D-CJ01 vs. SlimX again
Aug 18, 2002 at 3:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

elnero

Headphoneus Supremus
Ok, More questions from me. Sorry to bring up dead subjects but I just want to clarify a few things and maybe get some advice.

I just about ordered a SlimX but then decided I wanted to make sure on a couple of things about the D-CJ01 before I made a final decision.

Overall I'm looking for a player that has exceptional sound quality. I plan on getting a headphone amp and I will be using mainly CD's in it but want the versatility of using mp3's when I want to.

I hear alot about ID3 tags, I don't tend to use these much. I organize all my music in folders by band and by album. (Yes my wife thinks I'm a bit anal as well). Will both these players search through my folders by just using what's in the title of the file not what's in the ID3 tag?

To clarify the D-CJ01 does not have firmware upgrades, correct? To tell you the truth though, as another person pointed out, the firmware upgrades for the SlimX so far have only been bug fixes whereas the Sony works right out of the box. The only new feature that I'd be interested in at this point is ogg support.

What about G Protection on the Sony, can it be turned off so there is no compression? This would get even better sound quality if it were possible would it not?

I'm not so sure on the remote, I've never used one on a portable and it seems like it might be a bit of a pain and easy to lose. If you do lose the SlimX's remote your pretty much left high and dry as well.

The hiss thing with the SlimX really bothers me, not having heard it I don't know if it will bother me or not. I can't just buy one to test it either I have to order it online so returning it would be a real pain. Which leads to another concern, if anything ever does go wrong with it I have nowhere to take it here, at least if I bought a Sony online I could take it somewhere locally for service or to be sent out if service was ever needed.

Both are about the same price, the SlimX comes with more "stuff", has more features and may be more future proof with firmware upgrades. The Sony on the other hand is the safer bet with better sound quality, less "stuff" which may or may not be a good thing. I'm stumped, I just don't know what to do...

Again, thank you all for any help,

Phil

Aug 18, 2002 at 2:32 PM Post #3 of 16
I don't usually notice the hiss. One thing thta ocncerns me though is built quality. I can't use the "line out" anymore because of an intermitent contact. Tech support won't get back to me.

Aug 19, 2002 at 2:29 AM Post #4 of 16
The hiss is not noticable with the music playing. If you plan on listening to classical music, then it *may* bother you.

Bottom line for me (after trying both out for awhile) is:
SlimX - great for navigating lots of files, playing with lots of features, upgrading for the future.
Sony - better (slightly) sound quality, sturdier build, long battery life.

The navigation things does go slow with the D-CJ01. I think it should come down to how you plan on listening to your music. Do you jump around quite a bit? Like to scroll through to see what you have on the disc? If so, then go with the SlimX. If you want top sound for both CDs and MP3s, better battery life then go with the sony.
As far as your questions;
The G shock has two settings. I believe (i think I read it somewhere) the first setting is NOT compressed.

Folder navigation. It'll list the folders however you labeled them, not based on the ID3 tag. But it'll show it alpha. The songs inside the folders, and the root folder, will also be listed alpha.

For me, with a headphone amp, I found having the remote with the SlimX really too uch - I had wires everywhere! I fly quite a bit, and found it cumbersome to deal with the remote, my headphones, and the amp all in a small coach seat. Another thing I noticed with my SlimX, with the external amp, if I have it too close to the player, I can hear the cd engine reving up through my headphones (ER4P). I am awaiting an adapter cable for the Etys - perhaps I'll hear less of that...

I am going with the D-CJ01 for now and returing the SlimX. There isn't a "perfect" player right now. I had just as hard of a time deciding between the two as well. Best of luck.

Aug 20, 2002 at 6:41 PM Post #5 of 16
Hello all,

My first post. Find these forums very informative, interesting, complete.

I've been trying to decide between the SlimX and the D-CJ01.

I've been using PCDPs for a long time, with earbuds of various sorts. I've owned Ety ER-4S for about 3 years, but have only recently discovered the joys and importance of headphone amps. Just bought TAH--makes all the difference in the world with the ER-4S--I can hear the music now. Also learned via these forums (fora) what a difference the LINE OUT jack makes over the headphone jack. Thanks to all of you for putting me on the right track.

From what I can gather, the D-CJ01 does not have line out, only headphone output (reading specs on SonyStyle site). The SlimX has both from what I can tell. On my current PCDP, D-EJ915, and on my main MD portable, MDZ-R900, the line out definitely provides better quality sound. This is with the TAH.

Quote:

SlimX - great for navigating lots of files, playing with lots of features, upgrading for the future.
Sony - better (slightly) sound quality, sturdier build, long battery life.

That said, does it make any (noticable) difference that the D-CJ01 lacks line out output?

I've owned several Sony PCDPs. All have worked well. Sony quality (with these products) is unquestionable, and if you purchase at a SonyStyle store, their customer service policy re: problems is pretty good. I'm concerned about what I read about iRivers customer service and repair policy.

I appreciate any help in sorting through these questions and enabling me to make the best choice: (1) sound quality, (2) build quality/reliability.

Thanks

Aug 20, 2002 at 8:08 PM Post #7 of 16
Thanks for that information. That's what it will be then, the D-CJ01.

The SlimX has a bunch of bells and whistles, but I'd hardly use them. Just want good no foolin' around sound.

Aug 20, 2002 at 8:35 PM Post #8 of 16
It is a very tough choice choosing between the two. I'd say in terms of features/nice things to have/etc the two players are neck and neck - even if you weight sound quality (which I do).

I chose the D-CJ01 - after I had a SlimX to play with. But I think the SlimX would be an equally valid option if you gravitate towards features slightly over ultimate sound quality (and the difference is ultimately slight).

In the end the excessive geekiness of the SlimX remote won me over to the RM-MC11EL remote of the D-CJ01.

Aug 21, 2002 at 12:45 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

won me over to the RM-MC11EL remote of the D-CJ01

That's the same remote the Sony MD recorder/players use, and it's very nice.

The more features things offer, the more complicated they become to use. I know the most often used features well--to use the others, I always find I need to refer to the manual, which is a nuisance, so most of the bells and whistles go unused.

Costco has the SlimX and has a liberal return policy, so I can get it and check it out. SonyStyle has decent return policy as well. But, I'm pretty certain that I'll get the D-CJ01.

Thanks for the information.

Aug 23, 2002 at 2:26 AM Post #10 of 16
HI,
I owned the j01 for a short period of time. The only reason I sold it was money. To my ear, cj01 resemble the sound quality of Sony D-777. It has warm delicated sound, even though the sound quality on cj01 is less refined than the 777's, still, I found this discman to be superior sounding than the top of the line Ej-1000 in the headphone out department. I would also like to address that the dc-j01 has a dedicated line out. The line out sound fine, but lack the clarity of the EJ-1000. I really like it designs. I don't think you will be disappointed with D-Cj01 features. It sound good, and the features are great. I never had a chance to try out the slimx, so I'll leave that to others.

Purk

Aug 26, 2002 at 2:01 AM Post #11 of 16
I won the SP-250 and am highly considering shedding it and replacing it with a Sony. One thing that worries me - does the D-CJ01 have a backlight? I haven't found any mention of one.

Aug 26, 2002 at 3:33 AM Post #12 of 16
The sony does NOT have a back light. The US version does not come with a remote (although the standard Sony one will work). I believe the remote will have a back light, but have not seen it myself.

Aug 29, 2002 at 8:23 PM Post #14 of 16
The CJ01 isn't backlit. The RM-MC11EL remote that's shipped as standard in European and Asian models does have a backlight.

Sep 1, 2002 at 1:27 PM Post #15 of 16
Something else for you to consider--the Sony has problems playing VBR files. There would be dropouts in the song. You can reduce the effect by setting the upper bitrate limit to 256kbps or less (I found 1 glitch in about 90 songs in the CDR of VBR mp3s that I made with 256kbps ceiling) but I do not know how often there will still be glitches for you, and whether it's worth it.

End of the line: the D-CJ01 may offer better sound quality, but only if you feed it the right files.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back