Cute review: Fubar-II, Spitfire, and Big Joe.
Dec 4, 2005 at 2:53 AM Post #2 of 26
What can I say, OUTSTANDING!!! I think my credit card will be hotter than Big Joe driving your speakers
blink.gif

Dec 4, 2005 at 4:09 AM Post #4 of 26
Thanks guys, and sorry for any incidental wallet damage.

A minor update:
I was perplexed by this 96 khz sync problem, so I hooked the SF up with the old Phillips 963sa with a 96 khz output. With a 15 ft plastic cable it will not sync, but it seems to like the 3 ft glass cable just fine. Syncs up and sounds great. While I was at it I ran the signal to the optical input of a Grace 901, with the analog output from the SF going to the analog inputs of the same amp. I have been afraid to do this comparison, for good reason as it turns out. So far I like the SF better than the internal DAC of the 901. Rats, this complicates my favorite drag around the house system. I will update the report after some more listening.

gerG

Dec 4, 2005 at 7:57 AM Post #5 of 26
Cheers (I think...)! I admit, I was hoping the Spitfire to have some glaring flaw(s) to curtail my interest in it. Foiled again.
biggrin.gif

Dec 4, 2005 at 7:21 PM Post #6 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by gerG
I was perplexed by this 96 khz sync problem, so I hooked the SF up with the old Phillips 963sa with a 96 khz output. With a 15 ft plastic cable it will not sync, but it seems to like the 3 ft glass cable just fine.

Interesting. My Spitfire was fine with 6ft plastic toslink on 48khz source and 3ft glass on 96khz. I don't have a really long plastic toslink to try this out on 96khz.

Thanks for the review. I guess it's my turn now although I don't think I can produce one like yours since I'm busy and am not feeling well. Well at least I can just sit back and listen to music in the meantime
tongue.gif

Dec 4, 2005 at 8:09 PM Post #7 of 26
Brilliant reviews, many thanks. You addressed the airport express question (no sync issues) about the Spitfire, but could you also specify what the output on it was in absolute terms (I'm assuming in the normal CDP range of 2,0-2,2v)?

Thanks again, amazing work.

/JF

Dec 4, 2005 at 9:10 PM Post #8 of 26
lan, get well soon. The Spitfire + chicken soup is a good combo!

I never had any trouble up to 48 khz with the long plastic cables. All issues were at 96 khz, and the SF and my Behringer never got along at that rate. I did have occasional issues at the lower rates, but turning the SF off and back on would always cure that one.

Luukas, sorry, I couldn't find any glaring flaws. Maybe you could get hung up on the power switch on the back and the plain white dragon logo.

JiiEf, I will have to measure the output. It is at least as hot as a typical CD player. Maybe not a good match for a high gain amp and high sensitivity headphones.

gerG

Dec 4, 2005 at 9:22 PM Post #9 of 26
Get well soon Ian...

gerG, thanks for the great review. Sounds like a sure winner for me being on the college budget. I was looking into several DACs and I think the Spitfire may be the way to go on this one. Should go well with my GLite I think.

*EDIT* I really should learn how to read the WHOLE thread before asking a question... Seems the "what output with an airport express" question was already asked... so I'll go with that one.
icon10.gif

Dec 5, 2005 at 3:19 PM Post #10 of 26
gerG, thanks for the great review! I enjoyed talking to you and, although I'm buying a DAC, I think there will be a Spitfire on the way, one way or the other...
very_evil_smiley.gif
BTW, your system makes me cry. (And the Tivoli 2s that took the Polk RTis' place in my 10x11 apartment bedroom aren't helping.)

Dec 5, 2005 at 6:34 PM Post #11 of 26
Outstanding as usual!

Dec 6, 2005 at 11:30 AM Post #12 of 26
Nice review, a job well done
biggrin.gif

O/T but what is that chair and where can I get one?:p

Dec 6, 2005 at 1:07 PM Post #13 of 26
Thanks for the kind words guys
wink.gif

Magsy, excellent question! After all, the chair is the most critical component in any sound system.

That is actually a video game chair called the "Rocker" by a company called AK (I think). It is very comfortable, rugged, and the rocker rails go clear up the back, so you can tip back and look at the cieling while you listen. For speaker types, it has a narrow headrest! This is a major issue, since headrests cause reflections that alter the sound and mess up the image.

The best part is the price. These go for around $70. I got mine at Costco, and I have seen them at Best Buy. They are made in the USA, so probably not as common in your vecinity. Try the websites for those stores.

I have always wanted to do a chair review, but priorities intervene. I can post pics if none are available.

Oh, one other thing. If you are into star gazing, these chairs are fantastic for dragging outside, rolling back, and scanning the starfield with a set of large binoculars. Take the headphones along for even more fun.

gerG

Dec 6, 2005 at 2:25 PM Post #15 of 26
Thanks gerG!!

That is one awesome chair, more info here if anyone else likes it http://www.ak.com/

Looks like a nice multi purpose chair, with the right style for a gaming/av room
biggrin.gif

Now to find someone who will ship it to the uk!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back