Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Solo - Discussion and Impressions Thread
Mar 30, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #1,261 of 1,793
I got my solo R to mate with the ALO National and works perfect. Never experienced the first solo so with the R and National together, great sounds. The problems arose and are now gone when I got the pico power. Great amp by the way. The issues were:

-scratchy sound when turning the volume pot;
- at different gain settings, using iem, 70 ohm headphone, HD600, and the DT880 600 ohm, music cuts off after 9:00, bring it back below 9:00, music comes back
- on the iem, from 0 volume to 9, muffled sound, beyond 9... Theres music but mono and no bass. Just highs.

After coming back, the sound is nicely louder. Detail is alot better even on the National. Initially, I thought CL was doung a fix on my unit. They changed the innards and maintained the same chassis.

Again, as I have always mentioned, CL and Dave conducted the transition and exchange with the utmost professionalism and stood behind the problems in a swift manner. He got my R on saturday, and shipped it back monday.

Mar 30, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #1,264 of 1,793
I just put a bunch of different things together and blew my mind.  This sounds amazing.....synergy rules!

Wow! How would you describe the solo R and Pico power combo? Thanks.

Mar 30, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #1,265 of 1,793
I love the Pico Power, I think it is the best portable amp I have heard, and matches solo but.......like I said before, the Lisa lll is not really portable, it's huge.  I put it in my biggest coat pocket in that configuration today and used it portable. That was an old custom cable made by ALO years ago for the Lisa and originally had a LOD on the end.  I jimmy rigged it like that and it worked.  The cable was over 300. Yikes!  But back to the Lisa, it is very good for a home amp.  When paired with the power supply-low noise, it was $900. or $1000.   Really transportable or hone but its possible to take it portable if you want to push it.  Sound is amazing, don't think any portable can compare.

here is the website for the newer version which has a mini plug input also instead of only RCA input.  It is smaller, I heard it once but can't remember actually.  Don't think it is as robust but who knows.  It doesn't come with the low noise power supply.  I think it is more geared to a portable solution.  I would love to hear that one compared to the Pico Power.

http://triadaudio.net/order-now/

Mar 30, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #1,266 of 1,793
yes and when it fits oh so nicely! here is my iPod>CLAS>Lisa3>ZOv1>ASG-1.2s, I used to use the LisaIII, lol, longer case but just as nice! now I am in love with my MKII, so the L3 sits collecting dust

Mar 31, 2013 at 3:57 AM Post #1,267 of 1,793
Just got back my CL Solo -dB and all is sounding now perfect.
Good match also with the Continental V3. Very powerful amp by the way.
Solo Output voltage is 2Vrms, isn't it ?

Mar 31, 2013 at 4:11 AM Post #1,268 of 1,793
Quote:
Just got back my CL Solo -dB and all is sounding now perfect.
Good match also with the Continental V3. Very powerful amp by the way.
Solo Output voltage is 2Vrms, isn't it ?

Yes your new CL class - dB should have output voltage 2,0 Vrns now like my Class solo old version 

i have now my CL  class - dB in 1,69 Vrms for iems and sensitive cans ( before was 1,22 Vrms )

I  am waiting for the new CL class - dB with output voltage 2,0 Vrms like yours for driving 
my high impedance headphone like HD 800, T 1 and my orthos LCD 2 rev 3 and LCD 3 

Apr 1, 2013 at 5:01 AM Post #1,270 of 1,793
I'm planning to get the Solo-DB and Rx-MK3 very soon (but not at the same time) for my current IPhone4, Senn. Momentum and ATH M50. And I do have plan to get a HD650 or LCD2 in middle/long term for my home use.

I also have a Fiio E17 on hand (usb input ok but the "aux in" port has been loose/bad contacted and doesn't work with the Fiio L3, warranty expired and I don't like to spend time and money to send back for maintenance)

So few trivial questions for you guys:

1. If I get the Solo-DB first (for interim solution before I get the Rx-MK3), from the Solo-DB Line Out to E17 SPDIF in, is it just need a common RCA coaxial interconnect cable to link up these two devices? If not, is it a toslink cable that I need? Recommendation for any decent (branded) interconnect cable for this purpose are welcome.

I've read through this forum as well as the "Rx-MK3" forum and already reckon the hiss/noise/channel imbalance Solo-DB+amp other than RX-MK3 compatibility issues that come across by various members. I found that so far there are several batches of Solo-DB (with various output voltage that ALO has been put into correction)

If it could be solved, get Solo first and the Rx, otherwise vice versa

2. Since I would get these devices through the headgear specialty outlets locally in my place (and I not gonna order it through web), though hard/silly to say in some sense, so how do I determine I will get the latest version of the Solo-DB (with optimal output voltage and all issues fixed or minimum issues exist)? Same question applies to Rx-MK3!!

Of course I would ask the people in the outlets say weather it is latest or not, but most likely 99% THOSE SALESMAN would say it is the latest one and try to get my money out of my pocket asap before I get the device back to home. Since it would be very annoying and time-consuming to follow-up a "not wanted version" device after purchase.

3. I don't have any sensitive IEMs but for such low impedance of Momentum and M50, would it have similar hiss/noise/channel imbalance issues like those occurred in IEMs? Anybody have come across these combination?

4. One more side-track query, I'm also interested in Musical Fidelity V-Link192, do I still need V-Link192 if Solo-DB is in place for my PC usage? From your experience and knowledge, what sort of sonic improvement could I get if V-Link192 in place between PC and Solo-DB? any idea?

Many Thanks for your patience to read through my long question list and looking forward for any appropriate and positive advices.

Yazoo

Apr 2, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #1,271 of 1,793
Quote:
Problematic -db Update:

Gentlemen, for those of you like me, who's -db is not functioning well with all, or some of your amps, Cypher Labs has run a new model through production to address our problems. The new units should be shipping Monday - and Cypher Labs is doing a unit swap. You need to email David at Cypher Labs to get the new one shipped to you. Please PM me if you need his email information. 

The problems some of us are experiencing is that the sound gets weak, or cuts out entirely as you turn the volume pot of the amp up, which is connected to the -db. 

Cheers

Gentlemen,

I have received my new -db from David at Cypher Labs, and he NAILED it. Plenty of power, works flawlessly with all my amps, and he even resolved the pot scratchiness issue. The new -db is perfection. Please reach out to David if you are still having issues with your -db. He will take great care of you. 

Apr 2, 2013 at 7:39 PM Post #1,272 of 1,793
Quote:

Gentlemen,

I have received my new -db from David at Cypher Labs, and he NAILED it. Plenty of power, works flawlessly with all my amps, and he even resolved the pot scratchiness issue. The new -db is perfection. Please reach out to David if you are still having issues with your -db. He will take great care of you. 

Do you notice any other sonic differences between this and the last iteration of -db besides what you've already mentioned? 

Apr 2, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #1,273 of 1,793
Gentlemen,

I'm using Glacier with the -db and UM Miracle
The problem is : with the Glacier DAC alone, the battery life can last for 8-10 hours.
But when I add the -db to the combo, the sound is lower quite a lot, I have to turn up the Glacier's knob to get to the same as un-Dac.
And at the same loudness, together they can only run for 4-5 hours. Does this mean a problem with the -db like many others here had?

Apr 2, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #1,274 of 1,793
I don't quite understand what you are saying but i will say that the line out level of the Solo -R new updated fixed version is much lower than my line out on the Fostex HP-P1, so my external amp needs to be turned up a lot higher with the Solo.

Apr 4, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #1,275 of 1,793
Quote:
Do you notice any other sonic differences between this and the last iteration of -db besides what you've already mentioned? 

Nope. The issues have been fixed, but the sonic signature remains the same to my ears. 

Quote:
I'm using Glacier with the -db and UM Miracle
The problem is : with the Glacier DAC alone, the battery life can last for 8-10 hours.
But when I add the -db to the combo, the sound is lower quite a lot, I have to turn up the Glacier's knob to get to the same as un-Dac.
And at the same loudness, together they can only run for 4-5 hours. Does this mean a problem with the -db like many others here had?

The new unit will definitely have more power for your Glacier. Not sure about the battery life. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back