Customs for Etymotic ER-4
Dec 28, 2011 at 7:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

wacomme

100+ Head-Fier
I'm now reconsidering using the Ety Custom program. I'm a little nonplussed by so many people not liking the Microsonic ear molds (bad fit, affects sound). It seems that the customs from Westone and Sensaphonics are better. Same silicone material?

Anyhow, the reason I'm considering the Ety program is that in addition to the $100 cost, I can use the same impression for Microsonic to make a set of custom sleeping ear plugs for an additional $67. This seems like a good deal. I currently using foamies for night sleeping (my wife snores), but my ears hurt a little each morning. I'm hoping custom plugs fix this problem. And for $170 I can have custom plugs for sleeping and my ear phones.

I was heading down the Shure Olives route; seems simpler than the custom. But customs for sleeping could be the cat's meow. Is there anything "wrong" with custom IEMs?

Dec 28, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #2 of 4
Etymotics uses both ACS & Microsonics for their Custom Fit program. Mine were made by ACS and they're pretty good.

Dec 29, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #4 of 4
The shure olive medium tips work well but are very tight so take removing and putting on.

I recently bought these from the Earplug Store. They are bent like a custom tip and the little ridges are extremely soft and pliable helping make a comfortable deep seal.

I also have ordered the custom tips from Etymotic (they actually come from ACS) but have not heard anything from anybody so am waiting until after New Years day to get some answers. I will post what I think of them after I get them though. From what I read they should have the best isolation and the best comfort but time will tell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back