Cypher Labs Theorem 720 DAC: A New Portable 24/192 USB/iDevice/Android DAC & Amp
Oct 31, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #77 of 186
That is very interesting because they use same DAC. Wonder if you could ask David to mod a -dB then because if you are going to external amp the -dB is cheaper, slimmer and for not too much loss in battery life

I would say the CLASdb is actually a bit cleaner and more neutral to my ears (even though just a tad but noticeable). I ab-ed them between CLASdb and Theorem (dac section) using 3 amp, i swap each amp to one and to another, i definitely noticed the gain difference. The Theorem has more gain at the line out. And also, the sound was warmer and fuller too (somewhat just a bit colored compared to CLASdb). For driving fullsize cans, i prefer to use Theorem as a DAC through its line-out, and i just use CLASdb for driving my IEMs (or lower impedance phones).

Oct 31, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #79 of 186
Last time as to compare between Theorem vs clasdb, i was using my kojo/picopower/glacier.
For me personally, The amp section of the Theorem it self is fine...is very good actually, even though it has a slight hiss with sensitive phone/iems. Power wise, is also capable driving my hd650/800 at high gain with more than half of the volume pot....though is not as powerful as my mk3plus or glacier. For driving my T1, it just happend that glacier is my fav amp to go with it...and pairing it with Theorem..i would say is my fav combo right now for my beyers (including for my dt1350)...

And for the Theorem it self....i find it has a very good synergy with my Fitear Parterre...and it is my fav iem setup at the moment.

Nov 1, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #80 of 186
Congrats David for your Theorem Special Edition in copper finishing

As Cyberlabs Fan Boy I have almost all your product from
Cyberlabs Class solo old
Cyberlabs Class dB 1,69 Vrms
Cyberlabs Class dB 2,00 Vrms
Cyberlabs Theorem 720 DAC

I wish to collect your special edition copper colour

I believe copper or brass improve the SQ from your a Theorem in excellent way

I love your products to pair with my desktop Amps
Your product are excellent for portable use and home sound system use

Bravo David

Nov 2, 2013 at 6:08 AM Post #82 of 186

Nice try haha

You don't know him, he probably has the most pinpoint ears in all head-fi. Sound differences between micro sd cards or batteries, all can be heard by Rudi. I try to do some tests as he does but so far no luck with my deformed ears
biggrin.gif

Nov 2, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #83 of 186
I got the Theorem and the Hifi M8 in and have them both burning in now. First impressions are that the M8 has more power but at a given volume level I think I actually prefer the Theorem instead, will post more in the coming days

Nov 2, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #84 of 186
I got the Theorem and the Hifi M8 in and have them both burning in now. First impressions are that the M8 has more power but at a given volume level I think I actually prefer the Theorem instead, will post more in the coming days
looking forward to it. Maybe post the theorem v hifim8 here

http://www.head-fi.org/t/688277/please-share-your-best-sq-dap-or-dac-amp-combo-for-i-device-and-android-as-source-for-desktop-set-up#post_9942539

Nov 2, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #85 of 186
Nice try haha

You don't know him, he probably has the most pinpoint ears in all head-fi. Sound differences between micro sd cards or batteries, all can be heard by Rudi. I try to do some tests as he does but so far no luck with my deformed ears :D

Hahaha :D
Thank you my ears are the same like yours not better not less
Everybody can hear the different SQ improvement with battery and sd card
Please try it again , I am sure you will notice the SQ different
IMO

Nov 3, 2013 at 12:11 AM Post #87 of 186
This is what I have found during my test between M8 (the model I have is one with RSA balance hp out) and the Theorem.

Using my HD800 with Alo Ref-8 cable, both set at high gain:
To get the same suitable volume level of my listening -- I need to have:

12 or 1 o'clock pot on Theorem
3 o'clock pot on M8
-- And same thing happened when I tried with my other IEMs and cans, seems Theorem has more gain at the same setting to M8. Not sure about other unit, but mine is like that.

Nov 3, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #90 of 186

Safari!

I had a nice long post all cued up and !!poof!! it went away. I'll be here for comment as I'm not re-writing that. Suffice it to say that I love the Theorem 720 DAC. Performance with medium-sensitivity headphones and low-sensitivity earphones is off the charts, besting even the ALO Rx MKIII for resolution and stereo imaging across the board. The DAC is near perfect, the interface is great and the ergonomics are pretty much spot on. 

I wrote a long review at ohm. 

Yes, there is quite a bit of background noise. I can hear it even from my Audio Technica ES10. The other problem is that at low volumes, balance is off and the volume pot's active travel range is extremely short, so getting proper volumes/balance for low-ohm earphones is difficult. But if all that is taken care of, 720 is quite the performer. It is, in fact, my new benchmark for a battery-powered amp. The fact that it sports a damn good DAC inside as well as what Jude kept coming back to, looooooooooooooong battery life, it's killer. 

I do hope that low volume balance can be fixed. Background noise is something that people can get used to, but low volume balance issues are troublesome especially for users of sensitive earphones. I wasn't comfortable with the volumes I had to listen to to achieve 100% balance between channels with the likes of the Sleek Audio SA7/CT7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back