Cyberdrive Clarity Feather DAC
Nov 7, 2015 at 11:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

commando

Headphoneus Supremus
Someone (presumably Cyberdrive) has sent me a bunch of in-ear headphones and the "Cyberdrive Clarity Feather DAC" for review. As far as I can tell, they never contacted me so I don't know how they got my details, though I do run a related website so it's not that unusual. They don't answer the contact form on their website though.

I'm just curious if anyone knows anything about them or their products, particularly the DAC. It has no instructions, the box says it works on Windows 7 and up but it didn't for me initially. I eventually downloaded a driver for one of their other products that made it work. The DAC itself has two buttons on it, I have no idea what they do. All I know is what the outside of the box says - that it has DSD256 and PCM192khz.

I'll do a review of it sooner or later, but right now my opinion is - it's a DAC, they're all much the same unless you have golden ears.

Nov 25, 2015 at 10:15 PM Post #2 of 22
I'll do a review of it sooner or later, but right now my opinion is - it's a DAC, they're all much the same unless you have golden ears.

Hi, any opinions on it already? Cyberdrive are having them on sale now, and you can get even more discount with the codes they published on IGG.

Unfortunately, information on the product is severely lacking. Not even a manual in the box?
blink.gif

Dec 19, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #4 of 22
Dec 29, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #6 of 22
I must've gotten a pre-production unit or something. Can you tell me what the buttons on the unit do, or upload a scan/photo of the instructions?

They are volume up and down controls. The one with three dots is up and the one with one dot is volume down. They work well, but I don't like putting pressure on my usb jacks, so I usually only use the buttons if it is hooked up to a dongle or USB.

The DAC is excellent for the price I paid $40 with international delivery and a decent pair of headphones, but the usb connection is noisy (static) and the bass is a bit light. The impact bass headphones are a good pairing with the DAC and excellent performers at their price.

Dec 31, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #8 of 22
Feb 17, 2016 at 7:04 PM Post #10 of 22

I just received mine recently and I'd been putting it through its paces on my iPhone 6S...and I have to say it is JUST SO GOOD. I was very surprised because at the price of $39 I didn’t expect the Clarity Aura to come so close that is almost overshadows the Pono Player in terms of sound quality. Here is my experience comparing it with an iBasso DX50, Pono Player, Sony NW-A15 and Cyberdrive's other Seiun Player:

Using a pair of Grado SR80es as test headphones, I put my units to the test. On the Clarity Aura, the sound was quite amazing, in that it was not only detailed but certainly had a musical quality not dissimilar to Pono. Playing Kenny G’s Songbird at 24/192 on both the iPhone and Pono, the sound and imagery was clear and detailed. Whilst the soundstage wasn’t as slightly broader or defined as Pono it was close.

Next I compared Anita Baker’s Been So Long 24/192 FLAC from her Rapture album. Testing this between the Clarity and the Pono, yielded virtually NO DIFFERENCE between the two. This was a big surprise. Both sounded fairly rounded, and balanced with strong imagery and detailed sounds. So I then tested it on the Sony, Seiun and iBasso. On the Sony, whilst the instruments, guitar and percussion was clear and fairly focused, the soundstage was a lot smaller than Pono and the Clarity Aura and the vocals had somehow become 2D, losing the sense of depth I could hear on the other two units. Having tested it before myself, the Sony is known to have a ‘glass ceiling’ in that it can’t break through its soundstage at certain pitches. I noticed this when testing Kitaro’s Aqua track a while back comparing to the Pono. Going back to the test, on the same Anita track the iBasso bass sounded less punchy overall than all the others even at the same volume, and the drums and bass sounded muddy. Then comes the Seiun. The Seiun is another surprise because, whilst it doesn’t quite sound as good as the Pono nor the Clarity Aura because it can’t seem to render high pitches well enough (they sound a little piercing at high volumes even when it has been burned in), it sounds better than the iBasso and in some ways the Sony also. However the Seiun Player does seem to exhibit some distortion on lower MP3-grade files. This I could clearly discern on Whitney Houston's Didn't We Almost Have It All at higher pitches especially crescendo - but I think that maybe this was a bad recording since the distortion I heard on this track was exhibited on all three players. For the Anita track the Pono sounded the most rounded balanced and complete on the Pono in terms of soundstage and separation but the Clarity Aura comes a close second for quality.

In addition to testing with the iPhone 6S, I also tried the Clarity Aura DAC with my PC running the Pono Music World app. Apart from running all the files with flying colours (MP3, FLAC etc) it also played my DSD files. The biggest plus of the Clarity Aura DAC is that it can playback DSD-256 files so-called Quad-speed DSD tracks. This is a phenomenal development by Cyberdrive - and it showed on my tests and setup panel (card could run at 24-bit with 352.8kHz sample rates but needs to be set manually under the Windows Sound setup). I ran a couple of DSD files on my PC and it actually sounded better than my PC’s internal Realtek chipset. So all in all a great little unit to have!

Mar 12, 2016 at 9:45 AM Post #11 of 22
I ordered one yesterday along with IEM's they have as a package. I am hoping that it will work ok with my iPhone or iPad. I will post a follow up when I get them. I am also going to try it on my iPod classic and see if it will sync with it, but I am not holding my breath on that idea.

Mar 16, 2016 at 8:56 PM Post #12 of 22
Got mint today. It works on both my iPad mini 2 and iPhone 6 Plus. It sounds good so far but I need to let it run in to see how it sounds. I really like it using my PortaPro headphones. Keep every one updated.

Apr 13, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #13 of 22
Still enjoying this DAC, it sounds nice on IEM phones and even does good with my Koss ESP-950 electrostatic headphones. I still say go for one if you want a nice decent sounding usb dac.

May 21, 2016 at 8:50 PM Post #14 of 22
Well I liked the first one so much I prchased a second one for travel.

Jun 13, 2016 at 10:28 AM Post #15 of 22
Guess I am going to have a sit down and do a formal review of the Clarity Feather. When I do, I will compare it to my PSAudio DAC, my old Adcom DAC and various layers I have, cd, sacd, iPod ect. For the money this little DAC/amp is killer.. What really surprises me the most is the bass definition and the lack of brittleness in the highs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back