Cypher Labs C6iem
Apr 29, 2015 at 9:26 PM Post #181 of 202
  yeah, and most from 1st massdrop doesnt defend the price tag still, and diss it on that group drop

I'm waiting on a set of Earwerkz Supra 2 which, from reading reviews, sound like they're excellent and are very much worth the price of admission (which by the way as a custom, is less than the C6iem and even less as a universal).

Jul 1, 2015 at 8:46 AM Post #183 of 202
I am seriously looking into these as an alternative to the A&K/JH Angies (while they sort out the QC issues) and was hoping to see if any others have found similar cables to the Moon Audio Silver Dragons that help with the treble? Has anyone tried a hybrid (Ag/CU) such as the Double Helix and Norne Audio offerings?

I really like the reviews I've read except for the treble roll-off. This will be my travel pair for the rest of the year. Plan to re-look into the Angies in 2016...

Aug 15, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #184 of 202
Yes, this seems to be the general consensus.  There is a group of us that are looking to tune the CL's to try and make them a bit more linear - take out the mid-base bloom and add a little sparkle on the top. Silver seems the right choice for doing that, my Silver Dragons should be here next week and I look forward to comparing and posting my findings.

I'm more than a little disappointed in the ONE review we all got to see before the Massdrop.  I feel it was pretty misleading - honestly, the title of the article is 'Home run".  I don't blame him tho - I knew buying a new product with limited feedback was risky, but the sonic signature of the CL's is pretty easy to assess.  EVERYONE that has tried them has come to the same conclusion, but there really was no mention of it in the "glowing" review online.  One can't help but wonder if he was some sort of stooge.  We all know that happens in the high-end audio arena - one review can really make or break the introduction of a new product so getting a "friendly" on board from the start is key.  

Anyhow, what is done is done.  They are not bad, just not $600 IEM's IMHO. $400?  Well, fit, finish, look - that all plays a part.  Not sure, knowing what I know now, that I'd buy them again. Will really depend on what the silver cable does.  I CERTAINLY wasn't expecting to have to drop another $200 on cables to get them so sound good, that is for sure. And even that is not a sure thing! 

You are correct the review was misleading ! My eyes kept going back to the part about Mike ? Honestly the dude he described [Mike] was so infatuated sounding I thought the C6 was end game . I'm old enough to know better but for 400 these are keepers just not end game maybe [gulp] there isn't an end game ! So someday I'll be in sonic bliss while livin in a van down by the river !

Time to break the silence and start the #fightback. Life is rarely black and white. This situation is no different.

I purchased these on a whim with zero expectations. Why would it take the place of any headphone in my collection. Without demoing either, a bad habit i thought i had stopped doing. I have emailed David before for past purchasing discussion and the communication was prompt, honest and polite. So it must have left a lasting impression.

On first plugging into a smartphone it was decidedly average. Bass boost, so-so in the rest of the frequency range. The RHA T20 are a more rounded product - and cheaper too (see my T20 review). At this point i was minded to sell them to go towards my first ciem adventure.

Then i plugged them into the Chord Hugo. Switched in the Hugo TT. Whoa. These earphones respond to the quality of input big time. The wider soundstage and improved separation draws out the midrange and treble from hiding (though still will not get the extra extension and sparkle of top tier hitters). The dynamics are much increased. This is no longer a one-note earphone.

My suspicion based on this experiment is that pairing these with a smartphone or budget player may be a flat underwhelming experience. Introduce a quality source and we are re-evaluating those first impressions.

Once again a shout-out to shigzeo as ever for his thoughtful contributions

Aug 15, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #185 of 202
I agree with the fact that they do not respond well to poor sources. I am running the C6 through my 100ii and ALO Conti v3 and it is wonderful sound. I also use my AK Jr and very nice indeed. I read somewhere that the highs were a little recessed but can't determine that from what I am hearing, maybe yes, maybe no. On a whim, I contacted Trevor at Norne and I am going to try the new silver Theriums with this to see how it'll react. Very excited to see if it changes much. Excited even if it doesn't, not crazy about the stock cable. Not enough give to it...I love Norne's cables.

Aug 19, 2015 at 7:20 AM Post #186 of 202
guys http://www.head-fi.org/t/778239/cypher-labs-sustain84-desktop-vacuum-tube-headphone-amplifier

Sep 19, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #187 of 202
I have had the C6 for a couple months and struggled with the cable. Just not comfortable. There was some treble roll off but couldn't really put my finger on what it was that was missing. They sounded great nonetheless.

I just got a new cable from Trevor at Norne, what a major difference these new Theriums make, pure silver really brings out the treble and opens up the soundstage dramatically. They are also super comfortable, can wear them for hours and they disappear. Now I know what I was missing. Turned a decent IEM to an outstanding one.

Nov 4, 2015 at 7:03 AM Post #188 of 202
it seems the second version has already been released.

http://www.cypherlabs.com/product/c6iem-balanced-armature-earphones/

I emailed David and heard he changed the crossover network and installed a new driver for highs.

it produces highs way past the what we can hear. its frequency range is now 20Hz ~ 100kHz
eek.gif
(it was 20Hz-18kHz before)

and the new driver makes its sound stage much bigger than that of the previous version.

I liked my old version pretty much but always felt a little lack of clarity in high register.

I'm very intrigued by this second rendition.

my old C6 is weeping by me now...:;

Nov 4, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #189 of 202
it seems the second version has already been released.

http://www.cypherlabs.com/product/c6iem-balanced-armature-earphones/

I emailed David and heard he changed the crossover network and installed a new driver for highs.

it produces highs way past the what we can hear. its frequency range is now 20Hz ~ 100kHz:eek: (it was 20Hz-18kHz before)

and the new driver makes its sound stage much bigger than that of the previous version.

I liked my old version pretty much but always felt a little lack of clarity in high register.

I'm very intrigued by this second rendition.

my old C6 is weeping by me now...:;

Oh wow!!! This is exciting news! So is the C6 a 3 Balanced Armature iem or does it have 4 now (with the introduction of a super tweeter Balanced armature)? I returned my C6 precisely because of the treble roll off. I did immensely enjoy the non fatiguing sound but ,to my ears, was had at the cost of detail. I hope that the C6 V2 retains that non fatiguing nature while bringing up the detail/soundstage quotient.

Nov 4, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #191 of 202
I believe it's still 3 drivers, just that one was changed/swapped to better emphasis the treble.  Fingers crossed that the v2 makes it on MassDrop at the same price as v1.

Absolutely! If it makes it to MassDrop I'm all in!

Dec 4, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #192 of 202
I just received my v2 today and really believe that the update accomplished what CypherLabs intended! Highs are clear but without sibilance. Very well balanced with the rest of the audio spectrum. Soundstage is also much more expansive than the original C6IEM. Imaging also seems to be more precise but I no longer have my original for side-by-side comparisons.

Appearance, packaging and accessories remain unchanged. I can say that they are quite receptive to tip-rolling as there is quite a difference between my Spiral Dots and SpinFits.

I am very pleased so far and expect these to stay around for quite awhile!

Dec 10, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #194 of 202
I just received my v2 today and really believe that the update accomplished what CypherLabs intended! Highs are clear but without sibilance. Very well balanced with the rest of the audio spectrum. Soundstage is also much more expansive than the original C6IEM. Imaging also seems to be more precise but I no longer have my original for side-by-side comparisons.

Appearance, packaging and accessories remain unchanged. I can say that they are quite receptive to tip-rolling as there is quite a difference between my Spiral Dots and SpinFits.

I am very pleased so far and expect these to stay around for quite awhile!

Awesome post.  I'm picking up my pair tonight at FedEx.  Can't wait to try them now after reading what you wrote.

--

Dec 10, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #195 of 202
Awesome post.  I'm picking up my pair tonight at FedEx.  Can't wait to try them now after reading what you wrote.

--

Looking forward to your impressions!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back