Customs Hell
Mar 3, 2009 at 6:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

FSonicSmith

100+ Head-Fier
I seem to have the worst of luck.
I was remotely conscious of the fact that if I ordered a product from China, it COULD be held up by customs but I figured "what's the chance of that?".
Well, wouldn't you know, my amp is being held at JFK's customs department for possible "trademark violations". I was told this when I decided to look up the number for JFK's customs dept and gave them a call. They were none to friendly by the way. The amp is a very well known and oft-discussed amp on this board and from my few previous posts, it would not take a genius to figure out which one, but since it is not the manufacturer's fault I am not going to list it here.
I am being told by JFK's customs department that yes, my amp has been taken out of the packaging, inspected, and will likely be inspected some more until they are ready to release it. They have had it for a week so far (since 2/25) and they tell me they are under no obligation to release it under any set period of time. USPS tells me that the only obligation of US Customs is to notify me within 45 days (!!!) that my package has been "quarantined".
I went back and re-read the fine print on the terms of sale and the ad does say:
"International Buyers – Please Note:

Import duties, taxes and charges are not included in the item price or shipping charges. These charges are the buyer’s responsibility.
Please check with your country’s customs office to determine what these additional costs will be prior to bidding/buying."

But I have never seen anyone relate any bad experience of having to pay such duties with respect to this oft-discussed product.

I don't think I will order an amp from China again. Something in my gut told me that a Ray Samuels HR2 would be the best way to go.
Anybody else have any bad experience with US customs?

Mar 3, 2009 at 6:42 PM Post #2 of 44
That sounds like a major hassle. Sorry for the trouble!
frown.gif

Hopefully they end up finding it to not be a trademark violation and release it.

Mar 3, 2009 at 6:54 PM Post #3 of 44
Thanks. Of course they are not going to find a "trademark violation". That is just their excuse to randomly open a package and put their ham fisted mits all over an electronic product in a vain attempt to justify their jobs. If they wish to x-ray it and verify that it does not contain a detonation device for the sake of homeland security, I understand. To keep it for a week or two or six(!!!) just to be a pain in the butt is a whole nuther matter, but there is of course not a single thing I can do. Like I said above, I could have purchased here in the US. That's what I am thinking I should have done.

Mar 3, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #4 of 44
i think customs has been pretty harsh recently. i have ordered a ipod LOD and 3.5mm to 3.5mm on ebay, shipped from china. for almost a week, it still says foreign dispatch international in the tracking.

Mar 3, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #5 of 44
Sei Kiel! Vee Vill Hold Your Suspicious Device Unteel Furthurr Notice!!!
By Order Of The BurgerMeister MeisterBurger Himself!!!

You Vill Never See Your World Destroyer Mechanism Again!
very_evil_smiley.gif

People have too much freekin time and power on their hands.
They cant see its an amp and spend their much needed time on finding weapons of mass destruction?
wink.gif

Mar 3, 2009 at 7:45 PM Post #6 of 44
Thanks for sharing with us. I get "stuff" from China almost on a weekly basis and even the postman is now kidding me about it! I guess that we're all going to have to become more aware of the potential problems with international sales.

Mar 3, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #8 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by FSonicSmith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks. Of course they are not going to find a "trademark violation". That is just their excuse to randomly open a package and put their ham fisted mits all over an electronic product in a vain attempt to justify their jobs.

Ok, I take your word on it..
Cause without knowing which amplifier talked about (brand/model) its impossible for me to know..

Mar 3, 2009 at 9:31 PM Post #9 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sei Kiel! Vee Vill Hold Your Suspicious Device Unteel Furthurr Notice!!!
By Order Of The BurgerMeister MeisterBurger Himself!!!

You Vill Never See Your World Destroyer Mechanism Again!
very_evil_smiley.gif

People have too much freekin time and power on their hands.
They cant see its an amp and spend their much needed time on finding weapons of mass destruction?
wink.gif

funny....

especially in light of the fact that my SO is german and lives in .de - and when I sent her things (or she sends stuff to me) it always gets hung up in 'customs' or perhaps never even shows up at all!

one time I sent her an mp3/storage device. I bought it at a local store, wrapped it up (along with a nice card that I signed) and yet this got flagged as a 'commercial transaction' (HUH??) and they forced her to pay some receipt tax or duty on it! clearly CLEARLY it was a gift but they made her pay quite a lot on it and also forced her to find something that listed what its value was (it was a GIFT you morans, in the truest of meanings!).

she was in tears for what they put her thru, just to RECEIVE a gift I sent her.

I have tried to avoid using the mail since then. she has also lost pkgs that were to be sent to me.

they just 'never show up'.

its sad. even more sad is that no one is there to 'watch the watchers'. so nothing improves ;(

Mar 3, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #10 of 44
Question: Did you order through an Ebay Vendor or through an authorized dealer? That's a huge difference. How do you know the item in question is not in fact violating trademark issues if you bought from a discount source?

I ordered an amp from China and had it my hands within three business days and arrived before noon.

But with the same Amp, it was stuck in customs for another Head-Fier for over a week. I don't think it's China's fault or having anything to do with China, but customs being morons. If it had something to do with China, well I think the global economy would slow to a halt considering how much of the world depends on China's exports... But even if it takes longer at customs, you save on labor, get more on quality parts. It's worth waiting for IMO.

Mar 3, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #12 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"you save on labor"

yeah. like 'optional' steps such as QC....

fwiw.

That's bullcrap and you know it. QC is up to the company. Asus products from China, Audio-gd from China and Audio Technica cans made in China all have excellent QC. So far people have had great results with Woo Audio and Dark Voice and others here. Keep your prejudice views and generalizations to yourself. It's just wrong.

You have issues with specific companies, then say so, but don't generalize to an entire country or ethnicity.

Completely lame...

Mar 3, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #14 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's bullcrap and you know it. QC is up to the company. Asus products from China, Audio-gd from China and Audio Technica cans made in China all have excellent QC. Keep your prejudice views and generalizations to yourself. It's just wrong.

You have issues with specific companies, then say so, but don't generalize to an entire country or ethnicity.

Oh, give me a break.
rolleyes.gif
This is an absurd degree of political correctness. He's not casting aspersions on a race of people, anymore than if someone said "American-made cars stink."

Mar 3, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #15 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh, get off your high horse, will ya?

nice of you to 'pull the race card' even though it was never in play...

sheesh.

Why even bother making such a statement? It's not funny and doesn't lead to anything good. Yeah I make stupid comments once in a while, but I don't offend an entire country... Refraining from racist jokes is not being overly political correct, especially since this forum is both public and international.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back