CX, EX, K, S, Oladra, Antipodes, Owners Unite
May 26, 2022 at 7:27 AM Post #1,921 of 2,412
hi all, just dropping in as have put up my antipodes combo for sale: K30 / S20 / S60. So if you're keen on antipodes units check them out. :)

May 26, 2022 at 2:18 PM Post #1,922 of 2,412
So, my k50 has been crashing randomly again. I had a session with antipdoes yesterday and they think it might be related to my ethernet switch. They said, "audiophile" (they used quotation marks) switches make the k50 act up in strange ways. I don't know if I am fully on board with that, but it is what they claim. I'd just take it out and call it a day, but I think things sound better with the ether regen (I'm assuming the same with the Innuos Phoenix NET). Antipodes didn't outright say this, but I get the impression that they don't particularly think highly of the use of ethernet switches on their devices. I don't know why an ethernet switch would cause my K50 to act up, but admittedly, I am no electrical engineer.

May 26, 2022 at 7:49 PM Post #1,923 of 2,412
So, my k50 has been crashing randomly again. I had a session with antipdoes yesterday and they think it might be related to my ethernet switch. They said, "audiophile" (they used quotation marks) switches make the k50 act up in strange ways. I don't know if I am fully on board with that, but it is what they claim. I'd just take it out and call it a day, but I think things sound better with the ether regen (I'm assuming the same with the Innuos Phoenix NET). Antipodes didn't outright say this, but I get the impression that they don't particularly think highly of the use of ethernet switches on their devices. I don't know why an ethernet switch would cause my K50 to act up, but admittedly, I am no electrical engineer.
I have mentioned earlier on in this same thread about a user mentioning they had similar issues regarding ethernet switches and their K50, so far this has not been an issue with me and I truly hope I can keep my switch in the chain.

Please update us with what ends up happening to your switch...

Good luck!

May 26, 2022 at 8:05 PM Post #1,924 of 2,412
This has not been an issue for me with my switch (modified Buffalo switch, PF Buffalo) either. I also have my video ethernet routed through this switch. I am in the U.S. and do experience 2 momentary connection alerts shown on the video when first connecting though. I use a Firestick. I also can experience buffering with HULU but not on any of the other streaming video services I have. I have sufficient download bandwidth, so this should not be an issue. I suppose it is possible my switch may be related to this, but, again, has not been an issue for my music audio.

May 26, 2022 at 8:16 PM Post #1,925 of 2,412
I don't know why an ethernet switch would cause my K50 to act up, but admittedly, I am no electrical engineer.

Isolation can sometimes cause some strange things to happen. I’ve seen that mostly on the USB side of things where an ISO Regen would occasionally make things flaky due to a static charge forming due to the ground being isolated. I have never heard of that occurring with the ER though. One thing you might want to try is connecting everything to the A side so the moat is bypassed. This will lose a bit of the sound quality benefits but it’ll at least help with troubleshooting.

I think maybe their reluctance with switches is that many are simply tweaked consumer switches. Whether the tweaks result in a device that meets spec isn’t a certainty.

May 26, 2022 at 9:00 PM Post #1,927 of 2,412
I've been using the k30 with Innuos PhoenixNET for the past few months with no issues. Just my experience.

May 26, 2022 at 11:04 PM Post #1,928 of 2,412
Just got my May Holo and using Phoneixnet with the k50 no issues.

Thank the lord, I was little worried but at same time I feel if it can happen to you, it can happen to me any time in the future.

May 27, 2022 at 3:22 PM Post #1,929 of 2,412
A few weeks ago, I lost ROON after updating CX/EX Oladra. ROON just wouldn't 'see' THE Core. Tried rebooting and restarting etc to no avail. Arranged a remote session but it wasn't needed as everything started working the next day - don't know why but it did, and it's been perfect ever since. I've always regarded electricity as witchcraft and this latest episode has done nothing to change that.

May 28, 2022 at 8:53 PM Post #1,930 of 2,412
Turns out that listening to the CX / EX via Squeeze will occasionally lead to a split second disruption during music playback. This can happen randomly for DSD64 and DSD128 tracks. I have not tried on full length albums in other formats yet. I have none of these problems when I use my SOtM SMS 200 streamer before the EX. Does anyone have similar experience?
My 2+ yrs ones does not thru all the SW and oladra upgrade playing from ssd in cx and streaming else Antipodes would hv heard of it for reaolution.

Time to seek help from Antipodes but being random will be tough to pinpoint cause(s) which can be many reason in the audio chain ?

Good luck and cheers.

May 31, 2022 at 2:17 PM Post #1,931 of 2,412
It is so strange thet the newest Antipodes Oladra loaded with 64GB of RAM can handle only PCM to 768kHz over USB or 384kHz over I2S. There are DACs nowdays supporting PCM up to 1 536 kHz

May 31, 2022 at 2:29 PM Post #1,932 of 2,412
can handle only PCM to 768kHz over USB or 384kHz over I2S
I had asked about that on their forum a while back as the K50 also has that limitation. I didn't get a response. I suspect it's a matter of not having these DACs on hand to confirm that higher PCM rates will work in a stable fashion.

May 31, 2022 at 5:24 PM Post #1,935 of 2,412
Does that mean that K50 actually is able to output PCM 1 536 kHz?
The specs say no but I it would be great if someone was able try it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back