Cut the blind testing crap
Aug 23, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #76 of 162

Quote:
I thought he was making it a great thread. I don't agree with him but I like to see a different thought process than my own or ones similar to my own. 

I'll admit I'm not being very polite. I also admit that I'm describing things in very abstract terms which is potentially confusing. I like the abstract level. There is a related branch of philosophy called "epistemology." It spawned arguments in abstract philosophy analogous to the level I'm trying to argue about, and one philosopher who weighed into the epistemology question was Ayn Rand, with her philosophy of objectivism. I am very much anti-Any-Rand. Anyway, sometimes people come along and make more concrete examples of what I'm saying and it helps.

Aug 23, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #77 of 162
I like listening to music a lot more than epistemology. In fact, epistemology is kinda like eating slimy spinach. I only do it when I have to.

Aug 23, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #78 of 162

Quote:
I like listening to music a lot more than epistemology. In fact, epistemology is kinda like eating slimy spinach. I only do it when I have to.

You are kind of saying what I'm saying.

When the OP said "there is nothing we can't measure," he was talking epistemology without realizing it.

If you have any of your own methods, be they subjective or objective, for evaluating the behavior of an audio device, you have a personal epistemology.

I'm speaking on a abstract level to support the idea that the most important knowledge comes from listening.

Aug 23, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #79 of 162
You missed my point. I don't like listening. I like listening to MUSIC. Arguing about measuring sound in the abstract is like looking at a birthday cake and arguing whether the sugar and flour were measured in cups and tablespoons or metric. It doesn't matter. Just eat it.

Aug 23, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #80 of 162

Quote:
You missed my point. I don't like listening. I like listening to MUSIC. Arguing about measuring sound in the abstract is like looking at a birthday cake and arguing whether the sugar and flour were measured in cups and tablespoons or metric. It doesn't matter. Just eat it.

I might have missed your point. When I speak of listening, I only listen to music, so that's what I meant. I also don't think measurements are very useful.  I would argue that eating the cake is the true experience, while measurements of ingredients are peripheral and abstract. I've actually been saying the same thing, that measurements are abstract. That's what I mean by saying measurements are model parameters, not reality.

Does any of this capture your point?

The only thing I can think is that I'm arguing on a theoretical level so it's a bit deceptive, maybe I'm obfuscating the more concrete fact that I make listening primary.

The other thing is that maybe you aren't interested in comparing audio devices? Maybe you aren't interested in "getting a feel" for them in the sense you get to know their personality and sometimes guess how they will sound with a particular piece of music?

Aug 23, 2011 at 9:14 PM Post #81 of 162
Now about this statement "beauty/quality don't exist in sound waves"-- that is a red herring. The actual point is that a system which changes the sound waves changes the perception. And the ONLY ultimate evaluation of whether a system is adequately transparent is perception.

I also think you must be joking to claim measurements are relevant to anything divorced from the concept of perception.

So very wrong. Mike, you have the most distorted understanding of sound of anyone I've ever communicated with. I'm honestly not trying to be insulting, I'm just astonished at how you have arrived at such a misguided view of how sound and perception work. All sound is just sine waves travelling through air with only two components; frequency and amplitude, nothing else! Anything else you "hear", like beauty or emotion is just an interpretation created by your brain. Sorry to burst your bubble Mike but this is elementary and indisputable science.

You are missing the point. You claim that "we can measure everything" as though that were an obvious statement. You probably think that 24 bit/96 KHz equipment can measure more than 16 bit/44.1 KHz equipment.

No, no one is claiming that we can measure your perception of what you are hearing only the components of sound (frequency and amplitude). And yes, we can measure and record far more with 24/95 than we can with 16/44.1 whether you or anyone else can perceive that additional information is another question entirely.

Personally, I don't think we have measures for how well equipment reproduces musical feeling-- that real stuff that musicians study and work together to produce. But another point which even you should agree with is that it is ridiculous to say "we can measure everything" as though that were a trivial statement.

You cannot measure musical feeling or any other aspect of how you perceive sound and no equipment in the world can create or recreate musical feeling, all the equipment can do is record and recreate the sound waves. Your brain interprets certain combinations of sound waves as musical, beautiful, etc. A composer/musician/producer knows these rules of brain interpretation (aural illusions) and uses them to elicit a desired respond from you but it's all illusion! A recording or playback system doesn't know about these emotional aural illusions and doesn't need to know, all it has to do is recreate the frequency and amplitude of the sound waves as accurately as possible.

As soon as you say "the sound the engineer wanted you to hear", what you mean is the perception the engineer wanted you to perceive. If you think there is any reality to the idea of "sound he wanted you to hear," any reality to measurements of that divorced from the context of perception, you are really being silly.

You are mixing up terms here Mike. The sound which enters your ear is a small percentage of what you hear, the McGurk Effect should have proved that that to you. As a professional sound engineer of 20 years and a highly trained classical musician before that, I can assure you that it's all about the "idea of sound he wanted you to hear". I know that if I manipulate frequency and amplitude I can create an illusion. For example lets say I record two instruments, A & B. One of them (let's say B) I reduce it's amplitude by say 6dB and EQ filter 6dB/8ve above say 2kHz and add some echo (repeats of the sound waves at diminishing amplitudes). What I have done is modified the sound waves, they are still sound waves, they are still entirely (100%) describable in terms of only frequency and amplitude. However I know that your brain will interpret the processing I have done and will hear instrument B as being further away (more distant) than instrument A. I know this because I know a fair amount about the perceptual hearing processes of the human brain, it's my job. The reality is though, that's it's all just sound waves and instrument A and B were exactly the same distance away when recorded. All of music and sound production is creating illusions of width, depth, emotion, etc., but it is just illusions, none of that information is stored in the sound waves, just as the word "Far" was not stored in the sound waves you heard on the McGurk Effect clip.

What you are probably saying is that if we have two waveforms, A and B, and we all agree they have different feeling, and then we measure A and B, we will easily discover they are different waveforms. But that is not the same as measuring perceptual qualities of the waveform. 

How many times Mike, there are no perceptual qualities of the waveforms to measure, the only qualities waveforms have is frequency and amplitude. Anything perceptual is created by your brain in response to an illusion we have created (like the word "Far"). For the last time Mike, what the McGurk Effect proves is that all humans are incapable of hearing reality (uninterpreted sound waves), instead your brain creates a manufactured model of reality and that's what you "hear ".

It's for this reason that your hearing is a completely inappropriate tool for judging transparency. Let's say you have a DAC which measures linearly except that it adds a big distortion at say 19kHz. I can measure this easily but you won't be able to hear it. You would conclude that your DAC is transparent, I would conclude (from the measurements) that the only explanation for your DAC to have so little transparency is that it's actually malfunctioning!

I hope you can gain something from this post Mike, if not then I think you'll have to go your merry way with your concept of the emotional waveforms.

G

Aug 23, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #82 of 162
I believe that mike was describing putting soundwaves together in such a manner that they create the illusion of "beauty". I think you guys are bickering over semantics now.

Aug 23, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #83 of 162

Quote:
I think you guys are bickering over semantics now.

You've got that right.  Philosophy and definitions are what this always distills down to, rather than actually concentrating on the science.

Aug 23, 2011 at 10:32 PM Post #84 of 162

Quote:
You are mixing up terms here Mike. The sound which enters your ear is a small percentage of what you hear, the McGurk Effect should have proved that that to you. As a professional sound engineer of 20 years and a highly trained classical musician before that, I can assure you that it's all about the "idea of sound he wanted you to hear". I know that if I manipulate frequency and amplitude I can create an illusion. For example lets say I record two instruments, A & B. One of them (let's say B) I reduce it's amplitude by say 6dB and EQ filter 6dB/8ve above say 2kHz and add some echo (repeats of the sound waves at diminishing amplitudes). What I have done is modified the sound waves, they are still sound waves, they are still entirely (100%) describable in terms of only frequency and amplitude. However I know that your brain will interpret the processing I have done and will hear instrument B as being further away (more distant) than instrument A. I know this because I know a fair amount about the perceptual hearing processes of the human brain, it's my job. The reality is though, that's it's all just sound waves and instrument A and B were exactly the same distance away when recorded. All of music and sound production is creating illusions of width, depth, emotion, etc., but it is just illusions, none of that information is stored in the sound waves, just as the word "Far" was not stored in the sound waves you heard on the McGurk Effect clip.

You wrote a lot of stuff, so let my try to address just one thing and see where it gets us.

I explained why optical or aural illusions have nothing to do with transparency. The McGurk effect has nothing to do with transparency. Can we start by having you read and answer that post?

Aug 23, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #85 of 162
Gregorio-- By the way I worked as a scientist for many years before I left to pursue a DMA in music composition. You may be a very experienced at manipulating sound, but I don't think that's reason you are shocked by my opinions. I think the reason is that you have a (probably unconscious) epistemology in which objective things are "real" and subjective things are "not real." It shocks you to discover that an intelligent, informed person could put the emphasis the other way.

EDIT: to be more exact, I put them more on an equal basis than you, and you have a VERY rigid attitude toward this. Notice how every time you refer to perception you use the word "just"-- it's "just" our perception. I think that's completely misguided.

Aug 24, 2011 at 12:34 AM Post #90 of 162
Measurements are useful to the extent that they help improve the enjoyment of music. When they stray into theory for theory's sake, measuring things that human ears can't possibly hear, I lose interest. Likewise, flowery verbal diahrrea pretending to describe vague emotional reactions to sound makes me glaze over as well.

If it doesn't help me make my music sound better, I'm not interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back