CX300 need Burn in?
Jun 4, 2006 at 8:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Woosh

100+ Head-Fier
hey i was wondering if these need to be burned in for a good effect? ive heard people say IEMs dont need burn in but ive also heard people say that the CX300s run a dynamic driver that requires burn in to achieve a good effect. so do these actually need to be burnt in? if so how long?

thanx

PS: ive searched but with no distinctive answers....

Jun 4, 2006 at 8:19 AM Post #2 of 6
I'm sure burn in would help, but because the SQ isn't amazing, it shouldn't take too long, and I doubt there's a big difference. Maybe 30 hours max?

Jun 4, 2006 at 10:25 AM Post #3 of 6
Maybe they do benifit from burn in but there wasn't enough change in sound to care.

For me they sounded good out of the box and still do, - the sibilance.

Unlike the Portapro's which blantly need some burn in time to tighten up the bass. I noticed it each time i replaced the drivers. Same goes to the HD212pro's i have which needed even more burn in.
I also noticed some benifit from burn in to the mx500's. Could be a placebo here tho.

Jun 4, 2006 at 5:10 PM Post #4 of 6
I had a different experience, with some of the most dramatic burn-in change I've ever heard. The bass went from bloated and sloppy to strong and a bit imprecise. In other words, a significant improvement. The sibilance also died down a bit. All of this was with constant comparison to a pair of fully burned-in KSC-75.

I'm not surprised if different people have different experiences though, with such small drivers and low final cost, very small variations in production tolerances might create big differences from pair to pair.

Oct 11, 2008 at 6:36 PM Post #6 of 6
I don't think anything improves with them over time. I think the treble sorts itself out after 4 hours of listening and that's it (bit sharp and uncontrolled out the packet). The CX300 are good for the price and at what they do (assuming you paid the right price for them) but that's it, they are not true IEM's so don't expect them to "open up".

But do take into account the inconsistencies in production so it could just be my two cents.

-J

Users who are viewing this thread

Back