Cut the blind testing crap
Aug 25, 2011 at 8:21 PM Post #106 of 162

Quote:

I don't believe anyone who knows what they're doing would choose colored presentation "for fun". Balanced response is the most "fun" sound you can get.

And I just happen to think that listening is the proper way to determine if something is balanced. In particular I listen to see if it can get musical effects right-- musical feeling and emotion. That presumes I know what the original musicians intended, which is sometimes the case. Other times, there are indirect means to check (less reliable, but still makes the musical feeling and emotion primary).

Aug 26, 2011 at 1:50 AM Post #107 of 162

Let me go into more detail with gregorio's post here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregorio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Neuroscience tells us that only a small fraction of the sensory input to the brain is processed, to process it all we would require a brain 5 or so times bigger than it's current size. The vast majority of the sensory input to our brain is discarded, what is left is used to manufacture a model of reality. What sensory information is discarded and what is retained and how the model is constructed depends largely on experience (that's how cultural differences affect audio perception). Which is why it's impossible to predict everyone's responses, we all have different experience.

Yes, subjective experience is a combination of what is heard and how we model that internally (including what we bring to the model that is not something we heard). So how does this fact affect the strategies we use (1) to design, compose, or perform sound? (2) To evaluate audio equipment?

Now let me point out how, over and over, you make a contrast between "what we heard" and "reality"--

Quote:
The McGurk Effect proves that our perception of what we hear is a rather vague approximation of the sound entering our ears and that the approximation we create can easily be fooled. (i.e. the sound entering our ears vs the internal model)

they are able to perceive more accurately what they are hearing
They have effectively trained their brains to retain more aural information and to build a more accurate perception of what they hear. (ie. one can train to have a more accurate perception)

their perception is far from truly accurate, bearing in mind that the ear is non-linear device in the first place.  (i.e. non-linearity makes the ear fallible)

The audiophiles have trained their hearing against abstract values and the audio professionals (should) have trained their hearing against measured reality. (ie. trainable to improve "reality"; implication that measurements are reality)

partly about the measurements and reality of sound waves (

Then we can see the reason why you feel so strongly about this:

Quote:
I would go as far as to say that my understanding of the perception of hearing vs. the reality of sound waves is more than partly responsible for my professional survival and success.

I think that you are good at what you do because you know what you want and how to get it. I think the way you express your underlying philosophy is nonsense, but I don't know if that directly compromises your work.

On the other hand, I would not hire you to design equipment for me, that's for sure.

Let me try to make my own viewpoint clear.

First, let's go back to a time before recording. All we had was live music. Let's say we have a young student learning the violin. The violin teacher asks him to play in a certain way. He makes an attempt. He gets it partly right. He can hear that it was wrong, but he's not sure why. Maybe it was too fast, too slow. Too dark a tone, too bright. Too much attack. Too smooth. Could be anything. But he's not sure.

The teacher can tell more precisely what he did wrong. She has trained her ear. She can guide the student to make changes in the way he plays.

When he is young, he gives a recital. He doesn't play all that well, and the audience can tell that. The audience is made mostly of non-musicians, so they can't say in detail what's wrong.

But over time, with the guidance of the expert ear of the teacher, he gains skill. His own ear improves so that he can guide himself more precisely.

He gives a recital. People in the audience who are not musicians can hear the improvement. Again, they can't say in detail why it's better, but they certainly can tell.

So what is the importance of having a good ear? One thing is the ability to navigate your choices toward the desired goal. If you can tell more precisely what's going on, you stand a better chance of guiding the process. But there is a caveat, see below.

Now let's bring in the idea of measurements. Let's say we have a tuner device that tells the student if he is sharp or flat from the expected pitch in a given tuning system. This can help him to improve his pitch. Before his own ear can hear clearly, the device can tell him what he's doing.

But the situation is not that simple. There is no single tuning system, and violinists are free to choose how to tune notes and chords. So how do they choose a precise pitch? By judging the subjective experience it creates.

Listening and subjective experience are primary.

What if the student came to his teacher and said, "I used the tuner device and I think it's improved my playing." Then the teacher listens to the student and says, "No, I'm sorry but the overall effect has been made worse."

Now suppose the student said, "Well, you know teacher, you are just a fallible human being with a non-linear ear, and the tuner is a device that measures reality so I'm sticking with my way."

I think it's easy to see how silly that student is being.

Now the caveat about having a good ear-- let's say your ear is 10 times better than the average person's. But let's say you are making music to be heard by an average person. Why does having a good ear help, then? After all they won't hear it the same way you do. I claim the primary benefit is the ability to guide the process toward a result that can be perceived by an average person. Perceived. In other words, perception is still primary.

Aug 26, 2011 at 2:48 AM Post #108 of 162
And I just happen to think that listening is the proper way to determine if something is balanced. In particular I listen to see if it can get musical effects right-- musical feeling and emotion.

That has everything to do with the performers and very little to do with the quality of the sound. One of the most emotional listening experiences I have ever heard is Walter's recording of Mahler's 9th with the Vienna Philharmonic. The orchestra knew that soon the Nazis would take over Austria and the greatest orchestra in the world would never be the same. They played their heart out onto 78rpm disks. Likewise, I've heard sumptious modern recordings of conductors and orchestras that couldn't feel their way out of a paper bag.

All we can expect a stereo to do is to faithfully play back sound as it was recorded. If it does it well, everything is balanced and no frequencies overpower any other frequencies. Sound waves don't make a person cry, the ideas embodied in them does. You might as well expect emotion from a rock as expect it from a DAC.

Aug 26, 2011 at 2:57 AM Post #109 of 162
Let me go into more detail with gregorio's post here: (snip) I think the way you express your underlying philosophy is nonsense, but I don't know if that directly compromises your work. On the other hand, I would not hire you to design equipment for me, that's for sure.

I got that far and stopped reading. You will receive the same respect you give. Your reputation is affected by how you treat others' reputations. Act like a horse's ass and get dismissed as one.

Aug 26, 2011 at 9:36 AM Post #110 of 162
Gregorio- I think you're confusing describing a signal with modeling a behavior. A signal can be described as containing certain frequencies and amplitudes. A behavior is much more complex than that. If you are talking here about a transfer function of a linear system as described by frequency and amplitude, then that is a model of a behavior, but one that assumes the device is linear, which it never is.

Regarding illusion, you don't give any evidence of having read my prior post. I'll give it one more try. Let's draw an analogy from an optical illusion. I don't remember the details, but there is some kind of disk with black-and-white patterns that, when spun, gives the illusion of color. If you watch this disk in person and see the illusion, and then videotape it and see the illusion on your TV, then the video camera and TV are sufficiently transparent for the purposes of conveying the illusion.

Or take Shepard's tones, the illusion of an infinitely rising pitch. Say we set up a Shepard's tones demonstration using live instruments (tricky but good players could pull it off). We hear this illusion live. Then we record it and play it on speakers. If we still hear the illusion, then the recording chain is sufficiently transparent to convey the illusion.

You say that a device can never be linear - You can't have it both ways Mike. Using sensitive enough measuring devices we can measure non-linearities in any piece of equipment. However, setting measurement devices to a level considerably beyond the physical limitations of the human ear, there is in fact quite a lot of pro-audio equipment which is absolutely linear. Baring in mind that the most sensitive measuring equipment is probably 1000 times (or so) more sensitive than human hearing. BTW, I'm not talking about the limitations of the perception of sound I'm talking about the actual physical limitations of the ear.

"Sufficiently Transparent" - So now you are completely changing your argument. By your definition and using your analogy I could have a truly appalling quality TV but providing I could still perceive the visual illusion you would consider it "sufficiently transparent". Your concept of transparent is irrelevant, as approximately 100% of the people who had ever seen a TV before would disagree with you.

Let me go into more detail with gregorio's post here .......

Your last post provides very strong supporting evidence for my argument, the fact you used this example to try and prove the opposite is proof that you have almost no understanding of the nature of sound and the nature of music, I think you still have quite a way to go in your studies.

The existence of musical notes is a perception of the human brain. A single note on a violin is not in reality a single entity but a whole bunch of frequencies (fundamental + harmonics) but our brain just perceives this collection of frequencies as a single note and no two notes (regardless of how identical they are perceived to be) are ever identical if the frequency content is accurately measured. A musician/producer is attempting to create art and by definition that means it's designed to be perceived by human beings. This means, to a musician that a "good ear" is far preferable to an "accurate ear". For example, perfect pitch is a very useful tool for a musician but absolute pitch is a handicap. So, an understanding of perception is paramount for the performer/composer/producer. Your example of the electronic tuner proves my point, an electronic device is not the best way of measuring something which is based on perception. Just as the reverse is true, something based on perception (your hearing for example) is not the best way of measuring the electrical performance of an electronic device.

Just about all your arguments are entirely valid for the performance and listening enjoyment of music but completely irrelevant for recording and playback equipment. A recording chain is designed simply to capture the sound waves accurately created by the musician/producer, embedded in these sound waves is all the perceptual content, the same way as a video camera can capture an optical illusion without having to know anything about how the brain perceives photons. In other words, we can measure the input (frequency and amplitude) to the recording chain and compare these measurements with what comes out of the playback chain, if they measure the same we can 100% guarantee that any perceptual content created by the musician/producer is also reproduced perfectly. We cannot do this with the ear, one person might perceive two identical notes (for example), another might perceive some slight variation between the two notes which creates a different emotional response. If we design an audio system based purely on whether or not someone likes it, we can be sure of two things; 1. A very large percentage of people won't like the system because everyone perceives slightly differently and has different value systems and 2. There is a very small chance that the system will be in anyway accurate, so no one will ever know if what they are perceiving has anything to do with the music (the perceptual intentions of the musician/producer).

The goal of a transparent audio system is to reproduce precisely the same frequencies and amplitudes as entered the system, then what the listener hears is dependent on only the perceptive abilities of the listener and the skill of the musician/producer and has nothing to do with any electronics in between. When measuring the accuracy (transparency) of a system, we want to measure the accuracy of the system not the accuracy of a listener (who we know is going to be inaccurate)! Why Mike, is this simple concept so beyond your grasp?

G

Aug 26, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #112 of 162
x2! That's what I use mine for 
bigsmile_face.gif
. In fact, that's the only thing I use mine for... 

Quote:

Recording and playback equipment perform music for listening enjoyment.

Aug 26, 2011 at 1:31 PM Post #113 of 162
I think my desire for data is for a pragmatic reason, simply that it's a basis for comparison. Reading a subjective review, to me, is like reading something written partially in a language foreign to me. I can't use it as well as something written entirely in English (in my case
biggrin.gif
). In order to do so I'd have to be of the same exact mind as the person who wrote it. The likelihood of me being soul mates with every subjective reviewer seems very low. I don't even completely agree with my wife sometimes (imagine that!)

When a frequency response graph is used I can understand what it means. I can understand its limitations. There is commonality in the language used. Whether or not this is a complete description of MY experience is irrelevant. It's the best tool for comparison. Emotional responses are great, but they aren't a tool for comparison. If you want to write emotional responses, maybe you'd could write a good novel instead.

Aug 26, 2011 at 1:33 PM Post #114 of 162
Recording and playback equipment perform music for listening enjoyment.

Well, hopefully you can find a playback system that can produce some happy happy electrons, so your speakers can create some happy happy sound waves and then you can sit in your little bubble happy in the knowledge that your playback system is performing great music. Maybe one day we can even do away with those annoying musicians and composers and just have DACs which massage your perception with musicality. Enjoy your trolling.

Aug 26, 2011 at 1:37 PM Post #115 of 162
This discussion has degenerated. If I xerox a sonet by Shakespere the machine isn't eloquent. Musicians perform music for listening enjoyment. Stereo equipment just duplicates it and plays it back. Say goodnight, Gracie.

Aug 26, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #116 of 162
Ah, then you probably loved the original Audio and Stereo Review mags (legends in their day) and the current Consumer Reports. 

Quote:
I think my desire for data is for a pragmatic reason, simply that it's a basis for comparison. Reading a subjective review, to me, is like reading something written partially in a language foreign to me. I can't use it as well as something written entirely in English (in my case
biggrin.gif
). In order to do so I'd have to be of the same exact mind as the person who wrote it. The likelihood of me being soul mates with every subjective reviewer seems very low. I don't even completely agree with my wife sometimes (imagine that!)

When a frequency response graph is used I can understand what it means. I can understand its limitations. There is commonality in the language used. Whether or not this is a complete description of MY experience is irrelevant. It's the best tool for comparison. Emotional responses are great, but they aren't a tool for comparison. If you want to write emotional responses, maybe you'd could write a good novel instead.

Aug 26, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #117 of 162

Quote:
Well, hopefully you can find a playback system that can produce some happy happy electrons, so your speakers can create some happy happy sound waves and then you can sit in your little bubble happy in the knowledge that your playback system is performing great music. Maybe one day we can even do away with those annoying musicians and composers and just have DACs which massage your perception with musicality. Enjoy your trolling.

Well as long as we are engaging in gross misrepresentation of what the other is saying---

Enjoy your work. May you keep your eyes on measurements and your ears closed.

Aug 26, 2011 at 7:12 PM Post #118 of 162

Quote:
This discussion has degenerated. If I xerox a sonet by Shakespere the machine isn't eloquent. Musicians perform music for listening enjoyment. Stereo equipment just duplicates it and plays it back. Say goodnight, Gracie.

It would have been less semantically obfuscated if I had said the playback equipment "participates" in the performance. Basically the idea you are espousing, that a musical performance is something entirely separate from an audio playback chain, is entirely inadequate to explain my day-to-day experience with live and recorded music. To me (and probably not to you or Gregorio or else you would care), playback distortion can be perceived as an alteration in a performance. It can happen that a recorded performance sounds like a bad performance, but--if all we have is the end recorded product--there is no fundamentally reliable way to tell if that's because the musicians screwed it up or the audio chain screwed it up. It can go the other way, too.

Therefore, evaluating an audio chain is not a separate issue from evaluating a musical performance.

Aug 26, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #119 of 162
Caruso didn't need digital sound to bring tears to listener's eyes. He was able to do it without computers, without microphones, and without electricity. Distortion doesn't preclude musical enjoyment. Technology is just the conduit between performer and listener- nothing more. Thankfully, it's all moot anyway, because since 1952, recording technology has been able to fully reproduce the full range of human hearing with a high degree of accuracy.

Aug 26, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #120 of 162
"Thankfully, it's all moot anyway, because since 1952, recording technology has been able to fully reproduce the full range of human hearing with a high degree of accuracy." This seems to contradict the first part, "Caruso didn't need digital sound to bring tears to listener's eyes. He was able to do it without computers, without microphones, and without electricity."

While I enjoy my music system, and it is well above average, it will never replace the live performances I regularly attend. If only accuracy was all that's needed. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back