CX, EX, K, S, Oladra, Antipodes, Owners Unite
Aug 2, 2020 at 5:49 AM Post #91 of 2,420
There’s quite a bit of technical info on the antipodes site in the support section.
It seems that one of the benefits is a new hybrid linear/switching power supply in the K series and S60 external PSU, whereas CX/EX both have linear PSU’s.
The K50 gets three independent PSU’s but K30 only gets one to power both server and player engine. So even if you don't want to use the reclocked outputs K50 will probably sound better than K30. It will not be cheap however, most likely $20k after tax or £20k in uk.

It will be very interesting to read reviews when these get in circulation. However I am in no rush to trade my EX. There is a nice used CX available now, but I only have budget for one big spend item like this per year. I am hoping that the new models will put downward pressure on the used prices for current models.

Aug 2, 2020 at 5:58 AM Post #92 of 2,420
@andrewd01 thanks for your post I was about to push the button on a second CX EX combo :)

I am thinking of changing the title include the K and S Series any objections anyone ?

I think its probably best to make it a generic catch-all thread for all generations of Antipodes servers, since it is quite a small user group.

Aug 2, 2020 at 6:21 AM Post #93 of 2,420
K50 for myself, if I felt the need, but I don’t right now or the foreseeable future. Concerning title change I had a simililar dilemma , I’d keep the cx ex title and wait for someone that buys a k whatever to start a new thread like you guys did. But just an idea, it’s difficult to have a thread without anyone who actually has one.

Aug 2, 2020 at 7:09 AM Post #94 of 2,420
Definitely keeping the CX EX in the title just wanted to add in the newer models until a new thread appears, problem... if I get the K30 or K50 I be all on my own...:triportsad:

Looking at the user manuals very similar in set up, guess all products will have the similar experiences in the future.

I have put in an email to Antipodes regarding some questions I have.

On Monday I will enquire with the dealer when I can have a demo.

Problem is I want silver not black.

For me the K50 and the K30 should the same SQ, the clock may only be only for external connections in which case I am all in for a silver K30 otherwise the K50.

Edit I See the difference "
The full-width Antipodes K30 is the entry model to the premium K-Series and is designed to deliver a large chunk of the K50's performance at a more affordable price.

The Antipodes K30 integrates two separately powered and isolated computation engines:"

K50 for me

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2020 at 8:21 AM Post #95 of 2,420
I would like to see only one Antipodes thread as the user base will be small. Just retired this year so I doubt I would upgrade unless they had some sort of trade in offer.

Aug 2, 2020 at 8:38 AM Post #96 of 2,420
In the FAQ there is an indication that there might be an upgrade scheme to have some of the new tech installed in legacy products. Perhaps this means you could get the new power supply and/or new main board installed in your CX or EX.

Aug 2, 2020 at 11:57 AM Post #97 of 2,420
considering the blistering product line changes antipodes should offer some type of upgrade path that would reward loyalty within the brand. i mean its been 3 years since i asked the question what's the best way to receive bits to ones DAC. since then DT GS and DX move over for EX and CX move over for n50. Course I'm not complaining, improving the offerings is positive and lets face it, the sounds really good from dx to cx. Still tho some loyalty path would be good.

Aug 3, 2020 at 12:45 PM Post #98 of 2,420
Old news so deleted.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #99 of 2,420
Hey there. Fellow Antipodes owner here, having the CX/EX Solution.

I see a few also use Hqplayer here too. Up until recently, I have been set on PCM 352.8/384 Poly Sinc ext2 and LNS15. Ive recently changed my PSU for my switch to a FARAD Super 3 which really changed the dynamic. With that, what I found quite a flat filter (Sinc-M) truly came to life and is my now preferred filter.

I thought I would see how DSD would compare and I selected 5644800, Sinc-M and ASDM7EC modulator. My DAC is an R2R so I was expecting tit to perform best with PCM, however its not what I heard. even at a lower rate, I found DSD more musical and 3 dimensional (My DAC is limited to PCM 384 or DSD128)

Using Sinc-M LNS15 for PCM 352.8/384 is a total breeze for the CX, however using the DSD settings above truly gives the Cores a work out. Its gone from a leisurely stroll at around 7 - 10% load to 75% load! What ive found with this is that the CX gets very very hot and the green light starts to dim (sort of flash under load). Ive dialled back the bit rate to 3072000 and the load has come right down to around mid 30s and the green light seems stable. The unit is still hot but not to extent it was.

Has anyone else had experiences with DSD in hqplayer? Have you seen the same issues?

Whilst im here, after the news of the K and S series was released, I asked about how they fared against our units. What they did also state is as follows:

"But note this. We are working on developing the parts and processes to enable us to launch an upgrade program for the CX and EX later in 2020. There is quite a lot of work to do before we can launch the program, but it is our policy to offer all new technology innovations in upgrades to our legacy products. There are some exceptions, in terms of which models can be upgraded, but we endeavour to minimise the exceptions as much as possible. An upgraded CX or EX will be very competitive, and the improvement will be very significant. The improvement will be even greater for DX and DS owners."

This was a facebook conversation so its not something that would be secret

Bill

Aug 3, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #100 of 2,420

I see a few also use Hqplayer here too. Up until recently, I have been set on PCM 352.8/384 Poly Sinc ext2 and LNS15. Ive recently changed my PSU for my switch to a FARAD Super 3 which really changed the dynamic. With that, what I found quite a flat filter (Sinc-M) truly came to life and is my now preferred filter.

I thought I would see how DSD would compare and I selected 5644800, Sinc-M and ASDM7EC modulator. My DAC is an R2R so I was expecting tit to perform best with PCM, however its not what I heard. even at a lower rate, I found DSD more musical and 3 dimensional (My DAC is limited to PCM 384 or DSD128)

Using Sinc-M LNS15 for PCM 352.8/384 is a total breeze for the CX, however using the DSD settings above truly gives the Cores a work out. Its gone from a leisurely stroll at around 7 - 10% load to 75% load! What ive found with this is that the CX gets very very hot and the green light starts to dim (sort of flash under load). Ive dialled back the bit rate to 3072000 and the load has come right down to around mid 30s and the green light seems stable. The unit is still hot but not to extent it was.

Has anyone else had experiences with DSD in hqplayer? Have you seen the same issues?

Whilst im here, after the news of the K and S series was released, I asked about how they fared against our units. What they did also state is as follows:

"But note this. We are working on developing the parts and processes to enable us to launch an upgrade program for the CX and EX later in 2020. There is quite a lot of work to do before we can launch the program, but it is our policy to offer all new technology innovations in upgrades to our legacy products. There are some exceptions, in terms of which models can be upgraded, but we endeavour to minimise the exceptions as much as possible. An upgraded CX or EX will be very competitive, and the improvement will be very significant. The improvement will be even greater for DX and DS owners."

Bill

Thanks for sharing your experiences. What are you powering with the Farad? I am also curious to know what DAC you are running. Most of the other antipodes users on this thread are running Chord DAC’s, which prefer PCM.

Aug 3, 2020 at 6:17 PM Post #102 of 2,420
Thanks for sharing your experiences. What are you powering with the Farad? I am also curious to know what DAC you are running. Most of the other antipodes users on this thread are running Chord DAC’s, which prefer PCM.
Hi,

My DAC is the Aqua La Scala MK2 Optologic R2R.

The FARAD is powering the SOtM Snh-10g switch. Quite an upgrade in sound quality over the SOtM sp500 strangely.

I know the Antipodes units aren't cheap but I'm glad I invested in their units. Very good products

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2020 at 7:55 PM Post #103 of 2,420

Bill
One of the CX/EX users on the roon forum also had the heating issues when doing hi rate dsd. I run roon core and hqplayer on my EX but pcm only. Cool as a cucumber. Are you the same Bill by chance?

Aug 3, 2020 at 8:01 PM Post #104 of 2,420
Following a request from a member, I have joined this site and am watching this thread to answer questions. I am not sure how frequently I will be able to contribute, but let's give this a try.

Mark Jenkins, Antipodes Audio Limited.
Hi @Kapiti . Thanks for taking the time to join our little group of Antipodes users. It’s good to see in these uncertain times that Antipodes is able to bring a new line to market. Music certainly has made things more bearable.

Aug 4, 2020 at 12:10 AM Post #105 of 2,420
Welcome Mark and thanks for joining. What is your most reccomended ethernet cable for the CX EX set up?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back