Cute review: Fubar-II, Spitfire, and Big Joe.
Dec 8, 2005 at 5:54 PM Post #16 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by gerG
Thanks for the kind words guys
wink.gif

Magsy, excellent question! After all, the chair is the most critical component in any sound system.

..This is a major issue, since readrests cause reflections that alter the sound and mess up the image.

I have always wanted to do a chair review, but priorities intervene. I can post pics if none are available.

gerG

I agree 100%. I bought a leather recliner thinking it would make the perfect listening chair because of comfort. Only problem is the headrest is too tall and cases reflections behind the head! It is like moving your chair up against the back wall. Chairs are very important in stereo listening and should not be overlooked.

Dec 16, 2005 at 4:30 PM Post #17 of 26
Received the Spitfire today, yay.
eggosmile.gif

Perhaps someone could help me with a little problem which surfaced when using digital out on the X-Fi:

How in the world can I manage volume levels from XP? The output on the DAC is juicy enough that I have very little control over the volume with the PC II - when it's quiet enough, I get channel imbalance. To get rid of the imbalance, I'd have to play at levels that I perceive as loud. Heelp!
frown.gif

Dec 17, 2005 at 5:15 AM Post #18 of 26
Oh yes, the SF has a pretty hot output, at least it is on par with a typical stationary CD player. That's right, I was supposed to measure that wasn't I?

I think the PC-II has 2 gain settings. If it is on high, try the low setting. There are dip switches accessible from the battery compartment. Unfortunately I can't remember which one does what. I can't find the manual for mine.

gerG

Dec 27, 2005 at 2:46 PM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by gerG
Oh yes, the SF has a pretty hot output, at least it is on par with a typical stationary CD player. That's right, I was supposed to measure that wasn't I?

Yes, that would rock!
wink.gif

/JF

Dec 28, 2005 at 4:48 AM Post #20 of 26
ohoops, thanks for the wakeup call!

I fed the SF a -.2 db peak digital signal (-3.2 db rms) and my Fluke 85-3 read 2.15 vrms.

btw, I have been encouraged to roll op-amps. I will give it a shot, but I need to get an adapter to stuff 2 opa627s in there.

Oh, and there are more blocks headed this direction. More fun ahead.

gerG

Dec 28, 2005 at 9:25 AM Post #22 of 26
Great review!

I am curious about how well Big Joe drives the K1000 compares to other popular options such as T-AMP or RKV? In my current location, Big Joe is readily available while other amps are harder to track down. However, I dont want that to criple my options... Definitely thinking about getting a K1000 setup in the near future.

Dec 29, 2005 at 5:23 AM Post #25 of 26
nice. those should take the units to the next level. I'm not a fan of the stock power supplies.

Dec 29, 2005 at 6:06 AM Post #26 of 26
Hi lan!

I am hopeful on the sound improvements. I have already discovered that stacking them is a no-no. They will induce hum into the amp in the config shown. Side by side they seem to work just fine.

gerG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back