D-CJ01 still a good buy?
May 11, 2004 at 8:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

r2d2

New Head-Fier
The "old" D-CJ01 is being sold at half price.
I´ve seen very diverging reports of its sound quality.
I listen to classical music only, mostly piano, using
Sony MDR-E848 and Ety ER4P. CD-R only.
Now all I'm interested in is sound quality --
clear, open sound, good sound stage.
Perhaps one of the newer players, like D-NE700 at
about the same price would be a better deal?

May 11, 2004 at 11:45 PM Post #2 of 11
I don't think it's a very good player at all. I have one, and it sounds awfully muddy and murky in comparison to my Dell DJ and laptop. If you are really interested in it, I suggest grabbing one off ebay because I see those go for less than $30 sometimes.

May 12, 2004 at 2:37 AM Post #3 of 11
I have the D-CJ01. I have a great deal more affection for my relatively new D-NE300 for every category of features and performance. I'd suggest you go for the D-NE700, as you suggest, or really anything from the D-NE300 up in the new Sony series of portables.
cool.gif

By the way, welcome to head-fi.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 12, 2004 at 2:49 AM Post #4 of 11
And don't confuse the newest 2004-model D-NE### and D-NF### series of ATRAC3 CD players with last year's crappier 2003-model counterparts.

May 13, 2004 at 8:05 AM Post #8 of 11
Are you sure theD-NE700 hasn't got a line out?
On the Dutch Sony site it says it has:

specs D-NE700
Line out = lijnuitgang

I know this is the the European model so there can be differences but still...

May 13, 2004 at 3:37 PM Post #10 of 11
Actually, none of the new Sonys have a separate line out. The "line out" in the higher-end new Sonys is actually a pseudo line out that's integrated with the headphone jack -- and you cannot use any remote control at all in "line out" mode.

May 13, 2004 at 5:00 PM Post #11 of 11
You can... but you have to plug the amp into the remote. Sound quality loss? Minimal, if any.

If you have something like a Supermicro which you can clip to something near where you have your remote plugged, it's no big deal. With a traditional quite big non-pocket amp, it's more problemmatic... you'll have to run a cable down the same route as the remote cable.

I don't think it's the first time I've said that you should have something before you comment authoritatively, is it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back