CX, EX, K, S, Oladra, Antipodes, Owners Unite
Aug 22, 2021 at 9:00 AM Post #826 of 2,535
I think we may be clock happy , however adding more clocks seems that it might be the more the merrier, I’m not sure, but the last clock not overwritten may be the only one that matters…. I’m keep the chain as direct as possible, usb my choice as chord preffered delivery is through usb and has its own clock, the DX preferred output is usb. Rob watts wasn’t thrilled by multiple clocks but this may be above my pay grade.

Aug 22, 2021 at 10:35 AM Post #827 of 2,535
I think we may be clock happy , however adding more clocks seems that it might be the more the merrier, I’m not sure, but the last clock not overwritten may be the only one that matters…. I’m keep the chain as direct as possible, usb my choice as chord preffered delivery is through usb and has its own clock, the DX preferred output is usb. Rob watts wasn’t thrilled by multiple clocks but this may be above my pay grade.
Hi Whazzup,

Believe throughout the digital chain matters and not only final one ...else I would not experience the improved SQ from use of uptone etherRegen and Afterdark's double emperor oxco clock.

Fortunate that we have dedicated products e.g. transport, dac, pre-amp, amp etc. to fine tune our system but it also introduce more issues in audio data transfer and clocking prevails in each transfer in digital domain imho.

I will look foolish to try to say further as I am not as learned as many there but I will probably pursue the same route as the DX ownership with the below at some later stage. It is now even more "affordable" with multiple outputs for perhaps cpu, i/o, usb etc. in this ultra version but with key concern on space in my ex even without the internal ssd of the cx that will also be too much $.

Read all done on quality of ethernet on switches, lps, cables etc. for the Antipodes but I would like to err on also the Antipodes itself ... like this Olandra upgrade.

Cheers.

PS: Not adding more clocks but replacement of existing ones

https://www.sotm-audio.com/sotmwp/english/press-release-sclk-ex/

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210822-221507_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210822-221507_Chrome.jpg
    738.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20210822-221428_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210822-221428_Chrome.jpg
    487.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 22, 2021 at 3:25 PM Post #828 of 2,535
With apology if I sounded impatient but was just trying to share my wish/query, some experience, available fixes from SOTM/Pink Faun etc. and not on how it should not be done without more specific info.
All good, my brother in audio. No apology necessary.

Aug 25, 2021 at 2:40 AM Post #829 of 2,535
Antipodes have posted this update on their Support page. I thought it would be of interest and so have copied it in full. I wonder which third party app was causing problems.

Support Portal​

Welcome to the Antipodes user support portal. Here, you can make contact with us via live chat, book a one on one appointment to get assistance on a purchase or with your setup, use the forums to chat with other members, and form groups with common interests.

Oladra Upgrades​

– CX/EX Update​

The CX and EX upgrade process hit a snag that has now been resolved. It emerged that one third-party app that many of our customers want to use, was not working reliably with the Operating System necessary to support the latest versions of other important third-party apps.

It took us a few weeks to make and test software changes that would work across all apps and across all models. This has delayed the completion of CX/EX upgrades, and the release date for remote updates of AMSv3.1 to other models.

The operating system and third-party apps are all working happily together now, we are installing AMSv3.1 software on the upgraded CX and EX, and we will soon begin to ship units back to our customers.

We are very grateful for your understanding and patience with us on this.

– DX3 Update​

We have completed sufficient testing to be able to order materials for OLADRA upgrades for the DX3 and for earlier DX that were upgraded to DX3 level. These materials need to be manufactured before we can begin these upgrades. At this stage we expect to configure the factory to complete these upgrades around October/November 2021.

Covid-19 Update​

Some of you will be aware that New Zealand has employed an ‘elimination’ strategy for COVID-19. Being an island nation, there are few entry points to our country and so we have successfully taken a hard border approach, coupled with heavy lockdown rules when any outbreak occurs.

We recently had our first real outbreak of the Delta variant and we are currently in the highest level of lockdown. This severely limits our ability to operate as we can only work from home, and cannot open the factory for normal operations. We cannot yet predict when the lockdown level will be eased.

Covid Impacts On The Line-Up​

COVID, plus several other factors, have combined to create a shortage of several parts that are used in our current models. In some cases we were caught with just 3 months’ supply and lead times shooting out to 40+ weeks. In other cases the chipsets for boards were subject to immediate end-of-life notices from the manufacturers.
This problem began to emerge in late 2020, and continues. All models have been affected in some way, other than the K10 Ripper.

Without mitigation we would be out of stock of nearly all models by now. To mitigate the problem, we began a hunt for alternative parts, began the re-design of all models around the alternative parts, and purchased very large quantities of the alternative parts to guarantee that our business can continue through the worldwide chip shortage problems that are likely to last into 2023 at least. This has consumed a large chunk of our resources over the last 10 months.

In re-visiting each affected model, our primary goal was to ensure no reduction in sound quality. In a number of cases, one forced change would cause a small reduction in sound quality and so we changed the spec or design of another part of the design to compensate or more than compensate for this, to maintain or improve sound quality.
The most pervasive change is to the OLADRA power supply design. We have compensated for the unavailability of a preferred part by intensive work to push the envelope further to reap more of the rewards delivered by the original design of 15 months ago.

In some cases the changes to the models are minor, with the only impacts being an increase in the costs to Antipodes, and minor changes to the sound signature of the products.
In other cases, the changes are greater. The biggest change was to the K50, where three different chip sets became impossible to get in the quantities required to meet demand. Of the three main boards (server, player, re-clocker), two are completely new boards. As mentioned, the power supply design has also changed. These changes dictated a different internal layout, and this allowed us to add two additional digital outputs, S/PDIF on Toslink and I2S on RJ45, in response to requests from the market.
There are some changes to the sound signatures of the models, but sound quality is maintained and enhanced a little in most cases. As stated, throughout the revision of all models, the one key constraint we imposed was that sound quality could improve, but could not diminish.

The negative consequence is that Antipodes’ manufacturing costs have been driven up by nearly 15%. It is our policy to absorb cost increases for two years between price increases, but with the size of these cost increases, we cannot rule out bringing a price increase forward into 2021 as costs continue to rise.

Aug 26, 2021 at 4:26 AM Post #830 of 2,535
These changes dictated a different internal layout, and this allowed us to add two additional digital outputs, S/PDIF on Toslink and I2S on RJ45, in response to requests from the market.

Would have been great if this option of my preferred direct i2s output to my Denafrip T+ with 3x i2s inputs was possible for my ex/cx being upgraded but check with Mark indicates that there is simply no space within the smaller chassis even if ex as player will not have its mini pcie with ssds 😔

Cheers.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #831 of 2,535
These changes dictated a different internal layout, and this allowed us to add two additional digital outputs, S/PDIF on Toslink and I2S on RJ45, in response to requests from the market.

Would have been great if this option of my preferred direct i2s output to my Denafrip T+ with 3x i2s inputs was possible for my ex/cx being upgraded but check with Mark indicates that there is simply no space within the smaller chassis even if ex as player will not have its mini pcie with ssds 😔

Cheers.
Let's ask if it can be retrofitted to the S60. My strategy I think is to keep CX/EX and swap p2 for s60.

Aug 26, 2021 at 10:22 PM Post #832 of 2,535
Let's ask if it can be retrofitted to the S60. My strategy I think is to keep CX/EX and swap p2 for s60.
Hi Franken,

I will stay with usb to my Denafrips Terminator+ dac then since having it converted to i2s via another piece of equipment is not what I wish for but sure, having P2 or S60 serve the purpose of alternative output formats for some owners as designed though my P2 is used 100% as a footer and match for P1 😅

Cheers.

PS: I am using the Denafrip Hermes ddc synced to single high Q oxco in the Terminator+ for other sources via i2s to Terminator+ but prefers SQ from usb from the Antipodes. Use of this ddc and single synced clock with i2s input did however benefitted lower usb quality sources of Allo usb signature and Nuprime Omnia S1 players

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2021 at 1:19 AM Post #833 of 2,535
Hi,

Upgraded cx and ex just received .. had not listened and nothing to share of the olandra upgrade ... do not believe I can remember even how pre-upgraded sounded after about 5 weeks.

Nevertheless, the enclosed says it all for me having blue leds version.

Cheers.

Richard

Attachments

• 20210903_131347.jpg
    20210903_131347.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Sep 3, 2021 at 1:48 AM Post #835 of 2,535
Looking good Richard ... all matching! You have some nice gear as well, especially the preamp.
Hi td19,

Thanks thanks ....

Had always wanted the almost dedicated preamp mfgr of Audible Ilusion 3B some 2 decades ago ... tube preamp and SS amp is what I prefer.

Getting to be 60 yrs old and had the L3A blackgate when released and swapped for the L3B last year just before retirement.

Did not get the 3B since I have the separate Aurorasound Vida lcr phono amp and 3B is without remote as well more unneeded phono circuitry, including burning 4 tubes instead of 2 for me.

Cheers.

Richard

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210903-135033_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20210903-135033_Drive.jpg
    580.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 3, 2021 at 5:49 AM Post #836 of 2,535
Upgraded antipodes cx and ex is nice. Daytime listening in my open space living room is like quiet nitetime .. hearing more music will be my comment since lack of reviewer superlatives and ymmv as usual👍🥳

Many thanks Mark ! Especially on the blue leds 🥳🥳

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2021 at 8:37 AM Post #837 of 2,535
Hi Mark, a big thank you for a 2 yrs wish came truth and not forgetting supporting owners of previous statement Antipodes product with possible upgrades to the latest !!

Cheers.

Richard

Attachments

• 20210903_203215.jpg
    20210903_203215.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Sep 3, 2021 at 8:53 AM Post #838 of 2,535
Upgraded antipodes cx and ex is nice. Daytime listening in my open space living room is like quiet nitetime .. hearing more music will be my comment since lack of reviewer superlatives and ymmv as usual👍🥳

Many thanks Mark ! Especially on the blue leds 🥳🥳
Cool! I am very envious.

How are you finding the 3.1 software?

Sep 3, 2021 at 10:40 AM Post #839 of 2,535
Cool! I am very envious.

How are you finding the 3.1 software?
Hi Triode,

AMS 3.1 seems stable for the half day of usage and will report back if any amiss.

Antipodes had nicely created the guides (in progress) at myantipode.com which helped the noob I am who had contacted Antipodes for possible online session this weekend to setup .. but no longer needed since all running fine. I had only gotten myself confused using both LMS and squeezer app as I did not rescan LMS of the 2x4TB ssd that I shipped with the units for upgrade .. all files were intact as there are the 1st gen ripped by P1 which I prefer to keep and not those backed up in my NAS.

The GUI is very intuitive with clearly labelled options for both server and player, softwares, outputs etc. etc. to be defined and had detected my Terminator plus with no trouble at all.

Cheers.

Richard

PS: will share some screenshots during tonite's planned audition when back home before I reconfig my etheregen and afterdark 10m clock between the cx and ex since I bought the 2nd etheregen from wireless mesh to cx.

Sep 3, 2021 at 12:08 PM Post #840 of 2,535
Guides: antipodes.audio/portal/guides/

Attachments

• 20210904_000435.jpg
    20210904_000435.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210904_000505.jpg
    20210904_000505.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210904_000517.jpg
    20210904_000517.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0