CX, EX, K, S, Oladra, Antipodes, Owners Unite
Apr 13, 2022 at 6:53 AM Post #1,786 of 2,412
Well, WOW!! Antipodes are going places and that place is in the direction of the Taiko Extreme pricing.

"The Antipodes Oladra music server will debut at the High End Munich Show in May 2022, and will begin shipping in August 2022. The world price is $25,000 (plus tariffs & taxes)."

https://antipodes.audio/oladra/

Well, on the one hand :yum: on the other:scream: yet I’m cool with it all:sunglasses:

Apr 13, 2022 at 8:30 AM Post #1,787 of 2,412
It must be frustrating for Antipodes with the need to change boards. It’s certainly frustrating for owners.

This quickly changing of the Antipodes line made me think…. they are just single board computers with a fancy power supply. I’ve been listening to the K30, EX long enough I have some brain burn in. I thought, time to fire up the NUC with roon Rock and use it as the server. That didn’t last long.

All you K50 owners, how long until you upgrade?

Apr 13, 2022 at 8:31 AM Post #1,788 of 2,412
It must be frustrating for Antipodes with the need to change boards. It’s certainly frustrating for owners.

This quickly changing of the Antipodes line made me think…. they are just single board computers with a fancy power supply. I’ve been listening to the K30, EX long enough I have some brain burn in. I thought, time to fire up the NUC with roon Rock and use it as the server. That didn’t last long.

Why do you wish to purchae mine ? :wink:

Apr 13, 2022 at 1:27 PM Post #1,789 of 2,412

I have a K50, and do not have any immediate plans to upgrade or change to a different manufacturer offering. I was taken by surprise on the Oladra announcement. Certainly, I am curious what perceived differences in sound quality Oladra is supposed to provide and why. For those willing to spend this much for an audiophile server, the pricing level opens up potential consideration for other manufacturers. I do not blame Antipodes for increased cost and availability of parts. However, that's not to say similar issues could not affect future for Oladra as well. I read the release that Antipodes has stockpiled parts for it, but I seem to recall similar regarding the K and S series. The existing K and S series and upgraded CX/EX have not all the sudden lost their fine audio quality performance. It should be quite interesting seeing how this all pans out.

Apr 13, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #1,790 of 2,412
The height of the Oladra chassis has me thinking they must have done something pretty radical in terms of the power supply. The previous supplies they used would take up too much space if there were 3 of them as in the K50. The name they’ve given the server here points to power supply innovation as well. Their teaser doesn’t mention power supplies so I suspect the big reveal of that will come.

The Oladra’s higher price affords them the ability to get more extreme with their implementation. Ballsy move though to price it at a Taiko Extreme level.

As far as their new K series lineup, I am bummed by the fact that the K30 is no more. I envisioned it sticking around and eventually seeing the equivalent of a mk2 upgrade. Clearly though the biggest takeaway is that little is certain as far as what the future will hold for their lineups.

On the plus side, I’m glad they offer a K21 in addition to the K22. The reclocker in the K50 actually kept me from being interested in it as I didn’t want to pay extra for something I would not use. Ugh - I see that K50 is only $1000 more than K41 plus K21. To keep with a single chassis (and single power cord) the K50 would be the better choice. I’m glad I’m not in the market for a server right now.

Apr 14, 2022 at 7:06 PM Post #1,791 of 2,412
I think I’d have to try Oldara side by side with the Taiko Extreme, given the $10K jump from the K50.

I’m also skeptical of the improvement either would bring to a headphone setup, so I look forward to comparisons.

Apr 15, 2022 at 3:15 PM Post #1,793 of 2,412
I have the CX/EX and am also tight for space. Mine have the original power supplies and I never notice them getting particularly warm. I think you could stack EX on CX without any problems, but I would probably choose to stack the phono preamp instead. I have my TT2 DAC on my EX and have no problems with either component getting excessively warm. The Chord DAC is designed to be stacked with other TT sized components. I have also seen Antipodes marketing shots with CX and EX stacked.
CX must be above EX ... it generates far more heat than the EX and needs the air flow around it.

Apr 15, 2022 at 4:55 PM Post #1,794 of 2,412
I think I’d have to try Oldara side by side with the Taiko Extreme, given the $10K jump from the K50.

I’m also skeptical of the improvement either would bring to a headphone setup, so I look forward to comparisons.
I was told by a respected member on here that the headphones were the bottle neck with their Taiko and scale much more with speakers.

Apr 15, 2022 at 10:24 PM Post #1,795 of 2,412
While a small group of you guys are awaiting the new flagship what are your personal experiences with order of important in terms of gear, of course specifically where you would rank the antipodes server.

I'll start, though I am sure my answer will be an unpopular one:

1. DAC
2. AMP
3. SERVER
4. RECLOCKERS/CABLES

From a purely foundational view of course it should be: server, dac, amp, reclockers, cables but my experience from a "bang for buck perspective" goes in the above order.

Apr 15, 2022 at 10:51 PM Post #1,796 of 2,412
Hello everyone,

I have a CX/EX combo but since upgrading to the AMS platform, my iPeng cannot display the correct local artwork (folder.jpg) for my DSD (ALL .dff and some .dsf) files. I have done all the permutations of flushing cache / clear library / rescan but the end result is the same - Only the same ONE artwork will be displayed for the DSD files. This artwork happens to be the very last DSD file in the library (accordingly to /Artist/Album in alphabetical order).

I have also tried to replace that folder.jpg with another picture and sure enough, the new picture will be displayed. I have resorted to formatting the SSD and re-installed back with the library and yet the same thing happens. I suspect that the problem lies with the CX becuase the same thing happens if I use the Squeezepad app as well.

Mark told me that there is no way to do a factory reset to the CX. Does anyone have any advice for me? (No, not using Roon because Squeeze seems superior in SQ).

Thank you all!

Apr 16, 2022 at 1:13 AM Post #1,797 of 2,412
Hello everyone,

I have a CX/EX combo but since upgrading to the AMS platform, my iPeng cannot display the correct local artwork (folder.jpg) for my DSD (ALL .dff and some .dsf) files. I have done all the permutations of flushing cache / clear library / rescan but the end result is the same - Only the same ONE artwork will be displayed for the DSD files. This artwork happens to be the very last DSD file in the library (accordingly to /Artist/Album in alphabetical order).

I have also tried to replace that folder.jpg with another picture and sure enough, the new picture will be displayed. I have resorted to formatting the SSD and re-installed back with the library and yet the same thing happens. I suspect that the problem lies with the CX becuase the same thing happens if I use the Squeezepad app as well.

Mark told me that there is no way to do a factory reset to the CX. Does anyone have any advice for me? (No, not using Roon because Squeeze seems superior in SQ).

Thank you all!
Have you tried using the Material web based server controller?

Apr 16, 2022 at 1:16 AM Post #1,798 of 2,412
I was told by a respected member on here that the headphones were the bottle neck with their Taiko and scale much more with speakers.
I also think that a good speaker system is much more revealing than a good headphone system.

Apr 16, 2022 at 2:29 AM Post #1,799 of 2,412

Welcome to my world. For some strange reason, LMS can’t read artwork on some of my tracks. It’s a server problem and you can see an error reflected in the scan logs. It’s not a client issue as both iPeng and Material show no artwork. Resetting your server won’t resolve this. I wish I could tell what would. I believe an open source library that’s used has a bug. I think this same library is used with MPD as well, because some artwork doesn’t turn up there either. It’s no an Antipodes issue as MPD on my Chord Poly can’t read these either.

Commercial software like Roon and JRiver have no problem seeing the artwork. A benefit of paying for software,

DB5951CE-8A6A-4AF3-8DCA-4A9991B5DDD9.jpeg

FDE23114-FF59-4897-A2FB-3D32313CFDE7.jpeg

Apr 16, 2022 at 7:17 AM Post #1,800 of 2,412
Hello everyone,

Thank you all!
I had this problem when using squeeze and mpd. I was able to cure it by removing the embedded artwork in the individual tracks and keeping the artwork in two files named folder.jpg and cover.jpg. I use mp3tag to do this. You could try it on one album first. In mo3tag, select all tracks, right click on the art picture and select remove. First save the art to cover and folder.jpg. Probably only one is needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back