D-777 on Ebay
Sep 19, 2002 at 7:52 PM Post #2 of 19
The minimum bid price is 150 dollars everyone!!! Let's see if this will go above 250 dollars.

Purk

Sep 19, 2002 at 8:32 PM Post #4 of 19
Maybe the winning bidder decided not to pay for the item.
biggrin.gif
I won't be surprised though. 200 dollars or less is an acceptable deal for this wonderful sounding discman.

Purk

Sep 19, 2002 at 8:32 PM Post #5 of 19
Whatever the deal is, I'm sure it will go for much more than what I would ever pay for a portable. A lot of people lose ALL common sense when it comes to audio. doug

Sep 20, 2002 at 12:03 AM Post #6 of 19
i think $150 is a fair price for a new d777. i know, i've owned one for years. the headphone out is superior to most of the stuff out there now. almost as good as having a cha47 external amp.

Sep 20, 2002 at 12:58 AM Post #7 of 19
redshifter,
Quote:

i think $150 is a fair price for a new d777. i know, i've owned one for years. the headphone out is superior to most of the stuff out there now. almost as good as having a cha47 external amp.

I totally agree!! Especially for a real Portable Discman (has Anti-shock protection).

Sep 20, 2002 at 1:19 AM Post #8 of 19
If sound is your number one concern there are much better ways to go. One of my numerous setups consists of a Cha-47 and a Sony 406ck (or for that matter a D25-s). This sounds wonderfull and the setup is less than 150. I think 'bragging rights' has everything to do with it, and people will pay silly prices for that. doug

Sep 20, 2002 at 3:33 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

If sound is your number one concern there are much better ways to go. One of my numerous setups consists of a Cha-47 and a Sony 406ck (or for that matter a D25-s). This sounds wonderfull and the setup is less than 150. I think 'bragging rights' has everything to do with it, and people will pay silly prices for that. doug

What I meant to say was a "true portable Discman" The one without a headphone amp.....

Sep 20, 2002 at 4:27 AM Post #10 of 19
doug,
have you actually heard a d777->cha47? i have. i'm listening to it right now. i would match it against any other portable line out. plus unlike the d25s i can put the d777 in a caselogic wallet with the cha47 and take it with me. so we have a great headphone out, a great line out, and it will not skip if you move it. can you say the same about your 25s? no, you can't. and no, $150 for it isn't "silly". $250, yes that is silly for a d777, but $150 is reasonable. i got mine new in 1997 for $120, and it is still going strong.

Sep 20, 2002 at 5:00 AM Post #11 of 19
Dkm24,
I have to second redshifter here. You have to try the d-777 to believe it. I also agree that 150 dollars for a fully functional D-777 is a good deal and anything beyound 200 dollars is insane. 200 dollars and up is the territory of Sony D-555, D-515, and D-303.

Purk

Sep 20, 2002 at 8:39 PM Post #12 of 19
Don't get me wrong, I have paid more for equipment than I should have. I also don't think 150 is all that bad for a top flite pcdp but I think that should be about it. When you get up that high there are better alternatives. That is why I think prices like 300 for a 777 is more about bragging rights than finding better sound. I have heard the 777 and I own a 303 and an Optimus 3400. I have a Jon amp as well. When judging these electronics one has to figure out if the sound is better or just different. Bass is pretty easy but the rest is more difficult. I own a 406ck that one can find on e-bay for 15 or 20 dollars. That pcdp can keep up with any of the older ones. It was not the top of the line with a metal case nor any bells and whistles other than a car adapter. It is not a sought after pcdp but I have compared it with the 303 and there is not a big difference. Actually with a Jon amp it kicks some serious tail (that setup is easily under 150). If I was to give advice to anybody, I would get a Sony that is about 5 years old (Not a sought after model). One that has a line out. Get an (Jon) amp, and some nice headphones, and for $250 you are good to go. I think it is very misleading to say that certain models sound better than the rest. There are bargain Sonys out there that sound wonderfull. You don't have to have a 303, 555 or a 777 to get great sound. I know I have a couple of legends. doug

Sep 20, 2002 at 9:33 PM Post #13 of 19
all i can say is i have two other sony discman (one the d33 and the other newer model about 5 years old) with line outs, and the d777 just smokes them in terms of headphone, line out and build quality. the sad fact is with sony, you usually get what you pay for, and there are rarely bargains to be had. i couldn't care less about "bragging rights", i'm too focused on enjoying the music. however i'm glad you enjoy the sound of your cheap sony, the money you saved can be put toward buying music, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Sep 21, 2002 at 1:35 PM Post #15 of 19
...Then I'll just step up with the E905...

A slightly brighter sounding headphone output than the likes of the D303 (which to me, although sounding great, did sound a shade dark)...

What people here have to remember, most mortal ebay users don't own headphone amps and the like, and in that instance, the D777 (of which i've had one for 7 years) will totally blow them away... showing them just what a Discman CAN do...

I paid full retail price for my D777 (approx $450) and I think its worth every penny... even against my superior E905 which I got for only a third of that...

$250 would be MY upper limit on a D777, just because I know how good they are
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back