Customs: Comfortable or not?
Nov 16, 2008 at 10:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

pila405

500+ Head-Fier
Hey, i wanted to buy the custom molded UE-10 but wanted to know first, from your experience, is it comfortable this custom molded acrylic thing when it is sitting in your ear for couple of hours?

do you advise me to buy this custom molded IEMs at all? from reasons of: Sound quality, isolation, comfort [i have small ear canal so i cant use my E2C for example] ?
confused.gif

Nov 16, 2008 at 11:25 AM Post #2 of 33
from all accounts, they're comfortable if you get the right fit. so get a reputable audiologist. someone who's familiar with making molds for earphones not just hearing aids, which are much less demanding.

Nov 16, 2008 at 12:38 PM Post #3 of 33
I went to audiologist who normaly takes molds for hearing aids, but she is doing it few times every day...and they were mentioned at UE's site.

Nov 17, 2008 at 6:37 AM Post #6 of 33
thank you all for answering, but i realy need an impression from someone who had/have an experience with UE custom products.

Nov 17, 2008 at 8:35 AM Post #7 of 33
Hi, it took quite a bit of getting used to for my ears.

I did an open mouthed impression as recommended by UE and the monitors ended up rather tight- making my ears sore for about 2 weeks. I persisted and sort of adjusted to the monitors after that and they can sit comfortably for around 3 hours before my ears get tired. They are more comfortable than universals but getting a good fit can be tricky as some headfiers here will attest.

As regards SQ, my UE11 are definitely better than the TF10s that I used to have but is the improvement worth the price difference? Not quite but if you want to experience what the UE10s or 11s are about, you don't have much of a choice. On a side note, my customer service experience with UE was also not as stellar as some members have put it on head-fi. Even with the legendary Jeanette Coffey, things were a bit frustrating at times. I guess being an international customer did not help.

Perhaps you'd want to check out the ACS T1 as well.

Best of luck.

Nov 18, 2008 at 8:02 AM Post #8 of 33
I find my customs quite comfortable. I can listen to 3 to 4 hours without a problem before I have to let my ears breathe for a few min.My 11,s fit better than my 5c's, but both are quite comfortable far more than any universal I have tried.

Nov 22, 2008 at 8:11 PM Post #10 of 33
I did impressions with my jaw just relaxed.

Customs (even hard acrylic ones) are so unbelievably comfy compared to universals. If the fit is good you don't loose the seal as you do with universals, and they isolate nearly as much as Ety's if they fit well (etys isolate the most out of all IEM's, so the isolations is above-par by a long way)

They just "disappear" so to speak compared to uni's.

Silicone customs (eg. ACS T series) must be even better (but harder to adjust fit at home as clear nail polish wouldn't work as well)

Matt

Nov 22, 2008 at 8:15 PM Post #11 of 33
Why don't you get something a little cheaper for a year or so , like Sleek Audio customs which are 300. Instead of spending so much, to see if you like custom's. Sleek Audio's sound great, won't have the bass like the UE's but will sound amazing still. Or livewires.

Both are custom's and are 300 or less. Sleek has amazing audio for their one balanced armature. Or wait for Westone 3, which everyone is hyped for.

But UE custom's are great. Everyone who has a pair, won't get anything different, loyalty like no other.

Nov 22, 2008 at 8:33 PM Post #12 of 33
i know that i will like them because i like IEMs, or maybe it is realy diffrent? and if not, why should i spend extra 300$?

Nov 22, 2008 at 9:25 PM Post #13 of 33
By jumping to the top now, you will save money overall, but there will be nothing higher to move onto when you have an increased income, like if you have a hi-fi, and a tv in your room at a young age, when you are in your teens, there is nothing else to get/look forward to getting.

You will like customs though, i'm sure.

Nov 22, 2008 at 9:55 PM Post #14 of 33
my experience is that in-ear 'phones take a long time to get used to. I'd say it took me over a month to learn how to properly wear my SE 210's just the way I like them. However, their shape (I guess by chance) is so good for my ear, I've worn them for over 12 hours straight while studying for final exams (although not playing music the whole time - sometimes just for isolation) with no discomfort. Unless you get a really high end IEM like the UE 10 or 11, I think the money is best spend on a really good triple or dual driver universal fit 'phone (as long as you know it will be comfortable for a long time).

I'm waiting for the westone 3, but otherwise I'll probably just get the SE 530's

Good luck

Nov 22, 2008 at 10:15 PM Post #15 of 33
I would say if going that route Mike, go for a lower-end custom.

Headphoneaddict i believe prefers his (stock) livewires over SE530, and the cost difference is huge, and the LW is custom fit too, and LW's with a high end custom cable are apparantly much better, triple driver universal slayers at the same price (or less) I would say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back