CX, EX, K, S, Oladra, Antipodes, Owners Unite
Apr 28, 2022 at 7:56 PM Post #1,846 of 2,467
Anyone else here use material skin? I was browsing the antipodes forums and saw that many appreciated the material interface/skin, some users mentioned in the past firmware versions, one can launch material from myantipodes.

For our current up to date firmware, does the option to use material disappear or is the overall blue theme of the squeeze server/player automatically already using the material skin?

Apr 28, 2022 at 8:05 PM Post #1,847 of 2,467
Anyone else here use material skin? I was browsing the antipodes forums and saw that many appreciated the material interface/skin, some users mentioned in the past firmware versions, one can launch material from myantipodes.

For our current up to date firmware, does the option to use material disappear or is the overall blue theme of the squeeze server/player automatically already using the material skin?
I believe the material skin is the standard with the current software. You can use an IOS software called iPeng as well on your ipad or iphone.

Apr 28, 2022 at 8:23 PM Post #1,848 of 2,467
I believe the material skin is the standard with the current software. You can use an IOS software called iPeng as well on your ipad or iphone.
Ok that makes sense, thank you much.

Damn if this is already the material skin, the previous skin must have been atrocious.

Can't deny that both server/player squeeze sounds better though.

Anyone have luck being able to add tracks via Squeeze when using Tidal and also having it sync into their Tidal? When I "add song to favorites" in Squeeze, it does some odd ball thing where it goes my favorites folder but not into Tidal.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2022 at 2:43 AM Post #1,849 of 2,467
Is the oladra upgrade still available? I thought it was a time limited offer, now expired.

I had a look at the antipodes web site and it does indicate that they are able to do these upgrades on an ongoing basis. When it was initially announced they were saying that it was limited offer due to the need to reconfigure the factory. The time window to make the expensive decision was ridiculously short, so it is good news that they can continue to do the upgrades.

Maybe I will be tempted to do mine in the future. I love the styling of the CX/EX series, especially the green LEDS :) The K series are crazy money for me.

https://antipodes.audio/upgrades/

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2022 at 3:46 AM Post #1,850 of 2,467
I tend to swop between Material and iPeng because in some ways I find iPeng easier to use but in other ways I prefer the Material interface. They both have nil effect on the sound of Squeeze/Squeezelite as far as I can tell.

May 1, 2022 at 7:57 PM Post #1,851 of 2,467
A bit off topic, but I'll throw in that I've got both the CX & EX switched from Orange to Purple SR fuses, they are both backwards in terms of direction and producing positive improvements. I found putting them in the rest of the system in place of Orange also has produced transformative results. To contrast before and after, it's as though all of the harmonics were constrained from getting through and now the music freely flows through the speakers making for a transformational holographic experience.
Most of the fuses are tie-wrapped to the positive wire after the IEC with the fuse dot facing the wire. After a week of listening, I found that in my system and with the fuses I had, they also sounded better in reverse direction in the Ref10 120SE, the Phoenix and the DAC. The preamps sounded best with the Purple fuse labeling facing towards the preamps.

Related to that, I have a pair of Krell Class A mono blocks that I shut off after listening as their combined standby power is 450W. Using the SR fuses would require the settling in process to start all over again with each new listening session. I don't know if the SR fuses require a certain amount of current in the circuit to maintain their effectiveness but I was thinking of using a resistor across the 240VAC line after the IEC and before the amp's breaker switch. I'd then tie wrap a fuse to the positive lead between the IEC inlet and before the resistor to keep a small amount of current flowing when the amp breaker switch is off. If I used a 500K ohm non-inductive resistor across the 240VAC line it would draw .5mA and dissipate .12W I would use a 1W or higher power rating. Outside of a lightening strike, any feedback as to other negative effects and whether it's worth a try?

May 1, 2022 at 8:58 PM Post #1,852 of 2,467
Most of the fuses are tie-wrapped to the positive wire after the IEC with the fuse dot facing the wire.
What does that look like? Can you share any pics?

May 1, 2022 at 9:41 PM Post #1,853 of 2,467

Attachments

• 67BF75C5-C2B6-4821-84A9-4D4ACB2D0F96.jpeg
    67BF75C5-C2B6-4821-84A9-4D4ACB2D0F96.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
May 1, 2022 at 11:28 PM Post #1,854 of 2,467
They are not working as a fuse. This is the scary part of unlicensed users applying a protective device. Even if used to replace an existing fuse, they must be rated correctly and certified. The function of a fuse is to protect against 🔥.

May 2, 2022 at 1:54 AM Post #1,855 of 2,467
They are not working as a fuse. This is the scary part of unlicensed users applying a protective device. Even if used to replace an existing fuse, they must be rated correctly and certified. The function of a fuse is to protect against 🔥.
Well another function of the fuse there is to protect the device from overload damage. For example last week a friend somehow had his K50 swopped over to the 115v setting (don’t ask!!) and plugged it into the 230v mains. The k50 fuse(s) blew and no harm was done to the K50.

I have only tried one SR fuse. A different friend loaned it to me. I am afraid I heard no difference whatsoever and so gave it back to him.

May 2, 2022 at 2:41 AM Post #1,856 of 2,467
In the UK 240 volt, we have fuses in the plug and fuses in HiFi equipment yet no fuses in 110 volt plugs in a high risk area like a building site. (yes I know 110 less harmfull)
There are also no fuses in a UK 240 volt 16 amp or 32 amp plug.
Plug fuses normally protect the cable not the appliance........
If you have a fused plug in your system you may find it perform better without a fuse...which is why some people in the UK use escutcheon plugs (European plug).
All my Hifi is protected by my power supply and additional fuses inside the equipment.
I tried various fuses in plugs, all made a difference in sound but no fuse sounds best to me.
To me by accident when my fuses blow in the K50 I reversed direction of one fuse which to me was the sweet spot as fuse direction made a difference in sound.
If you doubt fuses in the antipodes try using some cheap glass fuses of the same rating, ceramic fuses sound better in my opinion give it a try and let us know the outcome.

Edit If you put the fuse holder in a different way than set by the manufacturer it changes the input voltage

Last edited:
May 2, 2022 at 7:17 AM Post #1,857 of 2,467
Wow...
I once suggested on another forum thread that a manufacturer's amplifier couldn't meet it's claimed 2 ohm continuous power spec as the specified power supply was under rated.
I got responses like, " You'd never want to send 800W into a tweeter - it would blow..." Then the pile on.

This is the same. The "quantum" dot on the side of the fuse is doing whatever it is that it does to positively affect the sound. Do I really need to say that the SR fuse strapped to the incoming AC wire is no longer functionally a fuse in this case and that its rating is inconsequential? Really?

The 2.5A slo-blo fuses that replaced the original 1A are still in the fuse holder since the PS upgrade.
Thanks guys for all the backhanded comments, invalidations and the lecture.

Last edited:
May 2, 2022 at 7:28 AM Post #1,858 of 2,467
Err another site lectured you and backhand comment is for this thread? You ok

May 2, 2022 at 7:59 AM Post #1,859 of 2,467
A 1 amp fuse should never be replaced by a higher rating. A fuse will interrupt the current flow if it rises above the rating on the fuse. This is to protect devices in the unit and prevent possibility of fire. Sorry if my comment was backhanded. I was in charge of CSA certification for our company (electrical controls manufacture) and people protection was paramount. The way the fuse is applied in the photo provides no electrical connection or protection. As to the “dot” providing sonic improvement I cannot say. Tweaks are great fun but should be avoided if it means opening and modifying a certified piece of equipment. If access is provided by the manufacturer to the fuses they can be changed but only to one of the same rating and the fuse should be certified by a governing body for the location. i.e. UL, CSA etc.

May 2, 2022 at 12:12 PM Post #1,860 of 2,467
This is the same. The "quantum" dot on the side of the fuse is doing whatever it is that it does to positively affect the sound. Do I really need to say that the SR fuse strapped to the incoming AC wire is no longer functionally a fuse in this case and that its rating is inconsequential? Really?
Sorry but yeah, you do need to say that. It’s difficult not to have a “what the heck” reaction to “fuse” along with the words “strapped”. In all the years I’ve been aware of SR fuses, I had never seen anyone strapping them. The manufacturer doesn’t even talk about this particular use case. Looking back to your post and I can’t tell if you actually installed the Purple fuses normally into your CX and EX or whether they “are tie-wrapped to the positive wire after the IEC with the fuse dot facing the wire”. I’m not saying you shouldn’t strap them. I’m just saying that it would have benefited your readers to preface your remarks with an explanation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back