Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Solo - Discussion and Impressions Thread
Jul 17, 2011 at 11:26 AM Post #211 of 1,793
Oh ok, I just didn't remember where and what I read about it. Thank you for the answer though. 

Jul 17, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #212 of 1,793

Quote:
Yuceka, this has been much discussed. The iPod burns more power during USB transfer mode.

OH NO!!!
That's very bad news.. I planned on picking up the CLAS, even picked up a 64gb Itouch for it, but if it ices the battery.... should I pick up some IE8's instead and an S Flo2. Or my dad's girlfriend is going to China in not too long, she can snag a Colorfly for not too much....

Jul 17, 2011 at 5:35 PM Post #213 of 1,793
I would estimate that you'll still get at least 9-10 hours of battery life with a Touch feeding a CLAS.  For me, this isn't an issue because I have a few other compatible iDevices, and the CLAS itself only has maybe 10-12 hours of life.  If you're taking a long plane flight or are going to be away from a power outlet for a long time, maybe it's a consideration.  But I think the reduced battery life is an acceptable tradeoff in light of the sonic improvements provided by the CLAS over an iPod lineout.

Jul 17, 2011 at 5:44 PM Post #214 of 1,793
If you're that obsessive about battery life, you could also carry a USB charging unit with a couple of inputs in your bag to top it up when not in use. When you have a setup like iPod > CLAS > amp, you're going to need a bag or something to put it in, so it's not much of an ask to put a charger in there too.

I don't think I've ever listened to music for 10 hours without interruption, and for something like a commute, I'd imagine for me that would be around 2-3 hours a day, using my desktop set up when I got home, so that's still around 3 days of lightish use before it'd need charging.

I wish there was a battery-pack case for the iPod that had a sort of double dock whereby it added another 80% to the battery but also let you connect another 30pin to pass data through.

Jul 17, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #215 of 1,793
Agreed with dj Nellie and Somnambulist, battery life has not been a probem. I use the Classic. In a pinch, I can switch to my iPhone but I only ever had to the one time that I was lazy and didn't keep my Classic charged. 

Jul 18, 2011 at 12:01 AM Post #217 of 1,793
yeah the innards are actually pretty impressive imo, ideally perhaps you would want more layers on the pcb, but within pricing and space limits it looks quite well done. the numbers getting around are confusing to me though, although none show phase noise plots which i would expect to be superior. i think testing with a basic sound card and rmaa, which is a pretty rudimentary program, is not really good enough for the sophisticated comparison/measurements needed to get to the heart of this device. it would be better i agree, to have numbers for the solo alone, but that would make comparison to the hp out difficult, you could test vs classic/idevice LO, but the level difference would have to be adjusted for.

Jul 18, 2011 at 12:27 AM Post #218 of 1,793
Quote:
yeah the innards are actually pretty impressive imo, ideally perhaps you would want more layers on the pcb, but within pricing and space limits it looks quite well done. the numbers getting around are confusing to me though, although none show phase noise plots which i would expect to be superior. i think testing with a basic sound card and rmaa, which is a pretty rudimentary program, is not really good enough for the sophisticated comparison/measurements needed to get to the heart of this device. it would be better i agree, to have numbers for the solo alone, but that would make comparison to the hp out difficult, you could test vs classic/idevice LO, but the level difference would have to be adjusted for.

My concern is that the numbers may reflect more of the MKII than the Solo. Run those tests again ideally with both the Pico Slim and Stepdance and compare the three. Then we can do some comparisons with HP outs etc. Tests with one amp can't possibly tell us anything about the THD from the CLAS - other than 'no worse than' specs.  As I understand anyway...

Jul 18, 2011 at 3:14 AM Post #219 of 1,793

Quote:
OH NO!!!
That's very bad news.. I planned on picking up the CLAS, even picked up a 64gb Itouch for it, but if it ices the battery.... should I pick up some IE8's instead and an S Flo2. Or my dad's girlfriend is going to China in not too long, she can snag a Colorfly for not too much....

If you're really that concerned about battery life for 50 bucks you can buy a mophie juice pack at any Apple store. Its a iPod touch case with an extra rechargeable battery housed inside of it. I have one for my touch and it easily doubles the battery time.

Jul 18, 2011 at 4:38 AM Post #220 of 1,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreak /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you're really that concerned about battery life for 50 bucks you can buy a mophie juice pack at any Apple store. Its a iPod touch case with an extra rechargeable battery housed inside of it. I have one for my touch and it easily doubles the battery time.

I hadn't thought of that. The question is can that work with the CLAS? And if it can, someone should be able to make a cable that will charge and allow CLAS connection at the same time - but apparently that's not possible. Lots of questions but very interesting.

(Again it's not an issue for me since I always charge the CLAS and Classic together, and that gives me plenty of power.)

Jul 18, 2011 at 5:43 AM Post #221 of 1,793
Anybody has any experience with a Nano 6G? I just bought the CLAS + RX2 and want to pair them with a Nano for the sake of form factor.

Jul 18, 2011 at 12:47 PM Post #223 of 1,793

Quote:
I hadn't thought of that. The question is can that work with the CLAS? And if it can, someone should be able to make a cable that will charge and allow CLAS connection at the same time - but apparently that's not possible. Lots of questions but very interesting.

(Again it's not an issue for me since I always charge the CLAS and Classic together, and that gives me plenty of power.)

Yeah the Juice pack connects to the dock so there would be no way to connect to the CLAS. I'm not sure of the technicalities but I presume that you can't have a cable that's split to provide data on one and power on the other. I imagine using an iPod with wifi turned off, as well as any expendable settings like auto-screen brightness should lengthen the battery life a bit. On the other hand if you're one of the people using EQu or Equaliser, I've read they are a bit of a drain.

Jul 19, 2011 at 11:22 PM Post #225 of 1,793
I just ordered a Solo and a SR-71B.  Took delivery of the Solo a few days ago and have been playing around with it in my system and it is remarkable how spooky good its DAC and iPod transport really is.

While waiting for the SR-71B to get here, I plugged the DAC into my headphone amp with some el cheapo generic cable that came with some long ago forgotten piece of audio gear as it was the only thing I had around.  And even with something like that I was floored with how clear and tonally correct the DAC sounded.  When I use it as an iPod transport and source into my DAC and play on my full range speakers, again it is remarkable how good the audio is.

This Solo is an incredible piece of gear.  I am really looking forward to getting the SR-71B hooked up.  The audio is so high quality, I may spring for the ALO universal cable just so I can listen to the balanced output.  

My only issue is I wish that a detection circuit would be there to tell when the unit is plugged in so it will charge my iPod.

When it gets here tomorrow, I'll post some photos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back