custom vs universal fit
Jan 2, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #4 of 12
no seriously... is it really that hard to work out, the answer is in the question, one is custom and one is universal, custom means... a one off, customised, in this case, made to fit your ears only and with your choice of colours and design and in some cases specification. universal means everybody, not customised, in this case made for every ear and sold in the thousands as one design. customs cost more because they are made for you and specifically for you, giving ideal comfort, design and sound you want.

Jan 2, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #7 of 12
Theres a popular legend which says the fit of an iem can only be defeated by a custom iem. I hope you would find and read through the amazing story of the legend and be enthralled with it :wink:

Jan 2, 2012 at 11:50 AM Post #8 of 12

Quote:
Theres a popular legend which says the fit of an iem can only be defeated by a custom iem. I hope you would find and read through the amazing story of the legend and be enthralled with it
wink.gif

Totally agree...

Jan 2, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #9 of 12
If it's an IEM, just get a custom sleeve (tip) if you like your universal and just want a better fit. 

Jan 3, 2012 at 4:05 AM Post #10 of 12
Simply put:
-Universals, as the name suggests, are universally going to fit in your ears (tip dependant)
I can get out the earbud and shove them in my friend's ears (lol)

-Customs, are CUSTOM, thus these are made per person - as all our ear canals are different in some way, shape or form, they are not universally "transferable".
So if you bought some USED customs, you would have to get them "re-moulded" for your ears.

Customs provide better SQ (usually) but then again are A LOT more expensive than your ordinary universal.

Jan 3, 2012 at 11:21 AM Post #11 of 12
3 comments:

1) Customs sound "a little bit better" that the best high end universals but cost almost 3X as much?   You must ask yourself it it is worth it "TO ME."

2) If you generally do NOT have fit issues with universals, this is great and should play into the value of a universal versus custom.

3) If you spend a ton of money on customs and have fit issues it is a sickening nightmare.  No way around that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back