Cute Amps etc.
Nov 2, 2005 at 2:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

jrosenth

Headphoneus Supremus
Not sure if someone has metnioned this but I just saw that the Cute Amp people (see 6 moons and postive feedback reviews) have finally gotten an English-language website up with distribution to the US. These look like they are a generation after the one reviewed at 6 Moons - there is also a DAC, a USB Dac, amp, preamp, etc. Interesting stuff - anyone tried them yet?

Nov 2, 2005 at 2:43 AM Post #2 of 47
Someone posted on them already. To note: If an amp really is "cute looking", then that adds 10db to the sound quality
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
. Or does it?
confused.gif
rolleyes.gif

Nov 2, 2005 at 9:19 AM Post #4 of 47
I like the Cutes ! (externally & internally )
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 4, 2005 at 1:54 PM Post #7 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36
I think 6moons did a few comments on these little amps.

Yes, but the previous versions, unfortunately.

Nov 5, 2005 at 1:13 PM Post #8 of 47
Also interesting about their DAC and USB DAC as well as their little speaker amp and preamp - might be able to make a nice little system with their components and some small speakers to use with a computer, integrating it with one of their headphone amps.

Nov 5, 2005 at 1:23 PM Post #9 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by jrosenth
Also interesting about their DAC and USB DAC as well as their little speaker amp and preamp - might be able to make a nice little system with their components and some small speakers to use with a computer, integrating it with one of their headphone amps.

I've been thinking the same: like, get the headphone amp first, and if I'm happy with my purchase and confident about the brand, pair it with the DAC (so finally my CDP's DAC could retire peacefully
tongue.gif
), and last, given that I crave a small-but-beautiful speaker system too, get the speaker amp and a pair of rather efficient bookshelf speakers, and I'm done! All the electronics that I need in 3 cute and priceworthy bricks. Ain't it nice?
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 5, 2005 at 1:58 PM Post #10 of 47
Damn...i have the cute beyond and dac in the cart...thinking if i should pull the trigger. I've some questions though if anyone can help.

Can my ipod thru pocketdock usb, connect directly to the usb dac and then amp?

Ipod -> pocketdock -> usb cable -> usb dac -> headphone amp -> headphone

What's the diff between class A amp and class ab/dc ( beyond cute and encore ). Which sounds better or would likely sound better?

Thanks,
najib

Nov 5, 2005 at 2:12 PM Post #11 of 47
Sorry, but the iPod doesn't work like that...

The USB is for communicating with a PC only, as it doesn't stream audio through it.

PocketDock Line-Out to Amp is the way to go.

Nov 5, 2005 at 2:18 PM Post #12 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by nabwong
Damn...i have the cute beyond and dac in the cart...thinking if i should pull the trigger.

Heh, I would be in the same situation if I had some ready money to spend now.

Quote:

Can my ipod thru pocketdock usb, connect directly to the usb dac and then amp?

I'm sorry, the ipod is not my thing. I don't have a clue.

Quote:

What's the diff between class A amp and class ab/dc ( beyond cute and encore ). Which sounds better or would likely sound better?

Class A eliminates a source of distortion in the amplifier circuit, so it's surely an advantage in theory. I think that the price of the Beyond may be equal to that of the Encore only temporarily -- the Beyond looks the more ambitious of the two, for me. Probably the Encore would only serve you better if you should need a very high output current (800 mA !), to drive very very inefficient low impedance phones.

In any event, if you should decide to pull the trigger, thanks for doing the 'pioneer' in my place (I was almost resigned) !
redface.gif

Nov 5, 2005 at 2:21 PM Post #13 of 47
I am considering the Spitefire DAC. I am curious how it would compare to the CI VDA-1 and the Micro DAC. I am hoping someone at the Tampa meet has either or both of these DAC's.

Nov 6, 2005 at 10:18 AM Post #15 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by nabwong
I'm doing it. I'm gonna get the Cute Beyond. Will let you know how it sounds when it arrives. I just hope i don't buy anything else when i go to the Boston meet tomorrow. LOL.

Great, congrats & thanks too !
tongue.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back