'm sure someone around here has some experience with Dungeons and Dragons?

Aug 5, 2004 at 2:24 PM Post #4 of 23
I play 3rd edition D&D once every couple of weeks... its a pretty informal game, we play it in more of a White Wolf Roleplaying style... less ROLL playing and more ROLE playing
biggrin.gif

We still play some world of darkness as well... but hardly even use the books for that any more...

My favourite 3rd edition D&D publishers would have to be green ronin and monte cook, with necromancer games and paradigm concepts coming in as close seconds.

We tend to play relatively high powered games... usually making it to the outer planes early on and becoming chummy with the gods after a while... we have one game that is beginning to span dimensions and is getting a little weird... still fun though
wink.gif

Aug 5, 2004 at 2:32 PM Post #5 of 23
I never tried "real" PnP. I'm playing a lot (too much) on a permanent neverwinter server called Thain though. A good player base and some great DM.

Aug 5, 2004 at 6:48 PM Post #6 of 23
D&D kept me out of quite a bit of trouble in high school -- my friends and I spent as many weekends with dice in the basement as we could. We still play when we can, but it's kind of difficult as we live in two or three different states now. It's really an excellent outlet for creative kids who want to actually make something, building up a homebrew campaign world and really writing interactive stories. I have an arctic campaign world that I'm just starting up again after a long downtime, and our group also has a high-level Birthright campaign going (all 3E).

I like MUDs (actually run one with a friend), but never got into graphical MMORPGs. My hope is that people play things like NWN and decide to explore the paper and pencil side of it too, since it really is much more interesting and rewarding.

Aug 5, 2004 at 7:00 PM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Megaptera
I like MUDs (actually run one with a friend), but never got into graphical MMORPGs. My hope is that people play things like NWN and decide to explore the paper and pencil side of it too, since it really is much more interesting and rewarding.

I got hardcore addicted to MUDs in highschool... never again
eek.gif

Aug 5, 2004 at 7:55 PM Post #8 of 23
Back in the day some friends and I used to play quite a bit of DnD, though we were always in 2nd edition. We also played a bit of 3rd edition, but I despise 3.5 as the money making junk it is.

I was always pretty partial to elven characters. I especially enjoyed magic user types, and on occasion played a mean archer. Those were good times. We tried to get something going for this summer, but not too many people really have time to play.

Aug 5, 2004 at 8:45 PM Post #9 of 23
Wait, someone with a handle containing "hobbit" is/was an RPG player? Go figure.
wink.gif

Yeah, back in the day (15-20 years ago now) we played some D&D, and also did other games like Traveller and Top Secret and V&V and the game that finally stuck for a long time was Champions. Somehow I almost always got roped into being GM....

Aug 5, 2004 at 9:38 PM Post #11 of 23
i have a huge stash of vintage d&d books and modules from the 80's. i'm considering selling it on ebay.

Aug 5, 2004 at 11:16 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by oneeyedhobbit
Back in the day some friends and I used to play quite a bit of DnD, though we were always in 2nd edition. We also played a bit of 3rd edition, but I despise 3.5 as the money making junk it is.

I agree with you a bit here... they should have gotten it right with 3rd edition or just released a supplement or something... but I must say that the 3rd party publishers are turning 3rd edition/3.5 edition into a very nice system
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 6, 2004 at 6:01 AM Post #14 of 23
Yeah, I find D&D a great alternative to most mind-melting media (music excluded of course!). Its not only a fun game, but an entertaining social event. It's much more human compared to video games or the like, which I have nothing against.

I'm not sure about the whole 3.5 edition fiasco. My group and I got all of the 3rd, and didn't feel like shelling out for slightly altered rules. From what I've seen they are helpful revisions, but it didn't constitute an entire replublication.

If you are interested, the entire contents of 3.5 have been officially released (minus character creation), for all to use over the internet. I used ot know a site which had all the information layed out nicely, but I can't think of it. Search around for the online versions and you'll find the sites.

Aug 6, 2004 at 8:04 AM Post #15 of 23
My friends and I started playing Magic cards and then played AD&D a bit. It was actually a lot of fun, but I don't think we were able to get immersed in it fully. I remember playing at the local comic store - I think it was more of a social thing. I think I might have to go find a group one of these days

I just watched a movie recently (Good Grief, a movie I only got because a favorite author of mine was in it) where these roleplaying kids go on a real quest for some hidden treasure and after all the group dynamics and breakup the one dude finds that it's nothing but a brass piece of garbage in an old man's house - check it out =p. And wasn't Tom Hanks in a movie once where roleplaying took over his life? I don't know, that's what my dad used to tell me...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back