Customer leather holster: Fiio X5iii & A5
Jul 21, 2017 at 10:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

haoyuan

100+ Head-Fier
Hello. Wanted to share this with all of you who wants to find a better to carry your X5 and A5. After using the A5 with the X5iii, I wanted to make it a permanent part of my setup because of the sound improvements. Much complaint for the X5iii on the Chinese forums is related to how it handles bass. Loose and cloudy (fluffy) they say. The soundstage is bigger with the A5 and the bass is no long loose, or cloudy.

Fiio includes cases for the player itself, or the AMP itself, but not both together. Right now the only official solution is rubber bands but they are unwieldy and it doesn't really serve to protect the music player. Even the new stacking kit for the X5iii is very ugly and impossible to pocket.

Since I was in China and purchased the X5, I found a leathersmith custom tailor a leather holster for the X5 and the A5. I wouldn't think about doing that in the US because sheer price of development but it was still feasible in China. Before getting the case, I dropped the player couple of times from short height. With that in consideration, I had him add a hook and also strap to further secure the player (also making it look really cool, as the strap and buckle doubles as a temporary IEM collector). The shortcut keys on the player are also accessible through pressing on the leather and all the ports are available. He also used the same sheet of leather to make a couple of cord manager for me. I chose the red leather to match my player though he had all the regular colors (brown black toffee etc).

Since the dimension are the same, I'm sure this case will also work with earlier generation of X5 (first and second gen) and as well as E12, E12a, or any combination with similar dimensions. If there are any interests in the case, I can see if he's willing to make more and ship directly to the US.

IMG-2623.JPG IMG-2624.JPG IMG-2626.JPG IMG-2628.JPG 296C6E83-F9BC-4335-98C1-A504B1C01105.JPG CCF8145A-0EFF-4582-92ED-2D74D831526E.JPG 143979BC-D6B4-452A-97D3-8A44BC5EB25D.JPG

Attachments

• IMG-2625.JPG
    IMG-2625.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 0
Jul 22, 2017 at 6:02 AM Post #3 of 4
Heat was an original concern, I used some prototypes before final design and I'm happy to report that during normal use the heat builds up but stays at an acceptable level.

Don't charge it while plugged in though, because that will get too hot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back