cx-500 broke, <£50 upgrade ideas please :)
Mar 8, 2011 at 3:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Nathen

New Head-Fier
Hello, My cx-500's which I bought off play.com a year or so ago for £18 have finally died. Please can you suggest what my best upgrade option would be? And also where I can get them from? As a student I'd prefer something I could get for the same price range, but would happily stretch it to say £50 if there's something amazing. gives the type of stuff I listen to if it makes a difference. Any help is much appreciated, thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #3 of 5
I'm not sure exactly what kind of music that is on your last.fm profile, but if you like rock/metal, the Xears TD-II's (or TD-III's, I believe they're similar) are very sweet-sounding phones for under 50 euros.  I'm also guessing their overall sound signature is not dissimilar to that of the CX-500's (but a lot better), from what I've read.  Check out the massive 150 multi-iem review thread to see ljokerl's review of these and many, many others.  In fact, perhaps that thread should be your starting point anyways. 

Mar 12, 2011 at 3:44 PM Post #5 of 5
I am currently amazed by the SQ of the Sony MDR-EX500.

They offer a great balance without any loss on attack or presense. I find they can handle any kind of music I have in my pod, which ranges from classical to death metal...

The cable looks fragile however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back