Cypher Labs C6iem
Feb 16, 2015 at 1:10 PM Post #136 of 202
Thought I'd post some thoughts since this thread seems to be a bit shy of them... In case anyone is looking for comparisons, that'd go in my full 'sub-$400 universal IEM' shootout :) As we know, the C6IEM just made it into that price bracket, lol..

Upon getting them, I immediately replaced the stock cable with a silver one, and took off the foamies and put in my JVC Spiral Dot tips. This is probably as "bright" as I can get them without EQ. The C6IEM is being driven from my usual set up: iPhone->CCK->Chord Hugo.

Anyway, on to the music. There's a deep and reasonably tall soundstage, although width is not remarkable. The notes are on the thick side; and overall presentation is more wet than dry. Speed and decay is pretty natural- not blazing fast, but not quite slow either. Both treble and bass rolloff are not the most drastic. The treble rolloff is nice and gentle, still a bit steeper than I'd like, but I could live with it. Anyway, not all IEMs are rolled off on top- some are actually peaky in the upper treble, so I guess this might be a tuning choice. On the other hand the kinder sub-bass rolloff is quite noteworthy- I find that many BA IEMs just seem unable to reach down low with enough extension or slam. The C6IEM actually does okay in the sub-bass, although its mid-bass punch is not the strongest.

The mids are a bit recessed, but remain quite clear and even. The upper mid-range has a dip as well, sacrificing some air and sparkle; OTOH the mid-treble seems to be slightly more level, though not by much.

Finally the biggest question mark- I'm just not sure how I feel about that bump in the upper-bass/lower-mids. It's huge. This makes the C6IEM sound very smooth and warm, which I can certainly live with, but the bump is a bit too pronounced, and skews the frequency response too much. Hmm.

Feb 17, 2015 at 12:47 AM Post #137 of 202
Got mine this morning!
Just like most people here have stated, they're really comfortable and the sound signature is geared towards the warm/dark side. My 1964V8 sounds more airy with more sparkle than the C6iem.
I like how the C6iem's mid-bass doesn't overpower the sub-bass, which was one of the gripes I had with my V8 (I kinda expected more out of quad bass drivers).
Overall, I'm quite happy with my purchase (even with the tanking AUD), and will probably use them more for music enjoyment rather than monitoring/critical listening.

Feb 17, 2015 at 3:22 AM Post #138 of 202
Got mine this morning!
Just like most people here have stated, they're really comfortable and the sound signature is geared towards the warm/dark side. My 1964V8 sounds more airy with more sparkle than the C6iem.
I like how the C6iem's mid-bass doesn't overpower the sub-bass, which was one of the gripes I had with my V8 (I kinda expected more out of quad bass drivers).
Overall, I'm quite happy with my purchase (even with the tanking AUD), and will probably use them more for music enjoyment rather than monitoring/critical listening.

Great! I was looking for another universal to complement my Noble 4s and this impression sounds just about right.

Feb 17, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #139 of 202
Finally got mine too, now the issue is finding the correct tips

Feb 17, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #140 of 202
Looks like all the international shipments arrived at about the same time :)

Feb 17, 2015 at 9:58 AM Post #141 of 202
i suppose from my magni modi, the c6iem indicates a vocal centric heavy mid bass IEM, the rest have to wait till i get familiar with it

Feb 18, 2015 at 5:00 AM Post #144 of 202
Not all
frown.gif

depends where you are, me from Malaysia and @jelt2359 i suppose from Singapore

Feb 19, 2015 at 3:32 AM Post #145 of 202
I cannot decide between getting silver cable or copper or mixtures of both

Feb 19, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #147 of 202
Copper is what it came with, no?  I've got silver coming and will review.  Go with the mixed so we get that covered!

But I do feel that the original stock cable is sounding worse than the one I bought from btg audioworks sunrise

anyways, anyone fully experimented and can recommend an either mixed cable or a pure silver of a specific brand?

Feb 21, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #148 of 202
I just received my massdrop C6iem. I think CL have done a great job with their debut IEM! Finish is superb. The fit is PERFECT for me with JVC spiral dot tips. They are the most comfortable uni BA IEMs I have ever owned (including Noble 4, Shure 846, JH Roxanne). The sound is almost there as a relaxed listening headphone. It is quite refined and enveloping but is quite bass heavy (which may or may not be a problem) and lacks just a little sparkle in the treble. For me it needs to bring the highs forward a bit more to cut through the lush bass. I am hoping that recabling silver might be enough to bring a bit of treble emphasis and balance out this otherwise great IEM.

All in all a great effort by CL.

Feb 22, 2015 at 6:31 AM Post #149 of 202
I just received my massdrop C6iem. I think CL have done a great job with their debut IEM! Finish is superb. The fit is PERFECT for me with JVC spiral dot tips. They are the most comfortable uni BA IEMs I have ever owned (including Noble 4, Shure 846, JH Roxanne). The sound is almost there as a relaxed listening headphone. It is quite refined and enveloping but is quite bass heavy (which may or may not be a problem) and lacks just a little sparkle in the treble. For me it needs to bring the highs forward a bit more to cut through the lush bass. I am hoping that recabling silver might be enough to bring a bit of treble emphasis and balance out this otherwise great IEM.

All in all a great effort by CL.

everybody has that same opinion generally,and so another cable is way to go

btw CL tweeted me new custom cables coming soon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back