Customs vs Universal IEMs
May 30, 2010 at 8:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

JiPod

100+ Head-Fier
Ladies (and Gentlemen):

I've been playing with my UM "customs" for about 4 days now.  Total 50 hours burn-in, 8 hours listening.

I'm curious and would like to ask the opinion of those who own both a custom and a universal IEM.  Considering how deep into the ear a custom is situated, minimalizing any effect the different parts of the ear has on sound as it travels from the sound source to the ear drum,

1. is it possible to generate the same sound stage with a custom, that is in comparison to a universal IEM?; and
2. can the ear drum be overwhelmed with the amount of "information" it is presented with, translating this into "muddiness (I.e. less separation and less detail)"?

May 31, 2010 at 11:20 PM Post #2 of 19
*Bump*

Anyone?

Jun 1, 2010 at 12:32 AM Post #3 of 19

Quote:
Ladies (and Gentlemen):

I've been playing with my UM "customs" for about 4 days now.  Total 50 hours burn-in, 8 hours listening.

I'm curious and would like to ask the opinion of those who own both a custom and a universal IEM.  Considering how deep into the ear a custom is situated, minimalizing any effect the different parts of the ear has on sound as it travels from the sound source to the ear drum,

1. is it possible to generate the same sound stage with a custom, that is in comparison to a universal IEM?; and
2. can the ear drum be overwhelmed with the amount of "information" it is presented with, translating this into "muddiness (I.e. less separation and less detail)"?

You're not serious right? The whole point of speakers is to artificially reproduce sounds at the best of their ability we hear in our daily lives. The higher quality the audio setup is, the more realistic the music sounds, but still it won't sound as real as real life. How ears can easily pick the sound we hear from real instruments.

Jun 1, 2010 at 8:45 AM Post #4 of 19
Jipod, could you please upload the frequency response of your se530 custom 6 drivers? I believe muddiness is not something like the ear drum is being overwhelmed with too much information. Lower frequency range that is too forward might make the higher frequency range sounds recessed, hence the muddiness. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Jun 1, 2010 at 11:09 PM Post #5 of 19

Quote:

You're not serious right? The whole point of speakers is to artificially reproduce sounds at the best of their ability we hear in our daily lives. The higher quality the audio setup is, the more realistic the music sounds, but still it won't sound as real as real life. How ears can easily pick the sound we hear from real instruments.

Were you addressing any of my questions?  If not, what exactly are you insinuating?

Jun 1, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #6 of 19

Quote:
Jipod, could you please upload the frequency response of your se530 custom 6 drivers? I believe muddiness is not something like the ear drum is being overwhelmed with too much information. Lower frequency range that is too forward might make the higher frequency range sounds recessed, hence the muddiness. Correct me if I'm wrong.

As I do not have them on hand, give me a couple of days to upload the FR graphs.

You do make a very valid point.

Jun 1, 2010 at 11:53 PM Post #7 of 19
JiPod I get the impression that you are not satisfied with your UM 6 driver customs?

Or rather not what you had expected? Is this correct?

Jun 2, 2010 at 1:31 AM Post #8 of 19

Quote:
JiPod I get the impression that you are not satisfied with your UM 6 driver customs?

Or rather not what you had expected? Is this correct?

These being my first customs, I really didn't know what to expect.  These are a different listening experience compared to the SE530.

In general, put aside sound signature, how did you find your pre-remold JH13s in comparison to the SE530?

Jun 2, 2010 at 1:37 AM Post #9 of 19
JiPod - Even though the JH13s were not my ear impressions, I was able to use them for a few weeks and found them to be a BIG step up from the 530s. I was quite impressed, and that was before remolding and without getting a solid seal. Cannot wait for the remolds to arrive.

Jun 3, 2010 at 1:42 AM Post #10 of 19

Quote:

What do you make of this?

Before/After

Jun 3, 2010 at 11:29 PM Post #12 of 19

Quote:
The second graph can't possibly be listenable, can it? That's a nasty 10db+ peak around 5khz.

Listenable?  Yes, quite listenable actually.  I know graphs don't tell the whole story, but wsoelivan requested them.

Jun 3, 2010 at 11:34 PM Post #13 of 19
That should make the treble more prominent, giving it a bit more 'zing' and 'twang'. I suppose the treble is more sparkly now? The mid (200-1000kHz) seems to be toned down a notch. So Jipod, what's your initial impression of the modded se530? 

Jun 4, 2010 at 1:11 AM Post #14 of 19

Quote:
That should make the treble more prominent, giving it a bit more 'zing' and 'twang'. I suppose the treble is more sparkly now? The mid (200-1000kHz) seems to be toned down a notch. So Jipod, what's your initial impression of the modded se530? 

Please refer to my review.

Jun 4, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #15 of 19

Quote:

Based on previously using ER4P, SF5p, UE11 and JH16:

1. Yes. ER4P definitely had a smaller soundstage than UE11 and JH16. Having said that, can't remember the size of the SF5p soundstage in comparison.
2. No. SF5p was worse than ER4p in detail/separation across the range, and UE11 and JH16 are equal or better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back